LEDs not recommended for low beams??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked again at how I installed the LEDs into the fogs. They sit either 2 and 8 or 4 and 10. They won’t go 3 and 9. One better than the other? Hopefully they don’t cause any issues with others. I guess I’ll see tonight.

I don’t seem to be having any software issues with the fogs. Does this just happen with highs/lows?
The best I can remember, one side is 2/8, and the other is 4/10. My fogs wouldn't go 3/9 either. The headlights lined up just fine.

I checked my headlights on the garage door after dark, Halogen and the new LEDs. Perfect cutoff and no scatter. Cutoff and scatter as sharp as the factory lights.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The phillips site says these can be used in my fogs so I threw them in their. Hopefully they help.
They'll work but more like driving lights than fogs. The factory fog housing don't have a very good cut off, couple that with LED bulbs that are about 3 times brighter than the original halogen bulb.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They'll work but more like driving lights than fogs. The factory fog housing don't have a very good cut off, couple that with LED bulbs that are about 3 times brighter than the original halogen bulb.
Is that poor cutoff with the style of fog lights on his 2014?

The cutoff on my '21 is quite impressive. I never get flashed by oncoming traffic on a level roadway.

Mine are factory LED and together with the upgraded LED in the low beams, I get great visibility of the shoulders and ditches to the treeline.

I would never trade these driving lights for fog lights, I plan to add external colored fog lights in the future.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I've got both LED bulbs and HID bulbs in my Rams. 14 & 16 have HIDs. The 24 Classic has LEDs. The HIDs are, IMHO, better in the projector housing than the LEDs. The light output seem to be more focused.

The Farhen LEDs I put in the 24 projector housings took alot of time getting them clocked correctly. They have good light output, but I still like the HIDs better. Not saying I'm going to change the LEDs anytime soon. Perhaps they will grow on me.

My opinion.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got both LED bulbs and HID bulbs in my Rams. 14 & 16 have HIDs. The 24 Classic has LEDs. The HIDs are, IMHO, better in the projector housing than the LEDs. The light output seem to be more focused.

The Farhen LEDs I put in the 24 projector housings took alot of time getting them clocked correctly. They have good light output, but I still like the HIDs better. Not saying I'm going to change the LEDs anytime soon. Perhaps they will grow on me.

My opinion.

What is the cost of installing HID lighting?

I have several HID & LED dive lights. The HID are far superior in the rivers but LEDs are better in the gin clear water of freshwater caves.

The above likely has no relevance to the use in headlights. :cool:

I paid between $35 & $45 for a pair of Fahren LED bulbs with a 3 year replacement warranty.

They are remarkably brighter than the halogen bulbs.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What is the cost of installing HID lighting?

I have several HID & LED dive lights. The HID are far superior in the rivers but LEDs are better in the gin clear water of freshwater caves.

The above likely has no relevance to the use in headlights. :cool:

I paid between $35 & $45 for a pair of Fahren LED bulbs with a 3 year replacement warranty.

They are remarkably brighter than the halogen bulbs.

Our 300 and the wifes old 1320 both have factory HID's,and i love them. I have LEDS in all the fogs,with the truck and 300 both having the foglight drop-out disabled,didn't have the proper cable to do the drop out on the 1320. With the led fogs and hids on high beams in the 300,it has the best lights i've ever had

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
HIDs are ~$150 a pair. Vs the LEds at ~$40. Like @Wild one I have HIDs in the low beams, LEDs in the fogs and the dropout disabled so they can be on at the same time as the high beams. It's instant daylight. Given the amount of wildlife in MT. I need all the light I can get.

PS, I hit a fawn in my 24 classic within the first 3k miles. No damage, but I don't think it would have happened if I'd had HIDs installed. The fogs are factory LEDs. Just out drove the light.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is that poor cutoff with the style of fog lights on his 2014?

The cutoff on my '21 is quite impressive. I never get flashed by oncoming traffic on a level roadway.
Your Warlock uses a different d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ housing than the fogs found in the vertical housings of the DS body trucks. The Warlock/Rebel fog was also designed as an LED so the beam is more focused to reduce stray lighting.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your Warlock uses a different different housing than the fogs found in the vertical housings of the DS body trucks. The Warlock/Rebel fog was also designed as an LED so the beam is more focused to reduce stray lighting.

I get it, IIRC, my fog lights are round and recessed into the front of the bumper, below a wee overhang.

Does different² = very different? :cool:

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Your Warlock uses a different different housing than the fogs found in the vertical housings of the DS body trucks. The Warlock/Rebel fog was also designed as an LED so the beam is more focused to reduce stray lighting.
The fogs on the 1320 and 300 are fairly recessed and i'm not sure if that helps on light scatter with leds in them.

Attachments

• IMG_4482 (2).JPG
    IMG_4482 (2).JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4537 (3).JPG
    IMG_4537 (3).JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 9

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL, I just came back to change my embedded to recessed. :cool:

I believe my fogs are similar to the pictures you posted and there's also a piece of the bumper that overhangs just above the foglight.

I'll look for a picture tomorrow.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hi
I I walked into my local auto parts store to upgrade my wife’s 2014 ram 1500 for better lighting. The sales person didn’t recommend LEDs for low beam because he said they don’t work well with snow and fog. The light just bounces back as if you have your high beams on. He recommends just OEM for low beams. I live in Alberta so having good vision in fog and especially snow is important. What’s your experience?
Thanks for the help.
I'm not going to agree with many of the posts in this thread. I think the salesperson gave you some excellent advice. Before anyone pulls out their sword and comes after me, google "kelvin temperature versus fog snow rain", and read the various results so you understand how the color temperature of light affects the various driving situations.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm calling BS on that "salesman's" opinion. Seems to me that most auto manufacturers have switched to LED headlights for low and high beams. It's more about the optics on the LED array and how they're aimed. Light will be reflected off of fog and snow, regardless of the source.

I swapped my OEM halogens to LED in my truck years ago, no regrets. All my other vehicles are equipped with factory LED headlights, all good.
Same here, only bulbs I didn't change was my highbeams which I rarely use especially since my lows are brighter. My fogs have integrated LEDs and are bright as hell too. No issues in fog and snow here in Pa.

Last edited:

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_1586.jpeg65886977234__8A745F6D-B721-4A07-8DFB-E5A38C134CD2.jpegI drive in a rural farm setting and they are amazing. I did point them down more then the old lights and installed heavier springs on account of them becoming a hazard when the weak springs would cause them to blind drivers.

OP
OP
G

Garth Schindel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drove almost 3 hours last night with the leds in the fogs. Much brighter - worth it. No complaints from other drivers. Brightest spot was way out past the driver’s side. I’ll have to play with their positioning.

No software trouble. Does this happen only in lows/highs?