Is this normal? 2024 RAM 2500 6.4L lifters replaced at 8k miles!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baldMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey Folks - I'm seeking advice from seasoned RAM owners. I have a 2024 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman w/ the 6.4L gas engine. This is my first RAM truck, bought it brand new in December 2023.
I took it to the dealer at 8k miles due to a slight flutter under normal acceleration, and what sounded like excessive lifter noise around 1,800RPM (just before the shift point). Even though it wasn't throwing a code, the driving feel and engine noise were as bad as my old Ford Expedition with 175k miles...

Dealer called a week later - your truck is ready to pick up..."we changed the lifters". This really, REALLY surprised me. Pulling the heads on a new-ish engine can't be normal!! I asked them WHY the lifters failed, what was the ROOT CAUSE of the premature failure, and what makes them think this won't happen again in another 8k miles? They could not answer...

Since this is the first RAM I've owned, and the first 3/4 ton truck I've owned, I'm not sure what normal is.

Do 6.4L 4x4 RAM 2500 typically have the following behavior?
  • Struggle to find the right gear at lower speed driving (<45mph) and cause the engine to lug due to low RPM?
  • Have increased lifter noise between 1.5k-2.0k RPM range?
  • Have noticeable 'downshifts' when coming to a stop?
  • Need lifters replaced at 8k miles?!

Note - the lifter replacement did not fix any of the issues. Driving behavior is as bad (maybe worse) than before the lifter replacement.

Thanks folks!

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW
Sorry for your troubles, That sucks

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
At least they shotgunned some parts at it...Some of these dealers would have labeled it as NPF and sent you on your way.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not normal at all. My last 2500 (2018) had over 100k miles at trade in and I never had a single issue with it beyone it never passing a gas station it didn't like. My new one ('23) has 22K on it and no issues either.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP U got something going on not right between motor and tranny shifting. Sounds like tranny needs at minimum be reflashed. As they say Someone shot parts cannon at it especially since U say not fixed problem. Find another Dealer to help U as one U went to may not be up to task. Just IMHO.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stiff downshifts coming to a stop are a common complaint on 8 speeds, especially with towing package rear end gear. The 8 speed has a very short first gear and the transmission down shifts while slowing down the truck. If you have ever tried to shift a manual into 1st while moving this is likely the same sensation.

Can't help on the other items but I don't think its normal to have lifters replaced with that few miles. I wouldn't be happy with a new truck torn into with that low miles, but at least they took care of it. Sometimes parts fail, better to have them fail earlier than after your warranty.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ll admit that I’m not as familiar with the Gen III engine architecture as I am for the older Detroit V8s, but I doubt they had to pull the heads to replace lifters. Probably the intake, valve cover and fuel system is all they had to pull. It wouldn’t hurt after a few miles to go back over those fasteners and verify they are still tight and haven’t loosened up from gasket compression. I could be mistaken.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Sure, lifters need to be replaced every 8K miles or every other oil change. Totally normal. ;-) Now let me get back to the service department here at BoBo's CJDR.

Last edited:

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My drivers bank was replaced @10K because couple of the lifters were losing pressure and causing the tapping you have. I have a "downshift" issues as well, there was someone on here stating a update was coming, not sure if it did. Mine is a 22 6.4L.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not normal at all, I have the 5.7 in 1/2 ton ,and don't usally feel any shifts, thou last while I can feel down sifts on a down hill slope, I don worry about it, I also will shift a bit with the buttons.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Folks - I'm seeking advice from seasoned RAM owners. I have a 2024 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman w/ the 6.4L gas engine. This is my first RAM truck, bought it brand new in December 2023.
I took it to the dealer at 8k miles due to a slight flutter under normal acceleration, and what sounded like excessive lifter noise around 1,800RPM (just before the shift point). Even though it wasn't throwing a code, the driving feel and engine noise were as bad as my old Ford Expedition with 175k miles...

Dealer called a week later - your truck is ready to pick up..."we changed the lifters". This really, REALLY surprised me. Pulling the heads on a new-ish engine can't be normal!! I asked them WHY the lifters failed, what was the ROOT CAUSE of the premature failure, and what makes them think this won't happen again in another 8k miles? They could not answer...

Since this is the first RAM I've owned, and the first 3/4 ton truck I've owned, I'm not sure what normal is.

Do 6.4L 4x4 RAM 2500 typically have the following behavior?
  • Struggle to find the right gear at lower speed driving (<45mph) and cause the engine to lug due to low RPM?
  • Have increased lifter noise between 1.5k-2.0k RPM range?
  • Have noticeable 'downshifts' when coming to a stop?
  • Need lifters replaced at 8k miles?!

Note - the lifter replacement did not fix any of the issues. Driving behavior is as bad (maybe worse) than before the lifter replacement.

Thanks folks!
Look at your repair order. Did they scan for codes?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 117211 miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’ll admit that I’m not as familiar with the Gen III engine architecture as I am for the older Detroit V8s, but I doubt they had to pull the heads to replace lifters. Probably the intake, valve cover and fuel system is all they had to pull. It wouldn’t hurt after a few miles to go back over those fasteners and verify they are still tight and haven’t loosened up from gasket compression. I could be mistaken.
Heads have to come off to replace lifters on the Gen 3 Hemi's.They're not like an old small or big block where you could replace lifters by just pulling the intake off

First gen hemi = 50's 354/392 Hemi's etc.

2nd Gen = mid 60's/early 70's 426 Hemi

3rd Gen is the 03 to current Hemi

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with these dealers are that they have one certified master mechanic and a bunch of parts cannon workers who just refer to the symptom and solution listed and change that part instead of doing an actual diagnosing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What transmission? If it is the 6 speed does all your issues go away with tow haul? If you are going to keep the truck a long time, consider a lubrication strategy in my sig there are two. answer those q's I have more answers

one post? maybe he's gone huh.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What transmission? If it is the 6 speed does all your issues go away with tow haul? If you are going to keep the truck a long time, consider a lubrication strategy in my sig there are two. answer those q's I have more answers

one post? maybe he's gone huh.
Seams like you get a lot of one and done posters on her for some reason, even when THEY are the ones looking for help lol