Gas vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, one is a turbo diesel with 1000 ft-lbs of torque and the other is not, so of course there's a difference.

People think a gas v8 turning 4200 rpm for 20 minutes is horrible for it, but wouldn't hesitate to run an outboard motor around at 4200 rpm everywhere it goes It's whole life. Both are designed for it and will happily do it practically forever if cared for. Sure, it's noisy and burns a lot of gas. The diesel is also noisy and burns a lot of fuel ripping up long grades.

The exhaust brake is great, no doubt about that. It's hardly a must have though, unless you are towing heavy and aerodynamic loads that likely require the diesel anyway. Within the constraints of its rating, the gas engine is fine. Even towing up and down grades within what it is designed for.

I've been a farmer my whole life. I've dragged a whole lot of stuff around with severely overloaded old busted up farm trucks that couldn't run out of sight in a week both gas and diesel. I enjoy my modern diesel truck, but I got it because I wanted it. A whole lot of the farm hands are running gas 1 tons now because they've all been burned by expensive diesel repairs in recent history and have seen the gas trucks just keep on dragging hay drama-free.
Dang...the farmers around me all get new trucks every year, so they don't need to worry about them going to crap!!!