If there's a dumber center console setup than the Gen 5...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After 3 Rams, I agree the console needs improvement. Seems like a caveman designed it..... like someone who likes caves... dark and deep.

So to make it more like my Gen 4, I layed in place a simple piece of scrap 3/4" walnut with mitered edges. Works like a charm. Simple to move. Suggest you make a cardboard template first.

Ram designers could have done so much better!

Attachments

• 20231212_172206.jpg
    20231212_172206.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231212_172235.jpg
    20231212_172235.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 19

Gmack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
...I'd like to see it. What team of idiots engineered this? Is there an aftermarket setup available? My search came up dry.

Cheers

Bob
Can you post a photo of your console and what is annoying? I'm not sure which Gen, I have but it's a 2016, I like it. Especially my plug on the dash which is great.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Same thoughts on the Titan. I test drove one before I got my Ram and did not like the infotainment setup at all. Seemed boring and like it was an afterthought. Still waiting on an anchorsaweigh to tell us what he doesn’t about Rams setup.
I was the same way with both the Titan and the Tundra when I tested those before I bought my Rebel in late '18.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
C'mon guys, fight nice. We're just discussing the center console here. s not like we're arguing about anything critical like what causes the hemi tick or why do hemi lifters/cams faiIt'l. It's okay to have differing opinions about it.
"It's not like we're arguing about anything critical like what causes the hemi tick or why do hemi lifters/cams fail"

Um, okay. . . OIL FILTERS/OIL WEIGHT . . . and go . . .

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Can you post a photo of your console and what is annoying? I'm not sure which Gen, I have but it's a 2016, I like it. Especially my plug on the dash which is great.
You have a 4th gen. Totally different design than what 5th gens have.

GWillings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, the sliding tray for one. The entire forward under-storage is useless if you have to remove stuff from the tray to slide it back for access. If you need to keep the separator flat between the forward and aft part of the under-storage then stuff that you put in the forward end can slide all the way (or half-way) to the rear and you have to dig for it because the area directly under the middle part is nearly inaccessible.

@Randy Grant : A little presumptuous on your part.

1. When looking for any vehicle (and this is my 7th RAM) you may not know you dislike something until you use it.
2. Not many people I know check the operability of a center storage console before a purchase. It's a center console facrissake, it shouldn't be too complicated.
3. I merely stated that I don't like the design and that it could have been better engineered. NOT that it should put someone off from purchasing the truck altogether.
4. Troll? Is your definition of a troll someone who simply states a dislike or is critical of something? Wow, that's a pretty damn broad paintbrush you have.

Cheers

Bob
Why are you overloading the try in the first place????? It is not meant to hold much outside of your key fob, some keys, a knife, things like that. There is a reason I do not put my EDC there, as the tray wont go back. Common sense will be your friend on that.
The center console is perfectly fine as is, as long as you use common sense.
Anything and everything could be better with better engineering.
Yes at this point, even I think you are trolling.

GWillings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Perfect place to store chit U may not need for 6 years, lmao.

Added: Think console ok but there are times I do wonder wat person designed. Seems to me on a lot of stuff these brilliant engineer types design stuff but Neva consider the maintenance/repair issues and access to stuff ref working on.
The console fits an in vehicle safe to hold your EDC while in at work and what not. Imagine that.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like the console at all. I think it is bulky and ugly as sin. I much prefer the bench seat with the fold down console. It's more than enough storage for me and I can fold it up for those extremely rare times I need a sixth seat. But mostly I just think the large consoles are butt ugly. I live in MA and went to OH to buy my used RAM back in 2019 because it's so hard to find RAMs without the massive console (plus this truck had other hard to find options I really liked - Black Forest Green exterior color, for one).

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not my favorite design, but plenty of storage. My only real complaint is if I want something from the large area below the arm rest compartment, I have to tilt the arm rest back and everything falls into a disorganized mess. So I just try to not tilt it back. I do like the large area under the sliding cup holder. I'll put food containers in there that I don't want sliding around and spilling on the floor.

I'm a huge fan of the dual cell phone holder that's part of the console. I've spent good money on cell phone holders for other vehicles. I was glad to have a perfect holder as part of the OEM console.

One thought I've had is it could be a decent place to put a custom sub woofer enclosure. 1998 - 06 Jeeps have a small sub (6.7") in there and it's much smaller. You could easily fit an 8" in the Ram lower area, but you'd have to cut some holes in the side. I know most put the sub under the rear seat, but I'm still deciding if I want to lose some of that storage area.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, the sliding tray for one. The entire forward under-storage is useless if you have to remove stuff from the tray to slide it back for access. If you need to keep the separator flat between the forward and aft part of the under-storage then stuff that you put in the forward end can slide all the way (or half-way) to the rear and you have to dig for it because the area directly under the middle part is nearly inaccessible.

@Randy Grant : A little presumptuous on your part.

1. When looking for any vehicle (and this is my 7th RAM) you may not know you dislike something until you use it.
2. Not many people I know check the operability of a center storage console before a purchase. It's a center console facrissake, it shouldn't be too complicated.
3. I merely stated that I don't like the design and that it could have been better engineered. NOT that it should put someone off from purchasing the truck altogether.
4. Troll? Is your definition of a troll someone who simply states a dislike or is critical of something? Wow, that's a pretty damn broad paintbrush you have.

Cheers

Bob
I see you are Military ... Thank you for your service ... But isn't something they teach in the Military is how to Adapt and Improvise ??

SCMason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
After 3 Rams, I agree the console needs improvement. Seems like a caveman designed it..... like someone who likes caves... dark and deep.

So to make it more like my Gen 4, I layed in place a simple piece of scrap 3/4" walnut with mitered edges. Works like a charm. Simple to move. Suggest you make a cardboard template first.

Ram designers could have done so much better!
Is the back part of console like a cooler??

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Because I don't like the center console on the 2023 I searched for (long and hard) the bench seat with a brown interior. What has not been mentioned either is that the console is a knee knocker for us taller persons. Especially on long drives. And yes...with the seat all the way back. I'm also not happy with the go pedal position. I have to **** my foot to the right which hits the hump. And your heel, over time, feels like it's on fire. On my 2004 there is much more room for your right foot. So I'm above average height but not a whole lot. IF, there was any test driving done by engineers we might have a better cockpit. But I'm pretty sure it's all done on a computer. And short people. :favorites68:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Because I don't like the center console on the 2023 I searched for (long and hard) the bench seat with a brown interior. What has not been mentioned either is that the console is a knee knocker for us taller persons. Especially on long drives. And yes...with the seat all the way back. I'm also not happy with the go pedal position. I have to **** my foot to the right which hits the hump. And your heel, over time, feels like it's on fire. On my 2004 there is much more room for your right foot. So I'm above average height but not a whole lot. IF, there was any test driving done by engineers we might have a better cockpit. But I'm pretty sure it's all done on a computer. And short people. :favorites68:
Did you not have the opportunity to test drive the truck you bought? Most of what you're complaining about should have been obvious on a test drive.

Just to be clear, it's not the design engineer's fault. Blame the bean counters who limit what the engineers can design into a truck. Just ask any engineer and they'll tell you that given enough time they can design the perfect thing.
:waytogo:

Calicajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I drive a 2023 Ram 3500 Limited and found the center counsel a storage problem at first but after reorganize my stuff it's working out just find. Only took me nine months to get it figured out. :)

howie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 gas
I am quite happy with the design. It allows an opportunity to store a lot of 'stuff' when properly organized and is very effective. WHen I get too sloppy it reminds me by not being able to get to various items and it is a signal to get rid of some of the expired crap I have shoved into it. The only better one is my Pacifica, that has a great place to store scrunched up empties

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Then chances are, said person would be better served driving a minivan
Haha...wow. I'll probably regret asking, but what could possibly be your reasoning for that? Or are you of the mindset that anyone who disagrees with you is just wrong, and you feel the need to provoke others?

It's obvious that you think negatively of minivans. While I have no desire to own or drive one, I have plenty of friends and family who prefer them. And I can say that if I had lots of kids I'd probably own one as well. Since I don't we'll just be keeping both of the trucks we own, each of which has a large center console.