Input/suggestions on upgrade from RA1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarmerJoe16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there are a ton of threads already about upgrades and I've given myself a headache reading through so many trying to decipher the more advanced systems now from the simple wiring harness,dash kit and done kinda thing. I was hoping to get the 8.4 when I bought my truck but I just couldn't pass on the price for what I got.

I want to get rid of the basic ra1 crap and am torn between is it going to be easier and cheaper to go aftermarket or just upgrade to an ra3 or ra4 system?

The biggest thing I want is Bluetooth but a backup camera would be nice for hooking up to trailers and stuff down the road and the screen would just keep things simplified and all in one place especially if I can connect to my phone for maps and stuff.

TIA for any input I appreciate the help

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ra2 5” is a straight drop in. 8.4 requires some wiring and a new dash bezel

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
If memory serves....an RA2 essentially drops in without changing bezels.... but in order to have Bluetooth you’ll need to add headliner mics and the appropriate wiring harness up the left side A-pillar...then program with AlfaOBD for the mics.

DIY: 2017-19/20 classic Overhead Mic and Compass harness install
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...p?posts/2346228/&share_type=t&link_source=app

I did this last year (RA1/RA2 swapout); documented elsewhere on the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FarmerJoe16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help guys,I appreciate the help.

I messaged mpgrimm about the price and to ship the harness but I dont see the need for the compass honestly so that can just stay not working.

I'm going to get in touch with a few junkyards Monday to see what they will charge for the radio and if possible the mics and harness for them.

If I can get it all locally and not have to worry about stuff getting caught at the border and waiting forever to get it with how slow the mail is now with covid id much prefer it that way.

PopDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am attempting the same, upgrading from Ra1 to Ra2 and have a question about what kind of microphone is needed. Elsewhere there is a post that says the microphone must be amplified, and refers to an aftermarket mic that they used and say worked well. Is that actually necessary? There are complaints by some that have done the Ra1 to Ra2 switch that say people cannot hear them well. Is a non amplified mic the reason for this complaint? I know the mirror w/mic is the standard answer for this switch but are there other, just as viable possibilities as well?
I would appreciate any guidance and expertise offered as I am just a novice trying to get handsfree bluetooth in my, new to me, 2014 Ram 1500 ST. Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuarb87