If you belt sand manifolds, the dust can bond to the clearcoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A quick warning. I belt sanded my exhaust manifolds in the shop, near the truck. This took quite some time and created a cast iron dust condition in the air. That dust settled on my truck, which sat there for several days before I completed the job. Then I backed it out of the shop late at night, and it was another week before I washed the truck, but the dust had bonded to the clearcoat and windows. It felt like a fine grit sandpaper to the touch, but not immediately visible to the eye. I've read lots of posts where guys used the belt sander, but nobody mentioned the problem I had. I put the truck into a detail shop and they were able to get all the embedded dust out of the clear, and I went with a 5yr ceramic coating and detail. Looks better than new now, but at a considerable cost of a little over $1,100.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
For those not able to get it detailed by pros, I'd do an automotive acid body wash to help remove the initial fall-out contamination, and then I would do a thorough clay bar of the entire vehicle, too.

Then wash it thoroughly afterwards with a great soap product, and then seal it up afterwards with either a top notch wax or ceramic coating.

Great PSA on this as well!

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I sander my manifolds, I ended up with the dust on my driver's side, closest to the garage door. I used a spray iron remover that I use to get brake dust off. It turns purple with the iron reaction, and mist of that side of my truck was running purple. It was then I realized I hadn't worn a mask while belt sanding.
PLEASE PEOPLE, use the proper PPE when doing this.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys wash your trucks. lol.. .. :gayfight: :cool: :Big Laugh: :anitoof:

Yeah , I weld besides my truck... I have weld splatter even on the back glass... hahahahahah

You now that could of been avoided with Headers :birgits_tiredcoffee
California truck. No headers. No catch cans. No fun. But also no rust, oh, let's not forget $7 a gallon....

OP
OP
F

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually went and bought the iron remover treatment, but not knowing exactly what I was dealing with was freaking me out. This is the nicest truck I've ever owned, and I purchased it nearly new as my "retirement" truck. Being 65 yrs old, it hurts my old shoulders just washing and drying the truck on a good day. I really hated spending the money, but hey, I saved a bundle doing the manifolds myself. That helped me justify it.

0x00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the sparks stuck to the glass, they were hot enough to melt into it when they landed. That's why welding helmets get plastic cover slips or weld/grind sparks ruin the glass. And safety glasses need to be plastic.....If you can't get the glass clean I don't have any suggestions. For the clear coat, it may buff out.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you see sparks, that is heat and it will melt into paint.
Angle grinders are really bad for that, you can tell real quick it you are standing in front of them, hot spots on your pants.
I use to have a large belt sander that worked great for this , you need a slower speed for iron then for wood.
Knew of a combine that burnt up from a angle grinder and not watching stuff.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thought that was a Carolina thing:D
NC outlawed the "Carolina Squat" last year. They did it because so many rocket scientist never consider adjusting headlights to comply with vehicle headlight aiming laws (they illuminate transformers on the light poles instead).