Integrated Trailer Brake Controller - seeing wide price range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sifted through a lot of the posts and then googled the part number 82215040AC which appears to be a replacement for 82215040AB.
On Amazon, I'm seeing prices range from like $60 all the way up to $300. In some cases, the cheaper ones seem to be a non-oem like from YTC. I'm assuming it's probably better to go with the OEM version??

I have a 2017 1500 w/5.7.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OEM 250%. Will require a flash to integrate and get all OEM functions. Pricier but just better all around IMHO.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Check with Local Dealer, Or Online Dealer before purchasing from Amazon.
There is vendor on this site, who gives good prices.

Besides shipping if you are prime, prices are usually much higher. Amazon has to get their 30%.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
bought mine off ebay...was OEM, dealer flashed it for me, never had a problem with it. At that time it was only $135...i believe they're like $165 now (?)

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
I bought a non-OEM brake controller and was disappointed that the truck doesn't sense that the trailer is connected, even though all systems are working including the trailer brakes! Time to find an OEM module at the junk yard since the price anywhere I find OEM is $350 and up.

OP
OP
R

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bought mine off ebay...was OEM, dealer flashed it for me, never had a problem with it. At that time it was only $135...i believe they're like $165 now (?)
I found one on ebay for $280 that was sold by nismopar.com. It was supposed to be delivered today, but thanks to hurricane Debby, it's delayed a day.

I also caved and bought alphaOBD and played around in yesterday. I can see how you could get yourself in trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Etrailer does not carry the Mopar Brake Controller

They do carry other top brands.

I use their site for education & price comparisons

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you looking for the part with the trailer slider switch or the module under the dash?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have watched several videos on the OEM Integrated Brake Controller.

This video is one of the best.
The Mounting Bracket is the most difficult part.
Some people just screw in the 2 easiest screws & use a shorter zip tie on the last hole

If your Dash Bezel has a 115vac plug, there will be a 3rd screw securing it

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found one on ebay for $280 that was sold by nismopar.com. It was supposed to be delivered today, but thanks to hurricane Debby, it's delayed a day.

I also caved and bought alphaOBD and played around in yesterday. I can see how you could get yourself in trouble if you don't know what you're doing.
Hopefully, you made a backup of the configuration prior to making any changes.

AlfaOBD is a fantastic / powerful program, but can have very bad results if not used carefully / correctly.

OP
OP
R

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully, you made a backup of the configuration prior to making any changes.

AlfaOBD is a fantastic / powerful program, but can have very bad results if not used carefully / correctly.
I was just monitoring engine parameters and scrolling through all the things you can do.

How do you make a backup?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use the windows version and, from what I've heard, is easier. Go to Your model ; Function: Body Computer, run active diagnostic, on top drop down menu, scroll to bottom and click on ".backup vehicle configuration file"

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
I bought a non-OEM brake controller and was disappointed that the truck doesn't sense that the trailer is connected, even though all systems are working including the trailer brakes! Time to find an OEM module at the junk yard since the price anywhere I find OEM is $350 and up.
Follow up after I contacted the seller to report that the brake controller was not working, they offered to refund me or replace it with a new one, I chose the new unit and it didn't work either. After I contacted the seller again they refused refund and return of their product Ebay was no help because they said that it was 30 days after the purchase even though the seller sent out another unit that should have restarted the 30 day clock loss $80. I finally decided to buy one from the junk yard OEM and it worked the minute I plugged it in for $125 , lesson don't buy made in China knock offs.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Follow up after I contacted the seller to report that the brake controller was not working, they offered to refund me or replace it with a new one, I chose the new unit and it didn't work either. After I contacted the seller again they refused refund and return of their product Ebay was no help because they said that it was 30 days after the purchase even though the seller sent out another unit that should have restarted the 30 day clock loss $80. I finally decided to buy one from the junk yard OEM and it worked the minute I plugged it in for $125 , lesson don't buy made in China knock offs.
Yeah you gotta be careful with the aftermarket knock-offs. There are also a year or two that need a specific part number that isn't interchangeable with other years, I forget what year(s) it is but I think your truck is right around that timeframe.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When doing mine, I needed the module that works for '16/'17, I believe it was.

One for an '18 I tried was a no-go.

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
The part was for 2013-2016, I believe that 17-18 needs a bypass for the system. I bought a used 2013 Rebel controller that was plug and play with my 16. I'd be $80 richer if I would have stopped and thought about a donor part first.