How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've never found one that cheap, or even close to it. They have gotten harder to find as of late too.

Did you give up on the Tesla Style radios?

M² Mods.
Giving up isn't quite what I would call it. It just took me a while to find one at the right price and have the money to get it.

I never intended to get a Tesla radio, but another forum member practically gave one to me when I thought I had bricked my RA4. Keeping it and helping others with radios was just paying it forward.

This Factory upgrade is what I would/have recommend(ed) folks do (because everything works).

Now all I need to do is wait and see if I am actually getting what I bargained for.

I also found a UAQ for $600 today (see picture) and they said the screen was scuffed. The same place had a UAS too but I didn't get a price (I assume less than $600).

976425c222b3ea5c5730c202ea9f1463.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My UAQ from LKQOnline was a few dollars less than @SitKneelBend paid for the UAS. It has a tiny mark on it and once I put a screen protector on I never really saw it. I didn't get the hub though but I have a 2018 and android so my original hub was usable. Patience and vin #'s to check the build sheet and some luck.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My UAQ from LKQOnline was a few dollars less than @SitKneelBend paid for the UAS. It has a tiny mark on it and once I put a screen protector on I never really saw it. I didn't get the hub though but I have a 2018 and android so my original hub was usable. Patience and vin #'s to check the build sheet and some luck.
Yeah, I hadn't been following this as closely as I used to but I have always tried to push people to search the salvage yards online. I believe the scarcity (at lower prices) mentioned by @Mpgrimm2 is due to resellers finding them first and marking them up on eBay.

The cheapest UAQ I found was $500 but I didn't have the funds so I let another forum member know about it. I believe it worked out well for them if memory serves me.

I think the best deals can be had at the small operations yards. All I did was ask about the hub and the guy just pulled it and said he'd throw it in free of charge. He shipped it quick too, tracking shows it should be here today!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part of me thinks the smaller yards (and sometimes even LKQ) dont really know what they have.

A few have really low prices, the descriptions are basic, but if you check the VIN you can see exactly what it is. Sometimes they are just listed wrong (for better or worse).

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@chrisbh17 is absolutely correct about them not knowing what they have. LKQONLINE had mine listed as non-nav but it listed the donor vin. I looked up the build sheet on the FCA site and saw that it really was a UAQ with nav.
@Mpgrimm2 supplied me with everything I needed harness wise and @DeereGuy supplied the bypass harness and EOH harness for the OH console and the ability to turn everything on with Alfaobd. BTW I love my @Mpgrimm2 single zone ATC bezel, well worth the $ for a rcsb.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
EXCELLENT. Did you have a Sirius xm subscription left on it. Sure looks good in there!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Honestly I'm not sure. It looks like it's still settling into my truck. It has dual climate on screen but I'm a single. In addition, there is no SXM button (that I see). It appears to have been out of a wrecked rental vehicle (lots of paired phones with names too diverse to be family).

Any tips for a newbie? I've done two power cycles.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Takes a while for the Sirius button to light up sometimes. I would defer to others with a UAS as to where to look for the sirius subscription screen , single zone change with alfaobd and compass heading, etc. If I remember correctly you can go into the apps page and move what you want to the home screen. I'm not by my truck right now and have a UAQ so I don't want to give bad information.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Honestly I'm not sure. It looks like it's still settling into my truck. It has dual climate on screen but I'm a single. In addition, there is no SXM button (that I see). It appears to have been out of a wrecked rental vehicle (lots of paired phones with names too diverse to be family).

Any tips for a newbie? I've done two power cycles.

The UAx radios won't be done reading the BCM config/resetting until the sxm button shows up and the backup camera works.

M² Mods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The UAx radios won't be done reading the BCM config/resetting until the sxm button shows up and the backup camera works.

M² Mods.
Well stick a fork in it! Next step, USB harness from Deereguy and jumpseat tray replacement courtesy of Benny w/ AllMoparParts.com .

I'll be using your tutorial (I'm glad you figured it out)!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just noticed I no longer have a compass reading with the UAS installed (it just reads "--")...anyone know if there is a setting I need to change to get the heading back in my 7" premium cluster with a UAS installed?

mdowning

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman Powerwagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I finally completed my upgrade....
  • 2018 UAS updated to 22.6 by @Mpgrimm2.
  • 2018 USB media hub 68328704Ax
  • Temp sensor for ATC conversion 55111178Ax
  • HVAC module 68366553Ax
  • Single zone 8.4" bezel 1UJ96DX9Ax
  • 7 speed blower resistor from M2 Mods.
  • Wiring harness from M2 Mods (for 4>7 speed conversion and ATC temp sensor)
My truck is a 2018 Tradesman 2500 with the Power Wagon option. Basically a base model truck with the Power Wagon chassis. I really disliked the 5" radio and have been looking at the UAx upgrade for quite some time. I made the mistake of buying a Delphi radio from a 2019 1500 thinking that I was going to receive a UAS. I still have that one if anyone wants it ;).

@Mpgrimm2 was extremely helpful with getting the right parts and instructions to make this conversion. There were a couple of gotchas in my case... Be sure to read Mike's instructions carefully. I tend to glance over these things and missed one or two points.

1. For ATC, set Dual zone ATC, power off and then set Single zone ATC (using AlfaOBD). I forgot about this... I did remember reading it in the "how to add ATC" thread.
  2. In order to get Car Play to work, I needed to go into Settings > Phone/Bluetooth > Smartphone Device Mirroring, then select my phone, then select Enable Car Play. Last, select connect to phone. I also found it under Apps and Projection Manager.
  3. The media hub was a PITA the swap out. I didn't want to disassemble the jump seat, so I worked in the small space to release three of the four tabs holding my original hub in place. Then I was able to pull the hub out far enough to get the last one to release. It can be done with patience.
  4. Don't forget to change the BCM to set the USB/USB/AUX hub.
I'm impatient, and tried to start the upgrade without having all the parts. I
suggest you collect all the parts for this upgrade before you start. It makes it
much easier.

IMG_1948.jpg IMG_1947.jpg

mdowning

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman Powerwagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Oh, and one other thing.... Doesn't anyone know which setting in AlfaOBD allows me to turn on the backup camera button in the UAS? I have driven other vehicles with UAQ radios and have seen the backup camera button and been able to turn on the camera while driving.

--md

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For the RAM Dual hub xxxxx704AC...

Ecu Config 3:
-> External Port Type : Aux + USB+ extra USB
a626f3bbde5ba603998167ffda634695.jpg

M² Mods.
Thanks! I got the harness today and plugged it in. It appears to work although I haven't made the Alfa change for the connection. Is it necessary? Is there some ill effect I'll experience if I don't change that setting?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Try to play USB music/connect Android Auto or CarPlay through both ports... Only one will work for data until the change I believe

M² Mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum