Hemi Tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey y'all,

I've been trying to track down a ticking noise that I've noticed since buying my '06 1500 (5.7 Hemi). It doesn't sound like the usual lifter or exhaust manifold tick based on what I’ve heard online. The noise only shows up when I accelerate past a certain point—not when I start the truck or at idle.

When I first bought it and drove it home, I stopped to check the oil, and it was pretty low. I added a quart of high-mileage full synthetic 5W30 and kept an eye on it. A couple of weeks later, the oil was low again, so I topped it off with another quart. After that, I started checking it daily, and five days later, I had to add yet another quart. Right after one of these top-offs, the noise seemed to quiet down a bit, but it’s never fully gone.

I’m getting ready to do an oil change soon and plan to switch to high-mileage synthetic blend 10W40.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you checked the oil when it had been running for a while, meaning the oil was all throughout the motor and not sitting in the pan. So it’s possible or even probably that the oil wasn’t actually low.

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you checked the oil when it had been running for a while, meaning the oil was all throughout the motor and not sitting in the pan. So it’s possible or even probably that the oil wasn’t actually low.
I've always been told that you need to let the engine run for a while before checking the engine oil level- is that incorrect?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always been told that you need to let the engine run for a while before checking the engine oil level- is that incorrect?
yes that is incorrect transmission fluid you have to let it run not engine oil. Also upload a vid of the noise older hemis are not reeally known for hemi tick/cam issues also how many miles on it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In order for the dipstick to read properly, the oil needs to be in the pan. The trans you check at warm idle. In fact, the owner's manual that you've likely never read (no one ever does lol) tells you.

p329.jpg

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In order for the dipstick to read properly, the oil needs to be in the pan. The trans you check at warm idle. In fact, the owner's manual that you've likely never read (no one ever does lol) tells you.

View attachment 550389
Sorry, I should've clarified, I don't mean check it while the engine is running. I mean after I turn it off- it sounds like that's the proper way to do it with a 5 minute delay.

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to get a video of the tick while parked, and it did it for a split second, then I couldn't get it to. I'll try and get one of my passengers to record a video of it later today, and I'll post it then. 224k
yes that is incorrect transmission fluid you have to let it run not engine oil. Also upload a vid of the noise older hemis are not reeally known for hemi tick/cam issues also how many miles on it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to get a video of the tick while parked, and it did it for a split second, then I couldn't get it to. I'll try and get one of my passengers to record a video of it later today, and I'll post it then. 224k
Lifter tick on startup for like 30 seconds is normal on a engine with that mileage the lifters bleed down when it sits

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Typically this happens throughout the drive. I just couldn't get it to this time. I'll try and upload a video today.
Lifter tick on startup for like 30 seconds is normal on a engine with that mileage the lifters bleed down when it sits

DieselWeazle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
According to my source the 2006 did not incorporate variable valve timing so that eliminates any cam phaser issues. So as I see it. here are the remaining variables to be ruled out. (a) Does oil pressure at rpm meet specs? (b) Hydraulic lifter malfunction. (c) Lifter roller needle bearing failure. (d) Reduced cam lobe height causes lifter piston to max out leaving excessive rocker geometry clearance. This last one can be verified by removing the valve covers and measuring the lift of each valve with a dial-indicator (or even visually if it's really bad). In my opinion 5W30 is too thin. Even the Dodge manual states to use a greater oil viscosity for extended highway or towing. I recommend at minimum a 10W30 synthetic oil with a high Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) content. See Royal Purple and Amsoil for it. If your lifters are sticking due to varnish, running a high detergent oils (mentioned) may dissolve it if maintained along with more frequent oil and filter changes. Some people think that synthetic oils can extend oil change intervals but this is wrong thinking for the engine. I hope this helps get rid or or prevent the Hemi Tick.

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info- I'm about to do an oil change and was planning on going to 10w40 anyways. I had picked out Castrol High Mileage Synthetic Blend 10w40- should I switch to amsoil or royal purple? (3rd times the charm lol. The Castrol 10w40 was a replacement for some 5w30 I got).
According to my source the 2006 did not incorporate variable valve timing so that eliminates any cam phaser issues. So as I see it. here are the remaining variables to be ruled out. (a) Does oil pressure at rpm meet specs? (b) Hydraulic lifter malfunction. (c) Lifter roller needle bearing failure. (d) Reduced cam lobe height causes lifter piston to max out leaving excessive rocker geometry clearance. This last one can be verified by removing the valve covers and measuring the lift of each valve with a dial-indicator (or even visually if it's really bad). In my opinion 5W30 is too thin. Even the Dodge manual states to use a greater oil viscosity for extended highway or towing. I recommend at minimum a 10W30 synthetic oil with a high Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) content. See Royal Purple and Amsoil for it. If your lifters are sticking due to varnish, running a high detergent oils (mentioned) may dissolve it if maintained along with more frequent oil and filter changes. Some people think that synthetic oils can extend oil change intervals but this is wrong thinking for the engine. I hope this helps get rid or or prevent the Hemi Tick.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically this happens throughout the drive. I just couldn't get it to this time. I'll try and upload a video today.
I bet its going to be a exhaust manifold leak the way you describe will see when you get the vid many people confuse the new hemi issues with the old hemis they never really had cam/lifter issues yours is just high mileage some noise is normal.

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I checked the driver side manifold and the heat shield didn't seem loose- I didn't dig into it much more than that. Here's the video- FYI it's quite a bit higher pitched IRL. The video makes it seem like a deeper throatier sound- its not.
I bet its going to be a exhaust manifold leak the way you describe will see when you get the vid many people confuse the new hemi issues with the old hemis they never really had cam/lifter issues yours is just high mileage some noise is normal.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to say from the vid It just sounds like your truck is hesitating alot?does not sound smooth under load any engine light or codes? Also whens the last time you did spark plugs ECT? I do hear a very small exhaust leak tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to say from the vid It just sounds like your truck is hesitating alot?does not sound smooth under load any engine light or codes? Also whens the last time you did spark plugs ECT? I do hear a very small exhaust leak tho.
Yeah it definitely hesitates. When I'm on the interstate, if I want to pass someone, I literally have to put my foot in the floor till it drops a gear and I can get some acceleration. I'm about to do my spark plugs and an oil change- who knows if they've ever been done haha. I've got some codes. CAT converter inefficiency, and a few other misc ones/ones that I can explain (eg headlight codes when I changed the bulbs to LEDs)

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may need new cat conveters since your truck is high mileage. They can make noise and make it run like crap if clogged your 02 sensors can also make it run like crap However start with new spark plugs.

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dang... not a cheap fix. I knew it had the code when I bought it, but I figured I could ignore it... I may do the plugs this weekend
You may need new cat conveters since your truck is high mileage. They can make noise and make it run like crap if clogged your 02 sensors can also make it run like crap However start with new spark plugs.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you think the tick is coming from the cats?
if they are clogged the engine can make all kinds of noise I would do the plugs clear out the codes drive it A shop will be able to tell if they are clogged with temp guns also looking ath the live o2 sensor readings to see if one is bad.

OP
OP
B

bbro44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay. I can pull up the live readings myself- what should I be looking for?
if they are clogged the engine can make all kinds of noise I would do the plugs clear out the codes drive it A shop will be able to tell if they are clogged with temp guns also looking ath the live o2 sensor readings to see if one is bad.