Headlight issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy Gray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Hello, I have a 2015 Ram 1500, 3.0 Ecodiesel. The other day I noticed I had my passenger side lamp out, but the daytime runner was still on. I replaced both bulbs with the same LEDs. Now, my issue is. the lights will go on and off by themselves. I noticed the other morning on my way to work, the passenger lamp turned off and then back on. a few miles later the Drivers side did the same thing. Now, yesterday both lamps shut off and were off about 10 seconds, and back on. I noticed I no longer have my Day time running lamps either. When I go into gear. the runners come on and then shut back off. Any help would be greatly appreciated, before I take to a shop. Thank you

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That LED bulb intermittent on/off behaviour or flickering is quite common with certain manufacturer's bulbs and your vintage Ram truck.

I often recommend that users choose specific bulb types that have successfully been used in their vintage trucks but AFAIK, the 2015 year was more problematic than other years.

Were the bulbs LED or incandescent before this recent fault?
If they were LED before, did you use the same manufacturer type of bulbs?
What LED make and model did you use?

Many users have been able to correct both flickering and intermittent on/off episodes by setting the bulb type to HID, using AlfaOBD.

Many members use AlfaOBD on an Android smartphone or tablet with a Bluetooth OBD2 interface but I strongly prefer a Windows laptop and a hardline USB OBD2 interface.

Commonly used Bluetooth interface;
OBDlink MX+

My preferred USB type interface;
OBDlink SX

If you search the site using the magnifying glass icon in the upper corner, you will locate many threads on LED lights flickering or LED lights intermittently shut off.

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy Gray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I replaced with same Sylvania LEDs that I had in it. I didn't have an issue until i noticed the passenger side was out. Since the replacement, to the new bulbs. I am now experiencing, both drivers and passenger sides turning off and back on, individually and both together

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced with same Sylvania LEDs that I had in it. I didn't have an issue until i noticed the passenger side was out. Since the replacement, to the new bulbs. I am now experiencing, both drivers and passenger sides turning off and back on, individually and both together

Just for clarification, how long had you been successfully using the LED lights before you noticed the outage on the passenger side?

I'm trying to get an idea of the age or vintage of the original versus the new replacement bulbs.

Unfortunately, with all this imported junk, there's not too much consistency or reliability from one batch to the next, at least with some products.

I've had good fortune with both Fahren and Auxito but with a 2015 Ram, you may still have grief.

If you read the many threads here on this topic, you will find many vintages from 2014 to 2016, especially 2015, that have this fault.

The only solution that I know of is using AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
A

Andy Gray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I've had the orginal LEDs for around 4 years, with no problems until the other day

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the orginal LEDs for around 4 years, with no problems until the other day

Thanks for that tidbit.

So, we can conclude that although you bought the same manufacturer's LED bulbs, the production dates are at least 4 years apart.

Given that this imported stuff often changes multiple times in a year, your new bulbs likely only share the same name, physical appearance, and not much more.

You might consider returning them if possible but there's no guarantee you won't have the same problem with another manufacturer.

The simplest solution is either find a buddy with AlfaOBD or buy it yourself. You may discover other useful options that you will appreciate.