Headlight problems What are these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConnieG4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8
I've been tracing my wires for my front exterior stock lights. Cleaning ground connections and looking for poor connections or exposed wires and I came across two? maybe relays? I'm not sure but they are part of the wiring harness that leads to my headlights, sidemarkers and fog lights. They are located just forward of the fender wells below the access hole for changing the bulbs. I have a 94 ram 1500 4X4 that used to have a snowplow on it before I got the truck. So it came with a mess of extra wiring under the instrument cluster and in the engine compartment. I've not been able to drive at night since I got it. the headlights come on but very dim and fade out after about 5 minutes. I've tested the relay and checked fuses and it has a new headlight switch. I've managed to eliminate a lot of the excess wiring from in the cab. I'm wondering g what these two parts are and if they could be the culprits. I have attached a couple photos. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm an amateur "wrench turner", DIY mechanic with only a minimal amount of electrical knowledge.

Attachments

• 20240704_201825.jpg
    20240704_201825.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240704_201734.jpg
    20240704_201734.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 6

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Inertial sensor for airbag deployment.

As for the headlights, if it had a snow plow headlight harness kit installed chances are that is the problem. They often corrode inside the rubber plugs that tap into the factory harness sockets. If you don't use a plow I'd remove all of it and return to stock.
Also check your grounds for that circuit.

OP
OP
C

ConnieG4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8
Thank you both, one less possibility. And yes I am in the process of removing all the snow plow wiring. Two problems there. 1st I haven't been able to find the schematics I need for my truck, I've found every other Ram truck schematics but so far not for my exact truck, seems like each one I've found skates around or always something is not the same. 2nd problem whoever wired in the snowplow did alot of their own hard wiring they didn't use a prefabricated harness. Oww , it gets my head spinning. Anyway onward I go. Thank you