Hhave some questions on upgrading the stock audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dnicho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all I have a 17' Laramie longhorn with the alpine 9 speaker setup and want too accomplish some things

1. Go to a dual 10" under seat style set up for the sub, thinking kicker compR for the sub and a scar box. Just to really bring out the low end without having the bass completely muddle everything else out

2. an opinion on upgrading all other 7 speakers being the 3 in dash and 4 door speakers, I've heard some good things about some infinity speakers in the doors and kickers for the dash but don't know enough to make that call to replace them.

3. I would prefer to keep as much factory stuff as I can, besides the actual equipment

How realistic is all of this and I love the sound of the stock audio but to me the lows in the sub range are not there enough for me and the doors and dash sound good but if they could sound better with some minor upgrades IE* plug and play speakers then it might be worth doing. Also please note this is my first experience with getting into car audio so i might be a little slow understand some things

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to crutchfield.com and enter your vehicle info. See what they have in the "plug-n-play" realm. They are a good resource.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@Dnicho -- I was in almost your same exact position a few years back - just in case you missed this thread I posted up a while ago...

I ended up keeping things pretty simple -- IMO.
- Added an amp
- REAL nice sub (used the factory enclosure, but reinforced it)
- Kept all doors / dash / ceiling speakers all factory - and running off the factory amp (until I see a need to upgrade... which -- don't know if I will as they sound excellent to me!)

The _only_ thing that's kind of a "gotcha" here (and is probably a pretty big one at that!) is that I upgraded my head-unit and this alone made the whole system sound completely different / better!!!! So introducing a high quality amp/sub to the mix was kind of a no-brainer to me...

My truck sounds absolutely fantastic (to MY ear) -- I had the bass-knob installed right next to my right knee (there's a little panel there that you can pop out and install switches on!) --> so I have BASS when I want it and can tone it down when I don't.