Help, coolant disaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You hearing the ac compressor kick on and off?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't remember a bleed screw on a 318 water pump, but its' been a while.
Pull that thermostat out and check it in hot water, new ones can be bad. should open at 180
if it looks OK, I would pull the water pump, easy to do on these.
Is this the truck that was sitting for a long time? if so pull the hoses off and run garden hose and flush the rad and motor, Save your antifreeze if its new, check the hoses, make sure not sucking closed when running
Check the fan clutch, it should turn by hand , but not free wheel, but it should take a while to over heat is that was just the problem. you should hear it, loud if motor is hot and clutch working.
If it overheats fast, has to be bad pump, or plugged up or head gasket.
feel hater hoses , they should be hot as well ,turn heater on.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A bad rad cap can cause a heating problem, but it would not be a problem till it was hot
You never said , did all this start with the change of the thermoset?
When it's warmed up and you speed the motor up, you should see water flowing in the rad , with the cap off.

If you have a small leak in head gasket, you will not always see water in the oil, or oil in the water, but you can see bubbles in the rad. that's where the funnel helps.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you have the Climate Control set on low heat while trying to bleed the system

some people take a 1/32nd drill bit and drill a hole on the little skirt/rim of the tstat.

The new style Thermostats fail in the OPEN Position,
old style thermostats failed in the closed position, that often blew head gaskets

318 Dodge water pump removal VIDEO

nothing about Bleeding the system

you may want to take pix or draw a picture of the serpentine belt routing

Last edited:
OP
OP
David Vandercook

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the help, I have confirmed that the head gasket is good. Have not pulled the thermostat yet. I adjusted the carburetor and took it on a few drives this week, no overheating but still a bit of boiling. Otherwise everything is working as is.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the help, I have confirmed that the head gasket is good. Have not pulled the thermostat yet. I adjusted the carburetor and took it on a few drives this week, no overheating but still a bit of boiling. Otherwise everything is working as is.
Being that old, you may have a cooling system that needs a back flush. Also, check for loose fins between the core tubes.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 117151 miles.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Even when i was younger, i would take my running vehicle to a
Auto Radiator & Air Conditioning Shop that had been in business for 20 or 30 years.

I would have them give me a diagnosis on my vehicles radiator.

Then depending how complicated the radiator removal was, i would pull the radiator myself, or have a Radiator Shop do it.
Back then, all radiators were metal, core & tanks.
I would have them use their equipment to fully clean the radiator.
It would be like new when everything was put back together.

When the radiator core or tanks, or even both were damaged.
I bought new parts through the Radiator Shop, they had better prices than a auto parts store could ever give me.

I Eliminate the Middleman at every chance i get

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn’t realize this is in the first gen section, my comment on the bleeder screw was assuming you had a hemi. I have no idea about a 318

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That does all seem to be happening. After running for about I and a half minutes I can hear the pump kick in and I also saw bubbles and coolant rising in the burp funnel.
Are you sure you're not hearing your compressor kicking on? The water pump runs all the time when the engine is turning over. There would nothing to hear on the water pump - unless the bearings are going out.