Headlights had a lot of water in them ,Silicon Fix ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
in the process of changing out the headlight bulbs in my 2013 Ram 1500 I poured about an inch and a half of water out or each headlight.
Im thinking that I am going to be Better off to just run a good bead of clear silicon around the seal of the headlights before I put them back in to stop the water coming into the Headlights ,which it has obviously been doing.

I have already taken the vent caps off blew through them and put them back on just not pushed them on as far.

Clear Silicone do the trick ?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Best thing to do is find where the leak is and fix the actual problem. Could remove each housing, seal the bulb opening, and do a dunk test to find the leak. Since it is both bulbs, my initial guess is the seal around the bulb socket is bad. Sealing that with silicone will make it hard to pull apart next time.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best thing to do is find where the leak is and fix the actual problem. Could remove each housing, seal the bulb opening, and do a dunk test to find the leak. Since it is both bulbs, my initial guess is the seal around the bulb socket is bad. Sealing that with silicone will make it hard to pull apart next time.

I looked at the bulb seals and they 'looked'good and presented plenty of resistance to being turned in with no visible cracks,But who knows .

From what I can see, the seal looks like 'probably' the issue on both headlight's.

As of now my plan of action is to run a bead of clear silicon around the outside of the headlight ,
to make sure that it is well sealed and put some dialectric grease on the bulb seal, then when I put the bulb covers on the housing I will put a little grease on the seal for them.

Giving serious thought to laying a bead of clear silicon around both the circular covers and the turn signal hole as well.