Here we go again! Rusty bumpers!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Ok, Im washing my truck and theres a streak running down from the back up sensor on the rear bumper, So I rinse it off and its ficking rusting around the sensor!. I take it they clipped the paint when they shoveled the sensor in. Its a leftover 2016 2500 that I have owed since new and had rustproofing done hoping it wont rust like my 2nd gen. My gen2 I had the bumpers off twice sand blasted for paint from rust and here we go again!. Thinking of pulling the sensor, sand, loctite rust stop then touch up. Band aid, Any better idea's?. 31k garage kept...B.S.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a good idea to deal with it now. You're wise to be looking into those things now. The sooner you do, the easier the repair, and less problems downstream.

Do you live in the rust-belt region? Could be that's a place where salt/ice/snow hangs up. (or chipped paint ...or both).

2016 isn't that old ...but then come this fall, it's going to be going on ~6-7 years old depending on the build date. I know a guy who's got a 2013 (only 3 years older) and it's got rusted 'out' rockers/cab corners & rear box wheel openings (we're talking big holes, not just minor rust). About 3 years ago they were just small bubbles under the paint. Now the rockers are half gone. Good thing you had yours undercoated (smart!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

big tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Yeah, I'm in northern Michigan so they salt the roads here. It just sucks to have to deal with eventually having to pull the bumpers and have them painted. If all the sensors start rusting from the hole's I might see what happens if I just unplug all of them? If it will set off codes and just go with the backup cam. Then buy a new bumper without the sensor holes if they make them, have the back side rust proofed.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you pull the camera out and get some grease around the hole? Or just squirt some oil up on it worst case. Better than nothing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you are far enough up North to get your vehicles sprayed with Krown Rust Proofing

That would help with pinch welds, cab corners, fender wells, door panels, etc.