Indiana State Police Durango 5.7 engine problems....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Saw on our local new the same thing. They so far 18% of the new Durango's are belly up already. They are saying it requires the engine to be replaced?

OP
OP
Yardbird

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saw on our local new the same thing. They so far 18% of the new Durango's are belly up already. They are saying it requires the engine to be replaced?
I don't know what the fix is. One video I saw, the police say Dodge is not doing much to help them, and they are thinking about switching brands.

It looks to be there is no real fix as of yet, just a band-aid.

There are several videos and articles about this. Some have detailed information in them.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The news footage showed the coolant overflow tank full of engine oil mixed with coolant? Like a brown frappe . So somehow the engine is ingesting coolant.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have seen oil cooler failure mentioned. If it is an oil/water cooler that would make sense, and coolant is he!! on bearings, so engine replacement would enter the equation.

Doesn't make it any less embarrassing, but it may be a supplier issue with the cooler?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pursuit 5.7 with a special oil cooler.
I wonder how much different that special oil cooler is compared to the ones found on the 8spd Hemi Ram trucks.
Wonder if they changed to a plate type heat exchanger found on the both of the Ram V6 engines (EcoD and 3.6L). Have read about a few of those going bad but nothing like what these pursuit engines are having.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I wonder how wide spread this issue is with other agencies? Did ISP get a batch with bad parts or is this a design issue?

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I wonder how wide spread this issue is with other agencies? Did ISP get a batch with bad parts or is this a design issue?
Hard to tell, but there are a number of local PD's that have been using the Durango Interceptor for some time. Not necessarily the same as the ISP spec. Obviously the local units don't get the mileage or the high speed runs.

I asked a couple of guys on the force and they said the Dept is about evenly split on how they like the 5.7 Durango vs the older 3.0 Explorer. It appears that many like the acceleration of the Explorer, while others like the handling of the Durango.

For in town work I'll take handling over acceleration 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. If someone is pulling away from you - use the radio.

No mention of issues with reliability or the oil cooler.