Functional Sport vents with Vararam CAI, thoughts?

Where should I put the outlet?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
I am wanting to get some feedback on this before I waste my cash.

I have found the parts that I believe will work to route functional sport hood vents from the vent into the area sealed off by the VR CAI. I plan to run the ducts above the hood liner from the vents and then down through the hood liner (formed and sealed) into either side of the VR filter. Thoughts on where above it to dump the air? This is where the variables come in that make me question if it is worth doing.

Mount the outlets as far forward in the hood liner as possible, space allowing, to reduce likely hood of incoming air from grill trying to force its way out the sport vents? Or mount it farther back to reduce the distance and direction the sport vent air has to move before being dumped into the intake.

These two questions are what make me wonder if this is actually even something that would produce any benefit at all. I imagine the air coming through the front of the truck would be greater than that through the vents and I would hate to just open an exit lol.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think it would be super beneficial unless you could seal the air ducts to the filter to create a true ram air effect

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
I don’t think it would be super beneficial unless you could seal the air ducts to the filter to create a true ram air effect

I would not be doing it any other way. I am going to mount/seal intake to inside of the sport vent, then seal and run air duct to that will drop out of the hood liner and the liner will be sealed to the outlet. 100% seal.

**edit re-read it. You mean running the duct straight up against the filter? It could be done with a 2pc system I suppose, but that would probably cause the labor/cost to go up significantly, this would also increase likely hood of moisture getting in.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not be doing it any other way. I am going to mount/seal intake to inside of the sport vent, then seal and run air duct to that will drop out of the hood liner and the liner will be sealed to the outlet. 100% seal.
I’m talking the whole thing. Including the front opening for the vararam need to be sealed off. That way the sport vents would be your only means of air. If you were to create a sealed chamber that the hood sealed to around the filter to force the air directly through then I think you would be good because it would create a mildly pressurized chamber at higher speeds and only fresh air when slower or idling.

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
That seems like it would make the VR pointless and it would be like the stock intake only maybe even less airflow? I don't feel like those sport vents are going to add a ton of air, so blocking off the front would reduce how much air goes in.

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Airflow dynamics and pressure/backpressure are not things I have dug deeply into, which is the main reason for posting this. Wanting to see if activating the sports in tandem with the VR would add anything or if it would just allow air to fight to flow out of the sport vents.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much the vararam wouldn’t be the vararam. And the factory has a performance intake that utilizes the sport hood. I would leave the vararam alone personally as I think all the work would be for little effect without setting up something like this

96C9B201-E0B2-4A78-B1AB-DBFD9E2E865C.jpeg

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
I see what you are saying. I will take that into account. Thanks man

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much the vararam wouldn’t be the vararam. And the factory has a performance intake that utilizes the sport hood. I would leave the vararam alone personally as I think all the work would be for little effect without setting up something like this

View attachment 136639

And if anyone's wondering about the Mopar system he's referring to, here's a link!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
For what it is worth, this is what I figured would do the trick. Have not searched out cheaper solutions yet.

ventset.jpg

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
And if anyone's wondering about the Mopar system he's referring to, here's a link!

TXCOMT

thanks for that, pricey kit hehe :)

I am just wondering if this would introduce enough air into the VR housing to be of benefit, even if it isnt a huge benefit. Would be a fun project.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always wondered the effectiveness of the sport vent if open. Since at speed there's probably more air going over the vent doesn't this create a venturi effect that pull air out of the vent instead?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
VR may have drain holes, but they were designed to deal with a limited amount of water entering from the front. Start dumping water in from different directions and I'm not sure how it would work out.

OP
OP
SportinaHemi

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
I always wondered the effectiveness of the sport vent if open. Since at speed there's probably more air going over the vent doesn't this create a venturi effect that pull air out of the vent instead?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Yeah that was one of the things I was wondering about.