I need help! 5.7L engine tick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G3434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm seeking advice for 2012 1500 hemi 5.7, my check engine light came on and tested for misfire #3. I took it to the dealer who said they performed a tune up for $800 and that it was still missing but not enough for the light to come back on. The light is not coming on but there is a ticking lifter sound when started for a few minutes and a loss of power when towing a boat. Doing some research it sounds like I could have camshaft and lifter failure, but i'm curious why engine light is not coming on. just seeking advice on next steps to take, Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dealer ripped you off man, I'd have a serious talk. Simply swap plugs with another cylinder, fairly easy to do. How many miles on truck and what oil do you use?

Jeepstr723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2009 Ram 1500, 5.7 Big Horn 4x4 with 165k had to have the motor swapped out with a used (102k motor @ 2100.00 last June 2019. It had the hemi tick prior to the ittermittent cylinder 5 misfire which happened in March 2019. Regular oil changed with synthetic 5w-20 @ 7k usually.
Between March & June, 2 different repair shops looked at it, all recommended an engine swap. They wanted me to put in an ATK or Jasper. Not rich, found the used one on line @ Harry Wright in NC.

The 2 shops diagnosed it to be a lifter or a flat cam, it also had a broken manifold bolt. 150 psi on all cylinders except #5.

Found that a friend had a master mechanic that swapped out the engines, fixed the manifold. Replaced the water pump, oil pan and other parts for 1k labor. My truck is running great, sounding great. Now just have to deal with the Dodge rust issues.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It makes no sense that you pay 40k to 50k or more for a vehicle and have to add specialized products to prevent that product from self destruction. On top of that they provide a fix or solution to the problem that should have prevented it from occurring to begin with. Don’t get wrong, I really like my ram, it drives, rides and looks great, but these problems are known to engineers. So damn, why not fix it. As a plus, this site doesn’t get the proverbial “I want to by a Ram but”.

I could not agree more with this. We should be able to follow what the manual says to use for oil, and run trouble free, other than a few mis-haps here and there. Searching for specific types of lube to compensate for engineering flaws is and indication that FCA has an issue to address.

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
The 5.7 has a problem, but not all 5.7’s. If you examine the problem and compare to the one that doesn’t have that defect, you would think, damn, this is the cause. Damn good thing these guys aren’t working for NASA.