Hard or Soft Tonneau Cover ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I got a deal on mine when I bought the truck, just had to take it back and let them have it for a week (they did get me a loaner Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it wasn't me new truck!). I got the Retrax Tonneau Retractable Bed Cover as I don't use the full bed anyway. I just wanted another truck! Yes, I know it was dirty when I took the pic! LOL!
20240420_185431.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks pretty good. I forgot about that style. I don't see them too much around here. What's the good and bad on them if I can ask?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What do you mean by bed rails? As in, the decorative rails that mount to the top of the bed rails? If so, yes, some covers will work with those. Paragon covers will work with them.
Yes the rails that mount above the fenders !

OP
OP
T

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I had a hard on my previous Raptor and gen 4 1500.
I had a soft on my gen 5 1500 and my current 2500.

They have advantages and disadvantages.

Hard looks best and is most secure obviously, even though a crook can easily pop it with a crow bar. But it’s a deterrent and definitely better than soft material that could be cut. I also found they both have same level of water-tight-ness

my biggest issue with the hard cover and why I haven’t gone back to it is that I was once loading up some materials and had the hard cover unlocked and folded back but not strapped as I just folded it to load stuff and then was going to put it back down and lock it.
Well a monster gust of wind lifted the hard cover up and smashed the rear window out.
Not that this couldn’t happen with a soft cover but it just made me stay away from hard covers since then.
Hummmm ? good point I never thought about ?
The wind blowing it off...... I believe that
I live on top of a high mountain where open areas and weather stations record wind gusts of 70 MPH
I don't worry about a head wind while driving but the cross winds getting under my cover.
That's good to know.....Thank You for that

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One word of caution on the soft, and some of the hard covers, if your truck ever has to be towed backwards on a flatbed, or wrecker, make sure the cover is removed or secured extremely well. Just FYI, and a good tow truck operator will know that as well.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Will a Tonneau cover fit if you have a head ache rack installed ?
Thanks

MOPAR TECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GETTING A BED COVER ITS REALLY UP TO YOU BUT I AM LOOKING INTO A HARD COVER BEACUSE WITH THE SOFT COVER IT CAN EASLY DAMAGED OR SOMEONE CUTTING IT WITH A KNIFE TO GET IN BACK WITH THE HAED COVER GIVES ME A PIEACE OF MIND THAT IT WIIL HARDER FOR SOMEONE TO BREAK INTO BACK OF TRUCK