Is it the tires, the shop or me…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

This might be a little long, but I want to see if others had the same experience.

I bought new tires for my 2022 RAM 4x4 bighorn quad cab. It’s the first time I actually researched and decided on a specific tire and not just go with shop’s recommendation. I went with the Toyo Proxes ST III, 275/55-20. They seemed to have good reviews for the RAM and are pretty reasonably priced. I don’t do heavy off roading, just sand on the beach in Daytona.

Now for the issue(s). I was at 48K miles, my OEM tires were pretty much gone on the back, but the fronts were at around 50% or better. So, in my infinite wisdom, I only put on 2 new back tires and asked if the shop if they could turn the front ones around so the black wall was on the inside. I know now, reversing the tires after 48K miles is a big mistake. Anyway, the shop said sure, we can do that. The next time I was on the highway the truck was shaking all over the place. I took to another shop (same company) and they said no, you can’t do that, and the other shop should have known better, and those front tires are way out of balance, and they won’t hold a balance. But they balanced them the best they could.

So, after that I go back to first place and get 2 more matching new tires. I think all is good. Wrong! I get back out on the highway and it’s shaking again at about 60+ mph. So, I take it to the second shop again, and they check the tires. Out of balance and one of the directional tires is actually on backwards. The second shop shakes their head, fixes everything, and said just don’t go back to the other place. BTW, the reason for the 2 shops is that I'm going between Orlando and Daytona, and I don’t get on the highway until I’m on my way and it’s too late to turnaround.

So, the second shop rebalances the tires and I think all is good. But, it still seems to shake at about 75+. I take it to yet a third shop (same company) and tell them the whole story. And they find one back tire out of balance by 1 once. They fix that, but I still think I feel the shaking, although slightly less, at 75+ mph.

So here is my question(s), does anyone else have these Toyo tires? If so, how do they feel? I like the ride, at slower speeds, and they are quieter on the highway. I also like the rain handling. I was not sliding at all in pooled water at highway speeds. Anyway, I’m thinking maybe because they are so much quieter that I feel the shaking more because of less noise. Kind of like, it’s all in my head.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Pretty reasonably priced"...There's your sign.
Not sure about the price of the tire having to do with being put on backwards. I do understand getting what you pay for, but they were not the cheapest, and high price does not always equate to high quality. I do know people that feel good about paying a lot of money for things, I'm not one of those people.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Find a Discount Tire, or any shop that uses the Hunter road force balance machine and have them properly balanced. Then, I suggest not using either of those two tire stores again.

I used to have 35" mud tires on my first 2500 and my local shop swore that it was impossible to balance a mud tire. I went to Discount and they balanced them the first try. Been using them ever since. You get what you pay for in terms of service as well as tire brand.

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find a Discount Tire, or any shop that uses the Hunter road force balance machine and have them properly balanced. Then, I suggest not using either of those two tire stores again.

I used to have 35" mud tires on my first 2500 and my local shop swore that it was impossible to balance a mud tire. I went to Discount and they balanced them the first try. Been using them ever since. You get what you pay for in terms of service as well as tire brand.
Good idea. I don't know if this place used that type of balancing. It's chain, Mavis. They seemed to have bought up a bunch of places, so they are convent everywhere I go. But I'll see about Discount. Thanks.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I have run several sets of Toyo tires. No problems and they lasted 60k miles. I have never used Proxes on a truck. I thought those were passenger car tires.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 Hemi
I replace all four tires at the same time, even if two have some useable tread. This way you have four matching tires with the same age, the same tread, and the same construction. Then I rotate front to back every 5k miles for even wear. This seems to keep everything in balance.

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replace all four tires at the same time, even if two have some useable tread. This way you have four matching tires with the same age, the same tread, and the same construction. Then I rotate front to back every 5k miles for even wear. This seems to keep everything in balance.
Yeah... I know. This was the first time I just replaced two tires, instead of all four.

This was really just my cheapness coming out, lol. But when I'm looking at $1,200+ for what used to $700 all day long, I think twice. The sets were bought within a week of each other. First two on a Monday and the next two the next Monday, from the same shop. I would think they came from the same batch from the same warehouse.

Anyway, still looking for feedback from anyone running these specific tires. They're not really bad, and I know it's not a car, so it's not going to ride like one. But I still think it should be a little smoother at 75+ mph, at least I think it used to be smoother with the OEM tires, but louder. I'm thinking I need the road balancing done.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hi all,

This might be a little long, but I want to see if others had the same experience.

I bought new tires for my 2022 RAM 4x4 bighorn quad cab. It’s the first time I actually researched and decided on a specific tire and not just go with shop’s recommendation. I went with the Toyo Proxes ST III, 275/55-20. They seemed to have good reviews for the RAM and are pretty reasonably priced. I don’t do heavy off roading, just sand on the beach in Daytona.

Now for the issue(s). I was at 48K miles, my OEM tires were pretty much gone on the back, but the fronts were at around 50% or better. So, in my infinite wisdom, I only put on 2 new back tires and asked if the shop if they could turn the front ones around so the black wall was on the inside. I know now, reversing the tires after 48K miles is a big mistake. Anyway, the shop said sure, we can do that. The next time I was on the highway the truck was shaking all over the place. I took to another shop (same company) and they said no, you can’t do that, and the other shop should have known better, and those front tires are way out of balance, and they won’t hold a balance. But they balanced them the best they could.

So, after that I go back to first place and get 2 more matching new tires. I think all is good. Wrong! I get back out on the highway and it’s shaking again at about 60+ mph. So, I take it to the second shop again, and they check the tires. Out of balance and one of the directional tires is actually on backwards. The second shop shakes their head, fixes everything, and said just don’t go back to the other place. BTW, the reason for the 2 shops is that I'm going between Orlando and Daytona, and I don’t get on the highway until I’m on my way and it’s too late to turnaround.

So, the second shop rebalances the tires and I think all is good. But, it still seems to shake at about 75+. I take it to yet a third shop (same company) and tell them the whole story. And they find one back tire out of balance by 1 once. They fix that, but I still think I feel the shaking, although slightly less, at 75+ mph.

So here is my question(s), does anyone else have these Toyo tires? If so, how do they feel? I like the ride, at slower speeds, and they are quieter on the highway. I also like the rain handling. I was not sliding at all in pooled water at highway speeds. Anyway, I’m thinking maybe because they are so much quieter that I feel the shaking more because of less noise. Kind of like, it’s all in my head.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Didn't you rotate your tires? How were the front tires 50% or better?

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't you rotate your tires? How were the front tires 50% or better?
I did not rotate them. I should have, but didn't. They were rated for 40K miles, and they had 48K on them, so I was not disappointed.

Crazy about the wear. It's not like I was doing donuts or anything. Just normal FL highway driving. No heavy loads or excessive towing. For some reason, the rear tires wore out way faster than the fronts.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I did not rotate them. I should have, but didn't. They were rated for 40K miles, and they had 48K on them, so I was not disappointed.

Crazy about the wear. It's not like I was doing donuts or anything. Just normal FL highway driving. No heavy loads or excessive towing. For some reason, the rear tires wore out way faster than the fronts.

Florida man strikes again.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the price of the tire having to do with being put on backwards. I do understand getting what you pay for, but they were not the cheapest, and high price does not always equate to high quality. I do know people that feel good about paying a lot of money for things, I'm not one of those people.
I'm one of those people who hates spending lots, but the one place I have never skimped is on tires. Buy the best you can, because it's literally your life on the line.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

My self I would never put Toyo Proxies on any truck I own an I like Toyo tires, as for rear wearing out faster than front, its normal based on every rear wheel drive vehicle I have owned.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a set of Toyos on an SUV but it was years ago. At the time I was really impressed with them and they rode well and lived a good, long life.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

The same reason why electric cars are blowing through tires like crazy, it's the torque from propelling the vehicle forward.
Chances are if you regularly rotated the tires you could have put another 10K-15K miles on the set

zrock

Reaction score
With the tire wear you are describing on the original tires i would go to a good alignment shop and have your alignment checked, should get a alignment anyway with new tires your rear axle may be out slightly causing the wear. If that does not cure the vibration then i would take it back to the tire shop and tell them to fix it and not give up until you get a smooth ride. I have had every thing from mud tires to street tires and their has never been any vibration or balance issues. You may have a tire with a manufacturing defect that they are compensating for with the wheel weights, do you have a tire with excessive weights on it?

Also sounds like you never rotated your tires, you may want to start that at least once a year to prolong the life of your tires.