It does it all by itself!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liedoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn crew cab with the 3.6 Pentastar, purchased new last August. A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on my front porch with the key in my pocket, when the truck alarm went off by itself. I shut off the alarm and did not think too much of it, as I know a small fluctuation in the electrical system can cause this. Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I'm working out in the garage, the remote once again in my pocket, when I heard the sound of a vehicle starting up. As my garage is right next to my neighbor's driveway, I ignored the sound of the running engine, thinking it was my neighbor's car. After about ten minutes, I left the garage only to discover it was my Ram that had been running the whole time in my driveway. This is especially weird, as to start the truck via the remote, one would have to push the start button twice in quick succession.

I have not yet bought the truck in to have this looked at. Any ideas?

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Simple troubleshooting should help narrow down to human or electrical error. I would start by moving the fob outside the pocket to a carabiner or keychain to minimize the likelihood of accidental presses and see if it keeps happening.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I learned very quickly that the FOB buttons are far too sensitive to keep the FOB in my pocket while performing any type of work, even raking leaves off the lawn.

Sometimes just bringing in the groceries will trigger something but any bending to pick up gear in the box, or just climbing into the back can be problematic.

The usual experience for me is unexpected Panic alarms but I have also had the occasional remote start. Are you referring to Panic alarms where the horn sounds repeatedly?

I desensitized the panic button on 1 FOB with a modification that seems to have improved these unexpected Panic alarms. It will sometimes still trigger a Panic alarm if I try to unload firewood with it in my pocket but this happens much less after the modification.

A SOP that I often used before the modification is to move the FOB from my pants pocket to a jacket pocket before climbing into the box.

Since the mod, I occasionally forget to relocate the FOB, but it rarely triggers a Panic alarm.

I disassembled the FOB and added an O ring around the Panic button.

FOB.jpg

FOB mod.jpg

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Some other thoughts:

1. Is anything else in your pocket with you? I do know that other electronic devices can interfere with the signal (e.g. cell phone) but they may also help alter signals that might cause your issue. Even my VW fob is very sensitive to interference. Even my ear buds in the same pocket will prevent the proximity entry or randomly unlock the car if I'm near it.

2. Does it do this with either fob? Try changing the fobs out in your pocket to see if it's doing the same thing. That could narrow down the truck (RF hub) or a fob as the problem if there is indeed an issue.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I learned very quickly that the FOB buttons are far too sensitive to keep the FOB in my pocket while performing any type of work, even raking leaves off the lawn.

Sometimes just bringing in the groceries will trigger something but any bending to pick up gear in the box, or just climbing into the back can be problematic.

The usual experience for me is unexpected Panic alarms but I have also had the occasional remote start. Are you referring to Panic alarms where the horn sounds repeatedly?

I desensitized the panic button on 1 FOB with a modification that seems to have improved these unexpected Panic alarms. It will sometimes still trigger a Panic alarm if I try to unload firewood with it in my pocket but this happens much less after the modification.

A SOP that I often used before the modification is to move the FOB from my pants pocket to a jacket pocket before climbing into the box.

Since the mod, I occasionally forget to relocate the FOB, but it rarely triggers a Panic alarm.

View attachment 542534

View attachment 542533

2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn crew cab with the 3.6 Pentastar, purchased new last August. A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on my front porch with the key in my pocket, when the truck alarm went off by itself. I shut off the alarm and did not think too much of it, as I know a small fluctuation in the electrical system can cause this. Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I'm working out in the garage, the remote once again in my pocket, when I heard the sound of a vehicle starting up. As my garage is right next to my neighbor's driveway, I ignored the sound of the running engine, thinking it was my neighbor's car. After about ten minutes, I left the garage only to discover it was my Ram that had been running the whole time in my driveway. This is especially weird, as to start the truck via the remote, one would have to push the start button twice in quick succession.

Sounds like the ole FOB in the pocket. U would be surprised how easy it is to do, usually set off panic alarm, but could do remote. And, FTR, that FOB transmits a long distance, a lot farther than U think. If U got straight line distance, do 50-100 feet easy, just saying.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Mine has a range of closer to 100 yards. A couple times i could barely hear the horn and it was mine going off.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I opted to just get a brass keyring that I hang from my belt loop. Kind of a PITA, but still better than trying to carry a golfball, 4 keys, and a pocketknife in my pocket.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I opted to just get a brass keyring that I hang from my belt loop. Kind of a PITA, but still better than trying to carry a golfball, 4 keys, and a pocketknife in my pocket.

That's a great solution for the cooler months.

During the warmer temperatures, usually April through December for me, 95% of the time I'm wearing cargo shorts.

There's a dedicated FOB pouch on one side and a dedicated magnet pocket for my starter disable magnet on the other side.

Because the fob pouch is a small external velcro'd pouch, it has never caused a false button activation while loading or moving about.

We can spend forever extrapulating theories of the how's and why's or just accept that the buttons are sensitive and can't be carried in an internal pocket while bending and moving around.

The modification I've made to my FOB has cured 95% of the false alarms caused when carried in an internal pocket.

No offense intended to anyone searching for a complex solution but, this one looks pretty straightforward to me, at least for my Ram Smart FOBs. :cool:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
My neighbor had this "issue" with his JeeP. Doors locking, unlocking, alarm going off, and sometimes an occasional engine start up ... and his key fob was in his house ... he couldn't figure out what was going on and was preparing a trip to the dealer ... until I told him that it was me mashing his Jeep's key fob buttons creating all of his "false alarms". He went instantly into the "hate mode".

He entrusted me to hold onto his spare key fob in the case if he were ever to loose the one he carried or "got locked inside the JeeP?"...

Oh, well ... it was funny as long as it lasted.

And I no longer have his spare fob, lol.

My apologies, OP ... I've no solution for your situation.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's a great solution for the cooler months.

During the warmer temperatures, usually April through December for me, 95% of the time I'm wearing cargo shorts.

There's a dedicated FOB pouch on one side and a dedicated magnet pocket for my starter disable magnet on the other side.

Because the fob pouch is a small external velcro'd pouch, it has never caused a false button activation while loading or moving about.

We can spend forever extrapulating theories of the how's and why's or just accept that the buttons are sensitive and can't be carried in an internal pocket while bending and moving around.

The modification I've made to my FOB has cured 95% of the false alarms caused when carried in an internal pocket.

No offense intended to anyone searching for a complex solution but, this one looks pretty straightforward to me, at least for my Ram Smart FOBs. :cool:

I wear shorts from April through November and it still stays on my belt loop. I have more important stuff in my cargo pockets that take up all the room. Extra beer, mouse gun, box of condoms, lucky marble, stuff like that. :emotions34:

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque

View attachment 542534

View attachment 542533

Best post this Month! Props for your tenacity.
200.gif
Mine always "Panics" when I lean on anything with the fob in my pocket.
O-ring kit at home, I will be trying this helpful hint out tonight.
Thanks!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some other thoughts:

1. Is anything else in your pocket with you? I do know that other electronic devices can interfere with the signal (e.g. cell phone) but they may also help alter signals that might cause your issue. Even my VW fob is very sensitive to interference. Even my ear buds in the same pocket will prevent the proximity entry or randomly unlock the car if I'm near it.

2. Does it do this with either fob? Try changing the fobs out in your pocket to see if it's doing the same thing. That could narrow down the truck (RF hub) or a fob as the problem if there is indeed an issue.

Although my own Ram FOB challenges are just related to the sensitivity of the Panic button, I could see that both items above could potentially be related to someone else's FOB difficulties.

Especially having other items in the same pocket with the FOB.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best post this Month! Props for your tenacity.
View attachment 542674
Mine always "Panics" when I lean on anything with the fob in my pocket.
O-ring kit at home, I will be trying this helpful hint out tonight.
Thanks!

You're most welcome.

The specific O-ring I used is quite thick and stands almost as tall as the microswitch.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The RAM and Jeep FOB is a poor design. The convex face makes it way too easy to pocket dial a button. I have a FOB for my car that has a just slightly concave face, it never seems to have the pocket issue.

Both of these styles help with the pocket button pushes.

il_1140xN.2947161112_hw9a.jpg
10-best-FOB-key-covers-for-Honda-CR-V-6.jpg

Last edited:

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've done both of those things as well to my 2015. It happens. Good news is that if it starts via the remote, it should eventually shut off by itself. It's a pain but u kinda need to adjust to it instead of it adjusting to u.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remote start shuts down after 15 minutes. U can remote start twice. If U do it in a row and not start it by button or key it will default out and not remote start a third time.