Key fob, not responding 2017 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dfdub17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help! It’s been about a week now I was driving and my radio went black. I pulled into the gas station to buy something but before I got out of my truck, the radio came back on. It’s like it reset I got out of my truck and as usual, I push the button to lock it, the fob didn’t respond so I went in the gas station. Got what I went for. Try to use my fob to unlock the door. It didn’t work so I use the key on the way home. I was thinking maybe it’s the battery because it’s the original key from 2017 when I bought the truck new , so I got home I had batteries so I put a new battery in it and nothing happened. I also have a brand new key that I got with the truck that I never used. I tried it. It didn’t work so that let me know it wasn’t the battery in the first key , I’ve researched all I can and can’t find anything that would solve this problem. I found something where a guy took his RF module apart and had signs of water damage and a burnt out chip. I took mine apart and seen no obvious signs of water damage RF module is the one with the built in antenna , I’m just at a loss. The truck will start and run and drive but my key fob is not working. I didn’t notice when I had the truck running and disconnected the module. The truck turned off so I’m not sure what the problem is. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

Post your question in the 4th generation section and you will get some help. Good luck.

Red

zrock

Reaction score
have had the same issue on my 15 since i got it, change the battery's in both a new and old fob will maby work for one day and that's is it.. I just learned to live without it as the doors still open without the key..

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To check the FOB battery & to see of the FOB & RF Module are communicating with each other, i press the PANIC button.

Actually, the FOB's outer case, is the cause of a FOB not functioning properly, More often than not.

This is just a quick video, but it gives you a idea of what is going on in most cases

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Another thing, you can buy the outer cases, for less than $10 in most cases.

Another thing, the after market outer cases are OFTEN better than the OEM outer cases.

The after market out cases work with the circuit boards from Chrysler / FCA

Aftermarket outer cases are often called a SHELL

Good Luck

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Help! It’s been about a week now I was driving and my radio went black. I pulled into the gas station to buy something but before I got out of my truck, the radio came back on. It’s like it reset I got out of my truck and as usual, I push the button to lock it, the fob didn’t respond so I went in the gas station. Got what I went for. Try to use my fob to unlock the door. It didn’t work so I use the key on the way home. I was thinking maybe it’s the battery because it’s the original key from 2017 when I bought the truck new , so I got home I had batteries so I put a new battery in it and nothing happened. I also have a brand new key that I got with the truck that I never used. I tried it. It didn’t work so that let me know it wasn’t the battery in the first key , I’ve researched all I can and can’t find anything that would solve this problem. I found something where a guy took his RF module apart and had signs of water damage and a burnt out chip. I took mine apart and seen no obvious signs of water damage RF module is the one with the built in antenna , I’m just at a loss. The truck will start and run and drive but my key fob is not working. I didn’t notice when I had the truck running and disconnected the module. The truck turned off so I’m not sure what the problem is. Any help will be greatly appreciated
WELCOME to the group !
Bummer your having a issue w/the FOBs !

I wonder if there is a fuse for the FOB receiver on the truck ?
Sorry I am no help

PLEASE UPDATE what you find out