How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Where are you located? Again there are some of us out there willing to do the computer part, you just need the seats. Heck looking at your harness the memory may work for yours as well. The gray harness is for the memory parts and yours looks fully populated.
From michigan. Cant seem to change my profile either lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe i have the ra3 but i really am not sure. How so i tell? 8.4 is size then yes. Can dealer add the codes to the bcm? I remember when i was at the dealer for recall i showed him my sub woofer and he said i was missing the module and more than likely if it was installed then he could tell it to work. He showed me right on his computer when my truck was getting updates the module for the amp wasnt lit up meaning it wasnt there. He was also curious because he had never done any mods like this.

If your truck has the 8.4" screen you either have an RA3 or an RA4 radio. The RA4 is the factory Nav unit. The RA3 radio has the 8.4" screen but does not come from the factory with the Nav enabled. You can have the Nav on the RA3 enabled and that is where people get confused between the RA3 and the RA4. The fasted way to tell is put the radio on AM or FM. If you have a icon for HD Radio on the screen it's the RA4 if you don't have the icon it's the RA3. Not sure what going on with my notifications on this thread. I have it set to notify me when posts are made so I can stay involved and it keeps turning off plus I cannot upload photos anymore. Frustrating.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If your truck has the 8.4" screen you either have an RA3 or an RA4 radio. The RA4 is the factory Nav unit. The RA3 radio has the 8.4" screen but does not come from the factory with the Nav enabled. You can have the Nav on the RA3 enabled and that is where people get confused between the RA3 and the RA4. The fasted way to tell is put the radio on AM or FM. If you have a icon for HD Radio on the screen it's the RA4 if you don't have the icon it's the RA3. Not sure what going on with my notifications on this thread. I have it set to notify me when posts are made so I can stay involved and it keeps turning off plus I cannot upload photos anymore. Frustrating.
I have the ra3

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
So is there no doubt if i get the wheel, seats, buttons and have someone tell it to work i should have no problem?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So is there no doubt if i get the wheel, seats, buttons and have someone tell it to work i should have no problem?

There is always doubt. These are unsupported modifications that up until recently most thought couldn't be done. We've seen a lot of differences between trucks so we're still learning.

So far everyone who has tried the heated portion has been able to get it to work, so the odds are in your favor. But, like I said, not guaranteed.

You also need to add a clockspring to the list.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There is always doubt. These are unsupported modifications that up until recently most thought couldn't be done. We've seen a lot of differences between trucks so we're still learning.

So far everyone who has tried the heated portion has been able to get it to work, so the odds are in your favor. But, like I said, not guaranteed.

You also need to add a clockspring to the list.
I seen that i would need clockspring but i watched a video and it doesnt seem like you can just throw that in without having it hooked to a computer. Any insight?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I seen that i would need clockspring but i watched a video and it doesnt seem like you can just throw that in without having it hooked to a computer. Any insight?

After the steering wheel is off the clockspring is just a screw or two and some connectors. You just need to make sure it doesn't rotate while it's out of the truck.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get heated and cooled seats without the clockspring, but the wheel its obvious. My truck did not come with any of the 3 options. I found that the driver seat alone will add the needed options to get them working. Even after adding the switch panel I still needed to "code" the truck to get the cooled fucntion working. The switch panel made the heated seats work without any coding from the AE tool.

FWIW I have a 2014 bighorn that came with factory RA4 radio.

Like 00R/T said there have been many variables some worked right out of the box, some needed only the switched, some needed coding and so on. Lucky some of us have the wiring in place. As the pictures you posted shows you have the wiring, you need the seats, and panel. This should be all for heated seats, the cooled seats you will need either the dealer or one of us with the tools to help you out. CylerTech can help you as well with a plug and play obd tool to get it all running as well.

The real pioneers are the ones who have had to lay on their back getting dirty with wiring and pin outs and so on. I got lucky.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like 00R/T said there have been many variables some worked right out of the box, some needed only the switched, some needed coding and so on. Lucky some of us have the wiring in place. As the pictures you posted shows you have the wiring, you need the seats, and panel. This should be all for heated seats, the cooled seats you will need either the dealer or one of us with the tools to help you out. CylerTech can help you as well with a plug and play obd tool to get it all running as well.

The real pioneers are the ones who have had to lay on their back getting dirty with wiring and pin outs and so on. I got lucky.

The dealer most likely will not be able to add the cooled seat codes to the truck if they are needed because it's not on the options list. You will need to either buy the AE tool to add the cooled seat code or find someone near you with the tool willing to do it. You can also purchase the OBD Genie to add the comfort codes to your truck which will include the cooled seats.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The dealer most likely will not be able to add the cooled seat codes to the truck if they are needed because it's not on the options list. You will need to either buy the AE tool to add the cooled seat code or find someone near you with the tool willing to do it. You can also purchase the OBD Genie to add the comfort codes to your truck which will include the cooled seats.

Speaking of tools, I strongly recommend that the average user attempt to obtain a Genie or similar for the things they want to add. I've recently discovered a few bugs in the AE tool that resulted in some corrupted values. I've been able to resolve them to the point where my truck is mostly working, but I now feel that the tool is even more of a risk than it was previously. If you're not prepared to figure out why your Occupant Restraint Controller suddenly starts throwing codes and disabling your airbag system, stick to safer methods.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
. I've recently discovered a few bugs in the AE tool that resulted in some corrupted values. I've been able to resolve them to the point where my truck is mostly working, but I now feel that the tool is even more of a risk than it was previously. If you're not prepared to figure out why your Occupant Restraint Controller suddenly starts throwing codes and disabling your airbag system, stick to safer methods.

Whoa, this should be public. What module it doing this! Ive been all over the place in this thing. Now I havent tried to make a lot of changes but seeing this Ill stick to what I know, but it might be good info for us all.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes, 00R/T I am very curious about this issue obviously. I installed mine originally without airbags and drove it like that for a few weeks with the airbag light on, then swapped out to airbag seats, light went out and then I cleared all DTCs and it's been flawless less the auto comfort feature, which I am sure is a setting stored in the seat module.

Can explain this issue a bit more please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Yes, 00R/T I am very curious about this issue obviously. I installed mine originally without airbags and drove it like that for a few weeks with the airbag light on, then swapped out to airbag seats, light went out and then I cleared all DTCs and it's been flawless less the auto comfort feature, which I am sure is a setting stored in the seat module.

Can explain this issue a bit more please?

Each Vehicle Config is a 8 Bit byte. The AE reads the byte from the BCM, then changes w/e you added/unadded and sends back the full byte to the BCM. In some cases it would take in say AF CD 84 32 84 AD 3C 8D 9A but then when it was time to send it back it would send AF CD 84 32 84 00 00 00 00 thus deleting whatever was in the last 4 bits and ******* stuff up, or in some cases it changes the values of bits that are 1 or 2 spots off, so if its supposed to change the 5th bit, it changes the 4th instead.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I haven't had a chance yet to start looking at messages to figure out exactly what it's doing, but I suspect there's an issue with the masks they're using on some of the data (like CuylerTech explained). All I know is that there are several things that have changed and I didn't do it directly.

I reported a while back that the soft keys on my splash screen are switched. I did some digging and found out my LHD/RHD Configuration was corrupted. If I try to fix it, it corrupts my country code and that throws off other modules (like the ORC).

This isn't surprising considering that functionality of the AE is unsupported and only there as a bonus for people who are brave enough to play with it. But, this discovery should serve as a further warning to be very careful when playing around with things.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
00R/T you did a lot of things that most of have not, as far as setting the seats, radio soft keys, EU mirror and steering wheel do you think any of these caused issue(s)? Or was it something else that you were doing that others would be wise to avoid?

As far as correcting stuff, will a dealer flash back to baseline reset everything and fix your issue(s). Also did you try the touching the battery cables together, somewhere I read this resets the modules in the truck?

Hate to be a pest but others will still use the AE, and since this happened to you, you are in the unfortunate position of figuring out what not to do and how to correct it. At least on a personal level.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
00R/T you did a lot of things that most of have not, as far as setting the seats, radio soft keys, EU mirror and steering wheel do you think any of these caused issue(s)? Or was it something else that you were doing that others would be wise to avoid?

As far as correcting stuff, will a dealer flash back to baseline reset everything and fix your issue(s). Also did you try the touching the battery cables together, somewhere I read this resets the modules in the truck?

Hate to be a pest but others will still use the AE, and since this happened to you, you are in the unfortunate position of figuring out what not to do and how to correct it. At least on a personal level.

I guarantee everyone that has used the AE tool has some bit that's written wrong, just the nature of the tool. I've personally seen it write wrong data into every vehicle config in a 16 Charger, 17 Challenger, 13 2500, 15 1500, 13 1500. Easiest fix is just get a restore then ONLY change the stuff you need, don't putz around trying different stuff. Doing a canbus reset with the battery cables won't solve anything, this specific issue is the BCM being programmed for the wrong stuff.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
After the steering wheel is off the clockspring is just a screw or two and some connectors. You just need to make sure it doesn't rotate while it's out of the truck.
What do you mean by making sure it doesnt rotate? I thought it would be replaced by a new one? Did i miss something? Guy in video counted the turns of old one and then set the new one to the same spot but he also had it hooked to a computer and he zeroed it in and then put it in. He said there was a tolarence but needed to be close

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What do you mean by making sure it doesnt rotate? I thought it would be replaced by a new one? Did i miss something? Guy in video counted the turns of old one and then set the new one to the same spot but he also had it hooked to a computer and he zeroed it in and then put it in. He said there was a tolarence but needed to be close

My new Clockspring came with a little plastic lock. It was set centered. I just made sure I had my wheels nice & straight. Then went to town. No problems for me

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

That's the whole issue. I don't know what I did specifically that messed it up. I'm very careful to take notes when I'm working on something so I can set everything back. But, the things I found that were wrong weren't anything that I had touched directly. I only noticed there was a problem months after I had last played with it, so it could have been anything that did it.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

If your new one is pinned, you don't have to worry about it. Just make sure you don't take the pin out until it is installed.