Lifters- help diagnosing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DustyGooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. Seems like this is a very common discussion on the forum. I am looking for help diagnosing some issues I’m having with my 2014 1500 5.7 Hemi. It’s got 154,000km (approx 94700miles).

I recently put headers on to fix the exhaust manifold issue, had some bolts sheared and that got all squared away. The shop who did the work which I trust, warned me that they think they are hearing some lifter problems as even at optimal temp he thinks he can hear a bit of ticking.

This has been a thought of mine also, as when the truck is trying to initiate all cylinders when accelerating out of ECO, there is a sound like a lifter possibly having troubles engaging properly. You can feel the vibration in the gas peddle sometimes and can hear it trying to kick in with some extra engine noise.

I have a code reader, and it doesn’t throw any codes regarding misfires or anything like that. I have a P1009 code but there’s no lights on the dash.

I drove a new 2023 classic while my truck was getting the header work done as I needed a vehicle for work, and the MDS activated flawlessly.

I’m fairly inexperienced with powertrain mechanics though I’ve been trying to do a lot of research. This is my first vehicle with any kind of MDS but I feel like this is not normal.

I’m just looking for some more experienced RAM enthusiasts to give some helpful advice with more knowledge than me, and with less bias than a shop looking to get more work. Even though I trust this particular shops work, I know they’re in the business of making money as well.

https://youtube.com/shorts/g9uysTJm25k?si=y8ibOJXvW3rlhzGS

I’m including this video of my truck idling in the engine compartment to see if that might help those with a well trained ear.

Thank you in advance.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to say with this vid possible Pulley noise tho try to get a vid of it when its at operating temp on both sides on the inner front fender wells regardless its way quieter then my 2014.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ticking is the injectors, the tapping is lifters. Still sounds kinda quiet… could be but hard to tell. I second making a recording from the fender well as the injector ticking won’t be quite so pronounced.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The ticking is the injectors, the tapping is lifters. Still sounds kinda quiet… could be but hard to tell. I second making a recording from the fender well as the injector ticking won’t be quite so pronounced.
yup concur, that aint even close to hemi tick.

Look up a lubrication strategy in my signature and read from other ram forum members, those will protect that cam thanks to the proper additives to do so. See oil filter thread as well for good high flow oil filters. Get a used oil analysis and see how the engine is wearing, report it in blackstone thread. si-1 clean those injectors, ucl if you want to make them quiet.

Good luck, I hear nothing that worries me here, Burla.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine