Is Dodge trying too hard to impress us with the new Charger EV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Are you telling me that what Vince Vaugh and Kevin James were doing in The Dilemma is now real?!
And that we may see real Queen Latifah ladywood?!

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
In the early EV days there was concern about blind pedestrians not being able to hear an EV approaching. Not sure if that is still a concern.
The dang Tesla's sound like a space ship backing up.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
NHTSA has been pushing for some sort of warning tone at low speeds for awhile now, not just due to the blind but also just generally distracted people and obstructed views. I don't recall the numbers or source any longer, but EVs were disproportionately overrepresented in parking lot auto/pedestrian crashes by a significant margin.
It could also have something to do with that instant power. If you have ever had to drive a Tesla they are not fun to move in small spaces.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It could also have something to do with that instant power. If you have ever had to drive a Tesla they are not fun to move in small spaces.

Never even sat in one. If I ever did want an EV for some reason, I'd probably go with Ford. At least they tend to look like a normal vehicle and I expect the dealer network is much more robust in the Midwest. If I lived on either coast, maybe I'd think otherwise. That said, I can't see the reason I'd want one at this point.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Never even sat in one. If I ever did want an EV for some reason, I'd probably go with Ford. At least they tend to look like a normal vehicle and I expect the dealer network is much more robust in the Midwest. If I lived on either coast, maybe I'd think otherwise. That said, I can't see the reason I'd want one at this point.
I had to drive a few clients cars to our PPF guy and yeah it is not a fun vehicle to drive. My kids point and laugh at anyone with a Tesla. They get so mad when they give them the thumbs down. I swear people just buy them to be like look at me I have a Tesla.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I had to drive a few clients cars to our PPF guy and yeah it is not a fun vehicle to drive. My kids point and laugh at anyone with a Tesla. They get so mad when they give them the thumbs down. I swear people just buy them to be like look at me I have a Tesla.

Here, there's definitely some look-at-me factor among some percentage of the owners. When I'm in CA, though, they are everywhere. There I think it's no different than driving a Civic and gets about as much attention. I think in the midwest, Atlanta is maybe where I've seen the most? Dunno, certainly not scientific and I don't pass through there all that often any longer.

I've just never been impressed with their build quality. Even if they had an ICE vehicle, I just don't think I'd be interested.

Ranging far afield, but the only potential new vehicle I have *any* interest in at the moment is Ford's rumored Mustang competitor to the 911 Dakar. Their CEO said it wasn't a real thing last year, but supposedly a prototype was shown to a dealership owner's only meeting recently so I'm not sure if it'll ever be real or not. I think it would be a blast, if it's ever a real thing and in my price range I'll have a decision to make.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Here, there's definitely some look-at-me factor among some percentage of the owners. When I'm in CA, though, they are everywhere. There I think it's no different than driving a Civic and gets about as much attention. I think in the midwest, Atlanta is maybe where I've seen the most? Dunno, certainly not scientific and I don't pass through there all that often any longer.

I've just never been impressed with their build quality. Even if they had an ICE vehicle, I just don't think I'd be interested.

Ranging far afield, but the only potential new vehicle I have *any* interest in at the moment is Ford's rumored Mustang competitor to the 911 Dakar. Their CEO said it wasn't a real thing last year, but supposedly a prototype was shown to a dealership owner's only meeting recently so I'm not sure if it'll ever be real or not. I think it would be a blast, if it's ever a real thing and in my price range I'll have a decision to make.
Tesla build quality is crap. Brand new cars and you can be doing a detail on them and stuff start falling off. Ford seems to have done well with the Mach E minus calling it a Mustang. I have a client who bought one new and drives it back and forth to his Colorado home from Texas. He loves it. Ford does tend to build some good vehicles. I was a Ford guy for years. Left when they started having the issues with the cam phasers. Bought my Ram, but now I am back in a Ford Flex to haul people around in. It runs and drives great.