Hemi Tick. Needing Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManuelCC92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L, V8
In need of some assistance. Dodge Ram 2014 Hemi Tick.Presented the issue within the past three days.

Quick Pre-amble

-I have broken studs on my exhaust manifolds. Tick Doesn't sound like an exhaust leak, but this is something I probably got used to when driving. These items will be changed.
-The water pump changed due to wobbling shaft, idler pulley, belt tensioner, belt, and thermostat.
-Engine oil drained and re-filled, oil inspected with a magnet for particles with no defects noted. Filter and oil changed (Regular servicing)

In chasing the system with a stethoscope, the only area that I can hear clicking is from the intake manifold. When touching the valve covers and blocks, no noise.

Is it possible for an exhaust manifold leak to present a tick on the intake manifold? I'm assuming I have the roller issue, just want to make sure.

I have a video that I will try to upload featuring the issue. If I can't, I'll happily email it to anyone that can help.

EDIT: No engine codes, constant ticking present through RPM Change, cold/warm engine

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had 3 broken manifold bolts, sounded exactly like a tick. Fixed them and tick was gone. Have those fixed and then see what you have. Also, review the oil thread stickys in 4th gen and search for key word Redline, using that oil, or a thicker oil, has also quieted engine.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Alot of times, the exhaust manifold tick will quiet once the engine warms, but sometimes the exhaust manifold warps so much that it doesn't seal well when warm.

Fix the broken exhaust bolts, belt sand or mill your manifolds flat, and see if the tick is still present.

Keep us posted.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my exhaust broken studs still ticked when warm. I knew the rears on both were snapped, you could wriggle the heat shields. I never listened to the intake with a stethoscope, so i can't confirm that. Very warped exhaust manifolds, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 from flat. I checked offerup and found a used 6x48 belt sander for $40. A cheap harbor freight belt, and lot of cast iron dust and they were FLAT. once back together, zero tick. If you know you have busted studs, start there. It has to be done anyway, so eliminate that.

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In need of some assistance. Dodge Ram 2014 Hemi Tick.Presented the issue within the past three days.

Quick Pre-amble

-I have broken studs on my exhaust manifolds. Tick Doesn't sound like an exhaust leak, but this is something I probably got used to when driving. These items will be changed.
-The water pump changed due to wobbling shaft, idler pulley, belt tensioner, belt, and thermostat.
-Engine oil drained and re-filled, oil inspected with a magnet for particles with no defects noted. Filter and oil changed (Regular servicing)

In chasing the system with a stethoscope, the only area that I can hear clicking is from the intake manifold. When touching the valve covers and blocks, no noise.

Is it possible for an exhaust manifold leak to present a tick on the intake manifold? I'm assuming I have the roller issue, just want to make sure.

I have a video that I will try to upload featuring the issue. If I can't, I'll happily email it to anyone that can help.

EDIT: No engine codes, constant ticking present through RPM Change, cold/warm engine
I had the same issue, I bought the tap kit for the Ram 5.7 engine and reverse bits, studs replaced, tick gone. A year later I did do a full cam and lifter rebuild.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
out of curiosity what kind of millage are you folks seeing before you get the dreaded hemi tick?

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How long /miles did the manifold bolts last before they broke creating the tick?

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long /miles did the manifold bolts last before they broke creating the tick?
Mine snapped at 65k. Many see it way before, some not at all. I don't know if it has anything to do with "spirited" driving habits, but I bet Wild one, or others might have opinions. I tend to either be creeping in bumper to bumper traffic, or WOT.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Quick Pre-amble

Because of the proximity it could be a noisy fuel injector.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111390 miles.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These threads are worthless without a vid upload of the noise try to upload one could be any one of the issues mentioned.