I hate my radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I posted about this before - Had a "Star case" that they closed because a "software update" was going to fix it. That was almost 6 months ago.
2024 Ram Limited with the Alpine system. When listening to Sirius XM, the sound quality is that of a transistor radio - no exaggeration. Almost no sound from any speakers except the center dash speaker.
If I use a streaming service and my phone, all the speakers are in play... the quality is "better", but still doesn't sound quite right.

Before we get into a big discussion about the various audio sources, etc. That is NOT the problem. This issue is WAY beyond that. People that don't typically listen to music comment on how bad it sounds.

I've had my truck for almost a year... I have 9700 miles on it now. This issue has been open for nearly that long. How can I light a fire under @RamCares to get this resolved?

I hate my truck because of this dam radio.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you had the dealer look at it? under warranty so they may just swap it out for you and see if that resolves the issue. what has the dealer said if you have taken it to the dealer. I have friends with limited and same audio system and none of them have issues.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I posted about this before - Had a "Star case" that they closed because a "software update" was going to fix it. That was almost 6 months ago.
2024 Ram Limited with the Alpine system. When listening to Sirius XM, the sound quality is that of a transistor radio - no exaggeration. Almost no sound from any speakers except the center dash speaker.
If I use a streaming service and my phone, all the speakers are in play... the quality is "better", but still doesn't sound quite right.

Before we get into a big discussion about the various audio sources, etc. That is NOT the problem. This issue is WAY beyond that. People that don't typically listen to music comment on how bad it sounds.

I've had my truck for almost a year... I have 9700 miles on it now. This issue has been open for nearly that long. How can I light a fire under @RamCares to get this resolved?

Hi @MD Sledhead,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send us a private message with more details, so we can look into this further for you.

Gia
Ram Cares

OP
OP
MD Sledhead

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Have you had the dealer look at it? under warranty so they may just swap it out for you and see if that resolves the issue. what has the dealer said if you have taken it to the dealer. I have friends with limited and same audio system and none of them have issues.
Do they have the 2024? I ask because the 2022 and 2023 Limited (with Alpine) sound good.

Yes. It's been to the dealer at least 3 or 4 times. I had a "Star" case opened that was then closed. First they tried to tell me it was operating as designed, then they told me a software update would be pushed out. That was 4 months ago.

Getting pretty sick of the run-around with a $75,000 truck.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do they have the 2024? I ask because the 2022 and 2023 Limited (with Alpine) sound good.

Yes. It's been to the dealer at least 3 or 4 times. I had a "Star" case opened that was then closed. First they tried to tell me it was operating as designed, then they told me a software update would be pushed out. That was 4 months ago.

Getting pretty sick of the run-around with a $75,000 truck.
Sounds like the same hamster wheel we were on with the wife's '21 Pacifica Limited we bought new. They finally replaced the head unit, but not without jumping through lots of hoops over many months. It did fix the problems though.

OP
OP
MD Sledhead

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Sounds like the same hamster wheel we were on with the wife's '21 Pacifica Limited we bought new. They finally replaced the head unit, but not without jumping through lots of hoops over many months. It did fix the problems though.
Was the problem similar? Or was it completely different?

Dealer said he'd make me a good deal on a 24 Laramie he has on the lot :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Like I'm going to drop down in trim level - lose the saddle leather seats (heated/cooled front and rear), active LED projector headlights and digital instrument panel, etc.

I don't buy a new vehicle very often, but this has been the absolute worst experience I've ever had - and it's by far the most money I've ever spent.

And @RamCares has not responded.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@MD Sledhead

I would put up with a chumpy radio to have a Limited, hee hee.

NE way, just keep to yer drums, eventually get sorted out. IF all the rest of the truck good, I would not condemn it. Just stay on the radio issue and drive it and enjoy it.
Just my inane sense of humor. :angels25::33::Big Laugh::birgits_tiredcoffee

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Dealer said he'd make me a good deal on a 24 Laramie he has on the lot :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Like I'm going to drop down in trim level - lose the saddle leather seats (heated/cooled front and rear), active LED projector headlights and digital instrument panel, etc.

I don't buy a new vehicle very often, but this has been the absolute worst experience I've ever had - and it's by far the most money I've ever spent.

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. We have responded to your private message. We look forward hearing back from you.

Gia
Ram Cares

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's just poor service after the sale. RAM and their associated brands have a horrible track record with their head units. They don't seem to give a damn about supporting the thousands of people that have had all kinds of audio/control issues from these units. You shouldn't have to beg them to honor the warranty or to make it right, at any price point. That being said, I'd be extra pissed at a $75k price point.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

If the only issue is your radio, don't downgrade your truck just to potentially have radio issues with its replacement.

Unfortunately, the UConnect systems have been a plague in all modern MOPAR vehicles since they hit the market in 2005, I believe.

I don't disagree that having a $75K new truck with a faulty audio system is a real PITA. However, there is a work around, but it will cost just a little bit of money and time, but worth it overall in the end, especially if you enjoy your music when out on the roads.

Replace the head unit with a quality aftermarket one (Kenwood/JVC/Sony) and with the iDatalink Maestro module it's a seamless interface into our CanBus equipped trucks.

I put a nice Kenwood head unit into my new Warlock that also came with the Alpine system within days of purchasing it off the lot. I now have even more functionality with the head unit, and that includes full function of my steering wheel controls as well.

Check out Crutchfield for a complete turnkey package.
You can go as budget or elaborate as you choose. Maybe even a speaker upgrade, too.
I did it with mine and the sound quality now is phenomenal.

I know it's likely not what you wanted to have to deal with on your new truck.
But the positive is that you get it out of the way now and then truly enjoy your ownership experience.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would keep at it to get the new head unit. Then if you want to upgrade (as mentioned above, Crutchfield is a great option) you can maybe sell your replacement unit to recoup some of the money to buy aftermarket.
Out of curiosity I went to Crutchfields website and put in my trucks info and it came back with nothing for my trucks 12 inch system as a replacement.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unfortunately, the UConnect systems have been a plague in all modern MOPAR vehicles since they hit the market in 2005, I believe.
I think that was true for a lot of years. But honestly, they seem to have finally fixed the bugs in uConnect 5 systems. These forums used to be very active with folks reporting all manner of bugs with the systems. But with the latest system updates over the last couple of years, the forums have grown very quiet. Sure, you still get some unlucky folks like the OP that have issues, but nothing at all like the volume of complaints there used to be.

To the OP, stick to your guns. I know they make it tough with the Star case wait times, no loaner, etc. But it's a very good system when the bugs are gone.

Van_TX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '22 Limited with the 12" screen and Harmon/Kardon sound system. It is still not working right, after numerous software updates. Every trip more than about an hour the CarPlay connection freaks out, and I usually have to reboot my phone to make it work again. Couple this with the two recalls related to rear view cameras failing to display, and it is clear to me that either uConnect5 or the 12" screen or both are bad designs. Someone should get fired.

Duskybay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L

….and I just hate my radio because you can’t shut the damn thing off!

Fritzter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I would like to hear what the solution is for the radio, while listening to Sirius, cutting out near cell towers. That is very annoying and so far no solution.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum