Gas tank just about fell out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post a pic with the holes for others to see.

So the letter is just to inform us the warranty on the brackets have been extended doesn’t mean they’ll just add new brackets if yours look ok?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those brackets that hold the gas tank straps have no drain holes which is why they rot out. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the frame pocket to allow for drainage and when I did a bunch of rusty water poured out of them. Then I saturated them with Fluid Film.

HUGE design flaw...

I am hoping mine are filled with Krown rustproofing as I get it sprayed every year right before winter.

I should probably drill a hole in mine too.

(Edit: I was thinking the hole could easily get filled with mud and crap. I might just fill mine full of grease instead.)

I know you have posted a pic of this before but if you have one handy this would be a good place for it.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am hoping mine are filled with Krown rustproofing as I get it sprayed every year right before winter.

I should probably drill a hole in mine too.

(Edit: I was thinking the hole could easily get filled with mud and crap. I might just fill mine full of grease instead.)

I know you have posted a pic of this before but if you have one handy this would be a good place for it.

Yeah they do get somewhat blocked by crap. However I've only had to clear one out so far. A quick shot of compressed air from the bottom of the hole and it was cleared out.

Here's some pics. Also there's pockets like this on the passengers side frame rails across from where the gas tank strap mounts are as well. Second pic shows what it looks like, I drilled a hole in those as well and soaked them with FF. This was when I first drilled them out and you can see the remnants of rusty water that drained out.a815e8a290e61cc9b49eef74aa4863fa.jpg0650d0ee71434457badca532d0112939.jpg

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm in canada as well. Had the tank strap recall done on my 2011. It didn't fail though. Autopark on my 2017. Not sure what year they modified the fuel tank mounting, but the newer 4th gens don't have that recall.
Same here, I remember the strap thing, but could have just read about on here, I did the auto park thing my self from info on this form, everyone once in a while, it bugs me . If I was still farming , I maybe would delete it. '14 8 sp.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Just ordered a 2021. Mistake on my part? I don’t want a Pinto!!

OP
OP
smithwessn

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The recall was done on my truck today. It took about 3 hours to complete. The dealership was pleasant to deal with, no complaints about the level of service.

I'll be heading back up to the hunting camp this evening to spend a couple of more days hunting. It's about a 2 hour, 110 mile trip. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a CEL for an evap code since they just had the tank down.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did an oil change yesterday on my truck and had a look at the tank strap mounts. My brake lines run right across both of them and it made drilling a hole in them next to impossible and there was not even any room to get at the rear one. I ended up draining about a half a can of Fluid Film into each one of them, hopefully that keeps them from rusting out. I think i will do this every oil change from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie is a very recent purchase. I believe I am the second owner. It was safetied and I had a good look at the underside while up on the hoist. It is a very clean truck, very little rust considering it is Canadian and a resided in the "salt" belt. I looked up recalls but I missed the fact that the fuel tank bracket recall had not been done so sure as heck the other day I see something odd. You got it, fuel tank hanging down just as shown in other pictures here. Jesus H...Appointment at dealership today. What the recall says is they will reinforce the bracket BUT if the front strap let go they will also replace both straps, front bracket and lock nuts (not sure where those are). Love the truck but 4WD not working now. code says front actuator solenoid. Could be fuse, wiring or the actuator. I bet it's the actuator. Will fix it myself unless the dealer gives me a good deal which is of course unlikely. It was working fine so I am not worried. I just got a BLUE DRIVER OBDII reader. Very nice gizmo for the price. Highly recommend it.