Goaded into buying a used 1500 Hemi...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lepalba

Lepalba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Who goaded you into the purchase?

My co-worker. I needed a new vehicle and played with the idea of owning a truck. He hyped Dodge Ram so much, that I just went ahead on one he found on Craigslist. Since buying the truck, he's now telling me I'll regret having it since it's a gas guzzler and the maintenance is difficult etc, etc.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
My co-worker. I needed a new vehicle and played with the idea of owning a truck. He hyped Dodge Ram so much, that I just went ahead on one he found on Craigslist. Since buying the truck, he's now telling me I'll regret having it since it's a gas guzzler and the maintenance is difficult etc, etc.
Maintenance is not difficult. Good oil and oil filters for engine oil changes and you'll be fine. I personally use Amsoil in my vehicles and it does really well. Others use Redline, others use Mobile 1. A good synthetic oil will be good for the Hemi.

Checking the suspension components is not a bad idea, and changing out all fluids isn't a bad idea either.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I look at it like this; if I do actually become a victim of a lifter calamity....perfect excuse to drop a 6.4 in it :D

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like a great guy! (sarcasm)

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have 2) 2012's, a 1500 with 153,000 miles doing great and a 2500 work truck that I had one lifter that the roller bearings went bad with 243,000 miles on it which of course made me replace the cam and lifters. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I see the pic in the initial post shows a single exhaust. I thought all hemis have dual exhaust and the v6 had single.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
...and now the headlight assembly went out. It drives well for 100k miles 2016 V8, but after reading through this forum, I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea to get this. I'm so terrified of this "Hemi tick" I keep reading about, fortunately I can't discern any ticking noise from the engine... I'm going to give it a multi-point inspection seems okay to do.

View attachment 548465
You found the right place as even if you get the tick, this forum has an 80% success rate at killing it with nothing more then choosing a specific oil. Til then use whatever oil you want and don't worry, 2016 was when they beefed up the lifters as well, by making the roller pins thicker. Lubeguard biotech is the proper moly additive if you want a little more protection for that cam which is at the center of hemi tick, you can buy 32 ounce size and it's two oils change worth. No you don't need this, but if you want the insurance against tick this forum has proven that specific additive for specific reasons can help, look up thread in my sig if interested. Enjoy the truck, may regular cabs live forever!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it's a gas guzzler

All trucks are.

the maintenance is difficult

You frequently hear that older vehicles are easier to work on. Granted my 93 Sierra is a 1500 and my 09 Ram (3rd gen like yours) is a 2500 so It's not exactly apples-to-apples but either way, my Ram is easier to work on than the Sierra.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, drive it, maintain it and enjoy it. Biggest thing is regular MX like oil changes, filters and such.

MY 19 is a pretty dang good truck. Since it was 1st year new design, I knew going in had to play with the new things just out. My biggest issue is poor to OK AC performance. And yes I had a few extended warranty things done, but heck, get behind the wheel drive it and Enjoy it.

FTR: My RAM is a bonafide Driveway Princess, not got 25K on Odometer yet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have to look more at the rams on the road. I know mostly i see 2500s with the single exhaust or v6 1500s. I didn’t realize 1500s with hemi had.
Upper trim level trucks from the Express on up are usually the only ones getting the dual exhaust,lower trim levels like Tradesman's / ST's etc get a single exhaust

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I bought a 2022 in April and I've been a nervous wreck ever since , plus now stalantis laying off over 2,000 people and seems like they are going to go out of business, I love this truck by the way
They are discontinuing the Classic model this year and the bulk of that layoff is in connection with that.

dibber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah I know about the classic , just hope ram stays in business

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Upper trim level trucks from the Express on up are usually the only ones getting the dual exhaust,lower trim levels like Tradesman's / ST's etc get a single exhaust
I was confused about the single exhaust as well. Didn't know that.

I'm still confused about "headlight assembly". Don't all Tradesman Classics have the quad configuration with standard bulbs?