High Oil Fill Level on 5.7 Hemi - Cam and Lifters Prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheezy23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, long time reader and just recently made an account in the last year or so.

By this point I think we’ve all read up and heard of the Hellcat oil pump swap and reasons why that may not work to prevent lifter/ cam failures. Lots of other threads for that.

Now, something I’ve noticed on my last couple oil changes from dealership is that they are pretty significantly overfilling my oil, on one hand I was pissed because that can cause excessive wear of crankshaft bearings and cause all sorts of issues on almost all engines, sometimes even worse than low oil level, however I was just wondering if anyone else had anything to say on this with regards to providing extra splash lubrication or if anyone else does/ has done this practice over their engines lifecycle.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
How are you noticing it being over filled? Dip stick? What's the reading at? Going a tad over full (1/2 a quart or so) won't hurt anything. Going a quart over full is pushing damage territory. Any more than that and you risk blowing seals and causing catastrophic failure due to oil aeration.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How are you noticing it being over filled? Dip stick? What's the reading at? Going a tad over full (1/2 a quart or so) won't hurt anything. Going a quart over full is pushing damage territory. Any more than that and you risk blowing seals and causing catastrophic failure due to oil aeration.
You're not going to blow any seals from an overfilled crankcase,as there's no pressurized oil fed to any of the seals in the crankcase,there's also a windage tray between the crank and the oil in the sump,and you'd need more then an extra quart to get the oil level above the windage tray.

OP
OP
W

Wheezy23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would tend to agree. I work on engines for a living, just a tad bit larger.. and just about every manufacturer out there also agrees.

Just checking through dipstick but it’s hard to say, I’ve gotten my oil changes done from the dealership since I bought it new so I’m not sure in terms of quantity. I would say it’s pushing a good inch above the high line though.