Learned Some Interesting Things the Last 2 Weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. The 8 speed does wonders imo for fuel efficiency. Ive got 100k on my ‘16 power wagon, and have never once calculated a tankfull that averaged over 13mpg. And its empty most of the time.

Scotty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 1500 ecodiesel and it is extremely aero sensitive, any wind, especially head wind is tuff on fuel mileage, I can get 28/29 no wind at 75/80 mph , wind mileage varies but down to 25 ish if it’s a head wind at 70 mph, this truck is completely stock, Had 2500 CTD up to this one, sold all my trailers and just use this to travel

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Wild,
I used to volunteer to drive a 1 1/2 yard front loader
long distances, when a transport was no available

I had to tilt the bucket back a bit, so when it started bouncing, the bucket would not dig in & the beefed up lower pivoting points would stop the bouncing enough to apply the brakes, i kept the lowest part of the bucket about 3" above the asphalt roadway.

I think the top speed was something like 18 mpg
I had fun, everyone thought i was crazy.
My longest drive was about 35 miles, took about 5 hours
1714717108761.png

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wild,

I had to tilt the bucket back a bit, so when it started bouncing, the bucket would not dig in & the beefed up lower pivoting points would stop the bouncing enough to apply the brakes, i kept the lowest part of the bucket about 3" above the asphalt roadway.

View attachment 542263
Don't you mean 18 GPM?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Mine does the same, even with a hell of a head wind. Always makes me smile. It is what we used to call Mexican overdrive, shift into neutral and let it freewheel downhill.
Many years ago it was called a "Georgia" over drive with trucks, kick her in neutral and let it ride, slid it back in gear when you needed power.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wild,

View attachment 542263
The wildlife area I worked on was very big - about 25,000 acres - spread over 4 counties. Many times it was easier for me to just drive the JD 310D backhoe from the headquarters a few miles to wherever work needed to be done. Often faster than going through the process of hooking up the gooseneck to the tow vehicle, completing all the safety checks, loading the machine at the compound, driving to the site, off-loading at the site, reloading for the return trip, off-loading at the HQ again.

Couple hour round-trip drive, but still quicker than going through all that.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Many years ago it was called a "Georgia" over drive with trucks, kick her in neutral and let it ride, slid it back in gear when you needed power.
Back when I was a kid they called putting the transmission in natural when going down a steep grade Polish overdrive, but back then they used the none PC name....

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Back when I was a kid they called putting the transmission in natural when going down a steep grade Polish overdrive, but back then they used the none PC name....
I'm part Polish and it's quite OK by me if you use the word "******". This PC thing about the word being derogatory is bull, made up by non-Polish people to make themselves look holier-than-thou.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Yes, i did write that the loader would do 18 MPH ..

When you hit a small bump & started bouncing, you had to come almost to a Stop.
Actually the best thing to do, was to put some soil or rock in the bucket, that way, it did not bounce as much.

With a Back Hoe, we usually carried the wide back hoe bucket in the front bucket & the narrow bucket was locked in place, at the back

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you smoking?!?! Haha. Sorry, but no way in hell do I believe a hemi gets 34 on the highway. This is based on our hemis that my wife and I own. They barely get half that...on a good day!!
That's kilometers, not miles.
And it equates to 14+ mpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild,

View attachment 542263
We used to have land that was 65 miles apart,i made alot of long drives in a tractor cab,at roughly 20 mph it gave you lots of time to look at what the neighbours were up to,lol