is changing oil in manual transmission a bad thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the few things I’ve learned from my mechanic father and my vette mechanic is how changing your oil properly definitely separates you from the herd that goes along with manufacturers recommendations rather then what will prolong the life of your vehicle.I don’t do exactly what my vette engine builder says unless it’s one he built . I’m on the second(1k)for my caddy and according to his schedule it would be the third.Because of the lift being level I have to Jack it up to drain View attachment 549301
U running an RP in yer Caddy? The things U pick up in this forum, LOL. :angels25::Big Laugh:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Over 60 + yrs of old cars and trucks, a few newer ones, some got change after a few years, some maybe never, Only one was a problem, fork lever wore out in a Datsun, still shifted, just had to hunt a bit , think the oldest was a 1939 4 speed, may have been changed?
last one was a 1980 , not enough miles to matter before traded. Never had any transmission go out. I did change the oil in my 13 sp. road range , because it was hi mileage when I bought it.
did have to change a reverse band in a 727 torkflite one time.
Tractors and combines, changed when the book said to, never a problem.

I have hear it said ( maybe Scotty K.?) say on a hi mile Honda cv transmission not to change it if you don't know the history. I know nothing about the CV ones. I did buy a older one with 300K for granddaughter and that one went out, got a used one for it.
We have a 2008CRV but low mileage yet and we bought new. 80KM now.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over 60 + yrs of old cars and trucks, a few newer ones, some got change after a few years, some maybe never, Only one was a problem, fork lever wore out in a Datsun, still shifted, just had to hunt a bit , think the oldest was a 1939 4 speed, may have been changed?
last one was a 1980 , not enough miles to matter before traded. Never had any transmission go out. I did change the oil in my 13 sp. road range , because it was hi mileage when I bought it.

I have hear it said ( maybe Scotty K.?) say on a hi mile Honda cv transmission not to change it if you don't know the history. I know nothing about the CV ones. I did buy a older one with 300K for granddaughter and that one went out, got a used one for it.
Other than his high pitched ranting, SK doesn't show any bonafide reason that his superstition combined with an obvious lack of experience is an accurate assessment.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Similar experience growing up on a dairy farm Had every type of trans imaginable and a 49 and 50 Chevy pickup and a lot of hand cranking tractors as well.I liked 3 on the column.

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I changed the trans and diff oil in my '05 to full synthetic at 100K miles, trucks got 185K on it now, so will change again soon. No issues, 6 speed shifted better with the synthetic anyhow.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
9Talked with a buddy of mine who has a Ford but with similar build, he said he changed the oil in his standard and it failed shortly thereafter.

Probably used the wrong fluid. GL5 will eat the yellow metal used in the syncros of a manual tranny. Make sure you use the recommend lube and you will be fine.

Mike70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve always figured if you changed filter and fluid then it quit working,that it was going to break no matter.
You may find that it has been maintained and looks fine.
To me he meant that generally speaking, changing the oil and filter (if it has one) in anything and it fails a few days later, it was not caused by the oil/filter change. It would have failed anyway.