"HD Outdoorsman Shocks"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows exactly what the deal is with my "HD" shocks. I have the Outdoorsman model, and I supposedly have different shocks than a non-Outdoorsman model. Are they longer/shorter/greater travel? Do they have a different damping coefficient (stiffer/softer)?

I am looking at adding a 2in kit in the front in the form of a spacer. Not sure which one yet, but I found some steel ones for like $80 and that seems like a hard deal to pass up. Then just add some airbags in the back IF I don't like the squat I get with my Timbrens.

Mostly just want to make sure that I can just add the spacer get an alignment, and call it good. Some companies I read about said that you would be fine leaving stock shocks on, but if doing much off-roading they recommended changing them out (I am assuming because you could hit full extension too much or something?). Just wondering if this type of policy is any different for my truck.

Thanks for your input.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BUMP for an answer... I never remember reading anything about the Outdoorsman HD shocks being different but it may be possible. Might be an upgrade I'd be interested in if it's true...

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Good question... I thought the TRX and Powerwagon's were the only ones who got "Upgraded Shocks"

I have mine sitting in the garage I might to some checking out on this one

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am pretty sure they are all heavy duty shocks. I just built a laramie limited 4x4 and outdoorsman 4x4 this is what it listed for both. I do think ride height is changed slightly on outdoorsman but that is all.

Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My SXT's build sheet said "heavy duty shocks" i was wondering if thats anything different as well. Does everyones have that?? id assume so... if my sxt had them haha

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My SXT's build sheet said "heavy duty shocks" i was wondering if thats anything different as well. Does everyones have that?? id assume so... if my sxt had them haha

here is what eshocks.com has for what each type are.
eshocks.com: Shock Settings

Bilstein Settings:
"COMFORT" SETTING

For the driver who wants maximum ride comfort, with the virtual elimination of "bottoming out" and vehicle sway.
These shocks generally maintain and, in many cases, enhance a vehicle's original ride qualities and, at the same time, increase roadholding and overall vehicle stability.

"SPORT"
SETTING

For the performance minded driver, Bilstein "Sport" shocks deliver absolute mastery of the mad surface.
Designed to push a car's suspension to its performance peak, these super-firm shocks are well suited for use with special springs, anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades.
As with other Bilstein shocks, "Sport" shocks are uniquely self-adjusting.

"HEAVY DUTY"
SETTING
For most vehicles including full-size
sedans, wagons and most trucks, these shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort.
Their superior damping ability makes them ideal for heavy hauling or occasional off road use --- while still maintaining an exceptional "street" ride.
As with all Bilstein shocks, these shocks instantaneously self-adjust to changing road surfaces. In addition, their performance does not gradually decline from age, use or heat --- requiring no compensating manual adjustments as with conventional multi-tube shocks.
"RALLYE"
& "RACE"
SETTINGS
Bilstein shocks designated "Rallye" or "Race" are specifically set to meet the rigorous demands of driving competition.
Their success should be measured by the unprecedented levels of accceptance and use by professional drivers in virtually all major motorsports.
"Rallye" or "Race" shocks may include such features as spherical bearings and adjustable spring seats longer or shorter than standard dimensions. They are usually not suited for street use.
"TOURING CLASS"

Touring Class shocks and struts feature the same German engineering and quality as the world famous Bilstein Monotube Gas Pressure Shock - but in a new, competitively priced twin-tube design.
Bilstein econoTC shocks and struts provide premium ride comfort and control characteristics, and meet or exceed original equipment specifications.
Edelbrock Settings:
IAS Twin Tube Shocks:
Edelbrock's Benchmark Shock Technology at an Affordable Price
Incorporates the Patented Inertia Active Valve for a Comfortable Ride and Good Handling
Cellular Gas Construction
Expanded 60mm Outer Tube Holds Additional Fluid
Twin Tube Construction Protects the Inner Tube from Damage for Durability in Extreme Conditions
Performer IAS Mono Tube Shocks:
Specifically Calibrated and Tested for Each Vehicle
The Same Mono-Tube Construction Used in Racing Shock Absorbers
Large, 46mm Piston for More Consistent Damping
Mono Tube Design Provides Excellent Heat Dissipation Resulting in Consistent Performance Under All Conditions
The Patented IAS Valve combined with High-Pressure Gas Charging Provides the Best Ride and Handling of Any Shock Absorber Made

Koni Settings:
The red KONI Special is designed for drivers who want to improve their car’s handling. Improved comfort and road holding combined with a higher level of safety, available for almost every car.
Each shock absorber is customised for the car model. Hence, a KONI Special is always the best choice for replacement as well as improvement.
The KONI Sport product line is one of our specialties. KONI serves sporting drivers with a carefully designed range of sport shock absorbers and suspension kits with lowering springs.
This line focuses on exceptional road-holding and handling properties, combined with an acceptable level of comfort.
Its characteristics include responsive steering, improved body control and limited body movements when braking and accelerating, all resulting in a direct feel and excellent wheel-road contact.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Ya, I don't know if it would have any impact on the HD trucks as I would assume they all have the same shocks, except maybe the PW to allow some extra flexing or something, but on the 1/2 tons I can see them putting in different ones.

Note to the TRX, PW comment, remember the Outdoorsman is basically just a rebadged TRX package.

Also, I don't know as I said before what the difference is, but does anyone else with a 1/2 ton have red shocks/red shock covers? Mine are red, not that red shocks are an indication that the hardware itself is any different, might just be for aesthetic purposes lol.

Back to my original question though, any thoughts on a 2in lift, and the life of my shocks?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i thought i read that the ride height on them was different which caused an issue for adding a suspension lift. ask Hell Bent steel, i'm sure they would know if there is any difference for level kits............and they will be close to that $80 range in price

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It's 0.7 higher in the front, which is why I was hoping the shocks were longer from the factory lol

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Although now that I think about it, that doesn't matter since the shocks are internal to the strut. A spacer would just shift the whole strut down resulting in different A-arm, and CV angles, but no other changes to function.

If I am right with this, why is it that some manufacturers recommend changing the shocks if you are going to do a lot of off-roading? It shouldn't make any difference.

Only other question is with a spacer, if you flex hard, and say one of your front, and its diagonal rear wheel is off the ground where does your front suspension bottom out? Do you crush your strut since it is now lower than stock, or does it compress enough that the A-arms hit the frame bump stop?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Big Horn and my buddy has an Outdoorsmen, and I heard that the outdoorsmen sits 1" taller. So we measured and they are the exact same height. Kind of weird.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm not sure that the outdoorsman are actually higher then other models. I've never seen it anywhere like the TRX but they could be

Although its not recomended by the spacer manufacturers, you can run a spacer
I would go with 2" over 2.5" just to be safe

They dont want you to use spacers on them because of the added height from the factory along with a 2" spacer may actually add a 2.5" lift because of the difference in geometry.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So the Ram website claims they are 0.7 in taller. They do have the same strut as the TRX (slightly longer) which means that the angle of the A-arms relative to the cross member is slightly greater, and overall height is greater when comparing two otherwise identical models

However you have to take into account things like different wheel/tire combos. The Outdoorsman is the only(?) model (in the 1/2 ton range) with the 17in wheels which stock tires included are like 32.4 overall height. The other trucks come with 20in wheels, and a 33in overall tire, so that is at least 0.3in of difference right there bringing the Outdoorsman's overall height to 0.4 in of the other trucks, and that is assuming the tires are perfectly round... Since they are not, and the 20s are wider they will flex less under the load of the truck, so I would happily say the tire/wheel combo alone is enough to make them appear to be the same height.

Add into that the weight that different options add, for example, my Outdoorsman has the hemi, not sure what the weight difference is, but I would happily bet it is at least a couple hundred pounds (that would decrease that 0.7 even more) add anything else, after market bumpers, extra lights, a full 32 gallon tank of fuel vs a 26... the list is very long. The most accurate is to just measure the actual struts unloaded which indeed are different lengths by about 0.5in resulting in what should be a 0.7in height increase.

This gets complicated fast lol, and I watched some guys on another forum bicker, and whine for ten pages about who was right, and who was wrong. Pretty sad especially when the name calling started, they could have just measured the A-arm angles, and that should have shown a difference, once again though assuming two otherwise identical models.

I think in the end since my struts are a little longer, I am going to do as stangshcky(? lol my bad) suggested, and just go with the 2in spacer. I have heard quite a few guys tell of doing this with no problems, and the manufacturer (Hell Bent Steel) is going to call me later today to discuss my concerns. I will post an update as to what they say when I hear from them.

Thanks for all the input guys.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2012 Outdoorsman and installed a 2" HBS level kit without any issues. I did contact HBS via email prior to ordering the kit just to make sure it fit the Outdoorsman. (they said yes)

Reactions: jlb

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The arguing referenced on the "other" Ram site is more evidence that this is the BEST of the BEST!!!

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have a 2012 Outdoorsman and installed a 2" HBS level kit without any issues. I did contact HBS via email prior to ordering the kit just to make sure it fit the Outdoorsman. (they said yes)

Unfortunately they haven't gotten back to me yet, so I will ask you instead lol.

Do you offroad hard ever, like not trying to destroy your truck, I am mostly concerned with any hard flexing that I might do.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the Ram website claims they are 0.7 in taller. They do have the same strut as the TRX (slightly longer) which means that the angle of the A-arms relative to the cross member is slightly greater, and overall height is greater when comparing two otherwise identical models

However you have to take into account things like different wheel/tire combos. The Outdoorsman is the only(?) model (in the 1/2 ton range) with the 17in wheels which stock tires included are like 32.4 overall height. The other trucks come with 20in wheels, and a 33in overall tire, so that is at least 0.3in of difference right there bringing the Outdoorsman's overall height to 0.4 in of the other trucks, and that is assuming the tires are perfectly round... Since they are not, and the 20s are wider they will flex less under the load of the truck, so I would happily say the tire/wheel combo alone is enough to make them appear to be the same height.

Add into that the weight that different options add, for example, my Outdoorsman has the hemi, not sure what the weight difference is, but I would happily bet it is at least a couple hundred pounds (that would decrease that 0.7 even more) add anything else, after market bumpers, extra lights, a full 32 gallon tank of fuel vs a 26... the list is very long. The most accurate is to just measure the actual struts unloaded which indeed are different lengths by about 0.5in resulting in what should be a 0.7in height increase.

This gets complicated fast lol, and I watched some guys on another forum bicker, and whine for ten pages about who was right, and who was wrong. Pretty sad especially when the name calling started, they could have just measured the A-arm angles, and that should have shown a difference, once again though assuming two otherwise identical models.

I think in the end since my struts are a little longer, I am going to do as stangshcky(? lol my bad) suggested, and just go with the 2in spacer. I have heard quite a few guys tell of doing this with no problems, and the manufacturer (Hell Bent Steel) is going to call me later today to discuss my concerns. I will post an update as to what they say when I hear from them.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Any trim level below lonestar/big horn(so st(including tradesman but not express), slt, and outdoorsman) come with 17" wheels with 265/70/17(31.6") tires

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Any trim level below lonestar/big horn(so st(including tradesman but not express), slt, and outdoorsman) come with 17" wheels with 265/70/17(31.6") tires

Touche...

The point is though that you can never really accurately measure the 0.7in difference in ride height since different optioning from one truck to another causes significant variation for many reasons. The easiest one being the different tires, and wheels.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Unfortunately they haven't gotten back to me yet, so I will ask you instead lol.

Do you offroad hard ever, like not trying to destroy your truck, I am mostly concerned with any hard flexing that I might do.

No, I'm not a big off road kind of guy. I get a little muddy from time to time but nothing I would consider true "off roading" that leads to hard flexing.