greasin that hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
what kind of light grease would anyone recommend to apply a light coat onto the hitch and pin.
I had a bumper step in my square hitch, and it was hell pulling it out when I needed to.
I was thinking about applying something to the hitch and lock pin, to help prevent rust and to help remove it more readily

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I worked with Heavy Construction Equipment & before that Agricultultural Equipment.

All of the Agricultultural Equipment hitches showed excessive wear

For about 15 years of working with the Heavy Construction Equipment, we were told to stop lubricating the hitches.
The reasoning was that lubrication attracted sand & that sand would cause excessive wear.

If you are always hooked up & lubed, you likely have something abrasive in the lube.
Consider disconnecting & wiping off the lube as part of your routine maintenance.
You will always have a build up of gunk around the hitch receiver.
Remove it if it is not in use.
Some cities have a Rule about hitches, if someone hurts their leg on a Hitch Receiver & it is not hooked up to a trailer ......

OP
OP
Average_gatsby45

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
I worked with Heavy Construction Equipment & before that Agricultultural Equipment.

For about 15 years of working with the Heavy Construction Equipment, we were told to stop lubricating the hitches.
The reasoning was that lubrication attracted sand & that sand would cause excessive wear.

If you are always hooked up & lubed, you likely have something abrasive in the lube.
Consider disconnecting & wiping off the lube as part of your routine maintenance.
Some cities have a Rule about hitches, if someone hurts their leg on a Hitch Receiver & it is not hooked up to a trailer ......
if i'm in a period where i am pulling alot, i swing my b and w tucked in to keep it from being a knee knocker, but mostly i havea rounded off bumper step i keep in place -

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another vote for don't lube. Better to remove periodically and wash it out. Leaving hitch assembled makes it a maintenance item just like changing oil and rotating tires.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Chassis Grease.

Trailer hitch is akin to a 5th wheel on a semi tractor - high load / slow motion. Medium or light soap (NLGI No. 1 or 2), heavy oil vis, MoS2 ('Moly') additive a must.

Retired Lubrication Engineer.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man I used to leave my hitch on... and greased the ball. No matter what I was guaranteed to brush up against that greasy ball hitch with light colored (clean) pants every SINGLE time!!! :banghead:

I'd probably just spray some WD-40 inside the tube if that's what you're aiming for. Or brush some light oil in it...if you have an angle brush around. Cheers!

:D

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it means he ...well I better keep things clean, and stop right there ;)

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I used to leave my hitch on... and greased the ball. No matter what I was guaranteed to brush up against that greasy ball hitch with light colored (clean) pants every SINGLE time!!! :banghead:

I'd probably just spray some WD-40 inside the tube if that's what you're aiming for. Or brush some light oil in it...if you have an angle brush around. Cheers!

:D
Ha! Messed up you acid washed jeans?

Would do the same. Little water displacement 40. Grease will attract more dirt and makes handling a mess.

My ball does has a socket the instructions recommend you pack with grease. Only use a little.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Does this mean you ran out of lube..........LoL

I always have sufficient lubricant of required varieties.

For those of you not liking greasy balls, I encourage you to get a rubber ball cover. Grease your balls, then cover them with your rubber cover.

No more greasy balls to rub against.

Yes, all the puns are intended.

You're welcome.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always have sufficient lubricant of required varieties.

For those of you not liking greasy balls, I encourage you to get a rubber ball cover. Grease your balls, then cover them with your rubber cover.

No more greasy balls to rub against.

Yes, all the puns are intended.

You're welcome.
1712713581534.gif

SidVicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
what kind of light grease would anyone recommend to apply a light coat onto the hitch and pin.
I had a bumper step in my square hitch, and it was hell pulling it out when I needed to.
I was thinking about applying something to the hitch and lock pin, to help prevent rust and to help remove it more readily
Plan ole Axle grease works well.

SidVicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi

I agree. I always put my hitch up after use. Cost too much to have it stolen. I know what is like to hit your shins on a hitch that someone left on the vehicle.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha! Messed up you acid washed jeans?

Ha ha...good one. I wasn't an acid-washed kind of guy. It was always a pr of work khaki's or something like that ...no matter how often I told myself to NOT touch the ball-hitch. Somehow I'd have to get something out of the bed and BAM! Get me every time. Or bang my shin into it and be limping for the rest of the day.