Is it the tires, the shop or me…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the tire wear you are describing on the original tires i would go to a good alignment shop and have your alignment checked, should get a alignment anyway with new tires your rear axle may be out slightly causing the wear. If that does not cure the vibration then i would take it back to the tire shop and tell them to fix it and not give up until you get a smooth ride. I have had every thing from mud tires to street tires and their has never been any vibration or balance issues. You may have a tire with a manufacturing defect that they are compensating for with the wheel weights, do you have a tire with excessive weights on it?

Also sounds like you never rotated your tires, you may want to start that at least once a year to prolong the life of your tires.
The wear was even all around on the OEM tires. Again, I'm not unhappy with the OEM tires or wear. There was an alignment done and re-checked. So I think that is good. I'm not real unhappy with the Toyos either, I just think there is a little too much vibration going on. The Toyos are quite and have good wet traction, both things that were important to me. As plus, they did real well in deep soft sand last weekend.

I think I'll get them re-balanced and rotated in about a month or so. I'll probably have over 5k miles on them by then. There is a new Discount Tire being built right by me. Assuming they will have the Hunter road balancer, as recommend before, I'll have them use that and see how it goes.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
You have a slipped belt on one or more tires. I run nothing but Michelins on my Rams and have great luck. Toyo is a harder tire and can heat up and have a slipped belt just like a slipped disk in your back. Get it hot and there you go. I agree you see a discount tire or at least get original dealer to give you a different tire. You can buy Michelins, or BFG that are made in a Michelin plant. You have a tire, wheel or a heat issue. Probably on the back as it is at 75mph.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

This might be a little long, but I want to see if others had the same experience.

I bought new tires for my 2022 RAM 4x4 bighorn quad cab. It’s the first time I actually researched and decided on a specific tire and not just go with shop’s recommendation. I went with the Toyo Proxes ST III, 275/55-20. They seemed to have good reviews for the RAM and are pretty reasonably priced. I don’t do heavy off roading, just sand on the beach in Daytona.

Now for the issue(s). I was at 48K miles, my OEM tires were pretty much gone on the back, but the fronts were at around 50% or better. So, in my infinite wisdom, I only put on 2 new back tires and asked if the shop if they could turn the front ones around so the black wall was on the inside. I know now, reversing the tires after 48K miles is a big mistake. Anyway, the shop said sure, we can do that. The next time I was on the highway the truck was shaking all over the place. I took to another shop (same company) and they said no, you can’t do that, and the other shop should have known better, and those front tires are way out of balance, and they won’t hold a balance. But they balanced them the best they could.

So, after that I go back to first place and get 2 more matching new tires. I think all is good. Wrong! I get back out on the highway and it’s shaking again at about 60+ mph. So, I take it to the second shop again, and they check the tires. Out of balance and one of the directional tires is actually on backwards. The second shop shakes their head, fixes everything, and said just don’t go back to the other place. BTW, the reason for the 2 shops is that I'm going between Orlando and Daytona, and I don’t get on the highway until I’m on my way and it’s too late to turnaround.

So, the second shop rebalances the tires and I think all is good. But, it still seems to shake at about 75+. I take it to yet a third shop (same company) and tell them the whole story. And they find one back tire out of balance by 1 once. They fix that, but I still think I feel the shaking, although slightly less, at 75+ mph.

So here is my question(s), does anyone else have these Toyo tires? If so, how do they feel? I like the ride, at slower speeds, and they are quieter on the highway. I also like the rain handling. I was not sliding at all in pooled water at highway speeds. Anyway, I’m thinking maybe because they are so much quieter that I feel the shaking more because of less noise. Kind of like, it’s all in my head.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks
If the tires you kept have a 3/32 or more tread depth difference than the new tires you will most likely damage transmission and / or transfer case. Circumstances should remain within 1/4 of an inch difference.

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the tires you kept have a 3/32 or more tread depth difference than the new tires you will most likely damage transmission and / or transfer case. Circumstances should remain within 1/4 of an inch difference.
I probably should not have included all of the backstory, lol. Long story short, 4 new Toyo tries have some vibration after 3 tries at balancing them. Not too bad, but I think they should be a little smother.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A little harsh, lol. Not rotating the tires is not worst thing to do. Plus, I'm not complaining about the OEM tire ware. Just looking for some insight on these Toyo tires.
If you had rotated them a few time, you likely would have got 20th more miles out of them
I have had cheap tires that where OK, made in China crap, the poorest tires I had where the factory GY they where OK for 1 st year, but 2nd winter they where useless on snow, ice, not that you have that problem down there.
Your first tire shop sounds like its run by wal mart greeters that could not make the cut.
I have had a couple new, good quality tires that would not balance, had to be replaced.
A lot of times , turning a tire on a rim can solve a lot of problems.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hi all,

This might be a little long, but I want to see if others had the same experience.

I bought new tires for my 2022 RAM 4x4 bighorn quad cab. It’s the first time I actually researched and decided on a specific tire and not just go with shop’s recommendation. I went with the Toyo Proxes ST III, 275/55-20. They seemed to have good reviews for the RAM and are pretty reasonably priced. I don’t do heavy off roading, just sand on the beach in Daytona.

Now for the issue(s). I was at 48K miles, my OEM tires were pretty much gone on the back, but the fronts were at around 50% or better. So, in my infinite wisdom, I only put on 2 new back tires and asked if the shop if they could turn the front ones around so the black wall was on the inside. I know now, reversing the tires after 48K miles is a big mistake. Anyway, the shop said sure, we can do that. The next time I was on the highway the truck was shaking all over the place. I took to another shop (same company) and they said no, you can’t do that, and the other shop should have known better, and those front tires are way out of balance, and they won’t hold a balance. But they balanced them the best they could.

So, after that I go back to first place and get 2 more matching new tires. I think all is good. Wrong! I get back out on the highway and it’s shaking again at about 60+ mph. So, I take it to the second shop again, and they check the tires. Out of balance and one of the directional tires is actually on backwards. The second shop shakes their head, fixes everything, and said just don’t go back to the other place. BTW, the reason for the 2 shops is that I'm going between Orlando and Daytona, and I don’t get on the highway until I’m on my way and it’s too late to turnaround.

So, the second shop rebalances the tires and I think all is good. But, it still seems to shake at about 75+. I take it to yet a third shop (same company) and tell them the whole story. And they find one back tire out of balance by 1 once. They fix that, but I still think I feel the shaking, although slightly less, at 75+ mph.

So here is my question(s), does anyone else have these Toyo tires? If so, how do they feel? I like the ride, at slower speeds, and they are quieter on the highway. I also like the rain handling. I was not sliding at all in pooled water at highway speeds. Anyway, I’m thinking maybe because they are so much quieter that I feel the shaking more because of less noise. Kind of like, it’s all in my head.

Any insight is appreciated.

I had your tires about 12 years ago and they were not what I expected, I won't buy them again. Hercules tires is a little known brand and I've had 3 sets and the ware very goof with great grin. They also have free balance and rotation every 6,000, and if you don't get the miles they say you will you get money back on new Hercules tires. That's better than anyone else!

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I had a set of tires on my 2016 2500 (amp tires) that were actually spinning on the rim. I marked the tire at the valve stem, drove around and saw they were slipping on the rim. I would get them balanced and it would continue to happen. After so many miles of this, I finally got rid of them and got Toyos (not proxes).. You should check that.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I agree with Beauregard. I always replace all 4 at the same time. Never put Toyo's on my
truck so don't have any opinion there. I have run Coopers, Bridgestone and Michelin and
have found nothing gives me the mileage I want except the Michelin.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Toyo makes good tires. I have run them on many vehicles and personally know many people that run them. Could be a defective tire, could also be a warped rotor and now that you are looking for vibration you are feeling something that maybe was there before.

Does it shake in the steering wheel?
I would rotate them and see if the issue seems to change a little. That would narrow it down to the tires and not something else.

Stormtrooper1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I had the Nitto sport truck tires on my truck & had a vibration between 50 & 70mph. These tires are very similar to the Proxes. I bought them at Discount & they said the tires balanced easily. I didn't know about road force balancing so I went to a local shop for an alignment with no change. Went back & they did the road force balancing with no real change. Found some reviews stating that these tires were great for suv's & midsize trucks. Found quite a few full size truck reviews with issues like mine. Went back to Discount & paid a small mileage proration fee & had Cooper SRX's put on. Not a single issue at any speed on any road surface. I had Toyo Proxes on my Mustang GT & they didn't last very long.Tire shop replaced them with Michelins & no more issues. Discount Tire manager said that Toyo makes Nitto & the load rating might be too low (he wasn't there when I ordered them). I had decided they were what I wanted & specifically ordered them. He also mentioned a split belt issue as a possible cause.

Last edited:

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I have had 2 out of 4 expensive Michelin LT275/70R18E that could not be balanced - Michelin apparently had a number of similar problems in that vintage (2018) based on their customer feedback site - I was in the process of getting 2 replaced free just before truck was totalled by a tree.

In general Toyo has a good reputation. But clearly any manufacturer can make a bad tire - I would be contacting Toyo about the problem.

But as an aside - I went to multiple shops including the RAM dealer - who referred me to a tire dealer they use. But, along the way, one reputable shop I have used for car tires refused to try saying the RAM 2500 (2015 vintage) aluminum wheels require a unique adapter they did not posses. Apparently there is something unique about the interface which not all tire shops are aware of. But that was not my problem, it was the tires.

As suggested by previous poster, swap front to rear to see if vibration changes. Since the problem initially surfaced after you put 2 tires on, there may be a truck issue (damaged by tire dealer?) or even a damaged wheel (lift truck and spin each wheel by hand - look for any uneven movement.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyo makes good tires. I have run them on many vehicles and personally know many people that run them. Could be a defective tire, could also be a warped rotor and now that you are looking for vibration you are feeling something that maybe was there before.

Does it shake in the steering wheel?
I would rotate them and see if the issue seems to change a little. That would narrow it down to the tires and not something else.
No shake in the steering wheel. I feel the vibration is mostly in the seat. I'm going to have them rebalanced and rotated in a month or so.
As stated before, the vibration is not bad, just more then what I think should be there with new tires. Brakes, rotors and such were all checked... Brakes are only 5% worn and it all looked right.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought new wheels and tires for my 2001 Zo6 Corvette a long time ago. I forget if they were Toyos or Kumho but I had a vibration they couldn't fix. Turned out to be an out of round tire. It got replaced under warranty and the new tire was perfect. I'm sure it happens.

AndyB2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When my first set of tires on my 2018 Ram 2500 wore out, I purchased **** Cepek tires and love them. I live on a farm and needed a good tire that worked in the field as well as on the road. No complaints, rotate every 5k miles and still have good tread left after 30k miles. Nicest thing is they don't have any road whine when on the highway.