hood sensor bypass for remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
so i dont really car about the hood ajar sensor and would rather bypass it then spend 50 bucks on a new hood latch. i know you can bypass it but does it need a resistor? i read a 12 model needed a 1k ohm one. would that be the same on a 17?

OP
OP
N

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
another question are the tombstone keys for 12 any differnt than a 17? i see several online but they stop at 12 and the ones that say up to 18 are double.

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang I was hoping for an answer to this question. I have traced and tested the wiring from the hood switch I just installed from said hood latch to the pin 11 on C1 A and it beeps on my continuity tester, But after reassembly I still get the HOOD IS OPEN message.

Also, do a search for that part number on ebay they are around 20 bucks if you look hard enough, and the switch is nothing more than a simple lever switch, probably with a built in resistor. I may disasymble mine and see what is inside it for sure.

OP
OP
N

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Dang I was hoping for an answer to this question. I have traced and tested the wiring from the hood switch I just installed from said hood latch to the pin 11 on C1 A and it beeps on my continuity tester, But after reassembly I still get the HOOD IS OPEN message.

Also, do a search for that part number on ebay they are around 20 bucks if you look hard enough, and the switch is nothing more than a simple lever switch, probably with a built in resistor. I may disasymble mine and see what is inside it for sure.
im sure its just a resistor i just dont know what type. ive seen them for about 25 after i posted its something i dont really need. hell i may need to start it with hood up even if im working on something.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can do this, you need to ground pin 11 in the BCM and use a tool like AlfaOBD to change the resistor setting.
Check out this mega thread for installing remote start. Lots of good info here:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
another question are the tombstone keys for 12 any differnt than a 17? i see several online but they stop at 12 and the ones that say up to 18 are double.
Don't quote me on this, even though I quoted you, I think that the RF Hub is different on the '13+

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I may be way out of line on this

But i think that with the 3rd Gen Rams through 2012 on the 1500s ( 2013 on the HD Rams ) every thing is in the ignition switch.

In 2013 Ram 1500, they mounted the RF Hub on the rear cab wall, behind the rear seat, Heavy Duty Rams, they did it in 2014

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the hood latch with the switch in it (by the way that is all it is, a push pin type switch NO resistor.)
It still kept saying hood open so I start tracing wires and all mine are there. Turns out the ground side of the wiring was not grounding. I ran a new ground wire to the switch and now the hood latch works like it should.
Use Remote start then, use hood release and truck dies. Resistor is set to 1k resistor in AlphaOBD and that is just about the resistance from ground bolt to the pin 11 on C1 A under the dash.
FYI Mine was .994 ohms resistance through the factory wiring to my add ground wire on the Ground lug on fender.

zachgti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just for reference, this is all the hood latch does. Looks to only be grounding BCM Connector 1 Pin 11 and thus closing the circuit.

Attachments

• hood ajar switch.png
    hood ajar switch.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 6

nsBoost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6
I just grounded the pin for a good while... after 6 months i decided to put a resister inline. Nothing changed and worked with and without.