Light grinding sound when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My '17 RAM 1500 is making a grinding sound when turning (L and R). It is not a belt squeal or a high pitched metal on metal, it is more of a quiet sounding worn brake rotor sound (if you know what I mean). Just loud enough to notice it.

No performance issues or anything like that. I just thought it sounded strange for a 2 year old truck.

No sounds when I am on the straight and narrow, only when I turn. anyone else have this problem?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does it get any louder with a faster turn than a slower turn? Do you notice that the truck is being pulled into ruts in the road or any other steering issues? I know you said no performance issues. I’m thinking a cv joint or wheel bearing maybe? Although a cv joint usually has a clunking feeling/noise also. Check your cv boots for tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My be u joints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GT_Ram

GT_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does it get any louder with a faster turn than a slower turn?
>> never thought to notice that...I will see next time I take a faster turn

Do you notice that the truck is being pulled into ruts in the road or any other steering issues?
>> have not felt any noticeable pull

I know you said no performance issues. I’m thinking a cv joint or wheel bearing maybe? Although a cv joint usually has a clunking feeling/noise also.
>> don't think it is a wheel bearing -- I had that on an a previous truck and the sound is different. Wheel bearing was a deeper rumbling sound this is higher pitched (but not metal on metal sounding)

Check your cv boots for tears.
>> will do... could be that... this truck is in the field quite a bit

How many miles on it?
>> only 35000 miles on it

Thanks all for replying -- appreciate it

OP
OP
GT_Ram

GT_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I checked the boots and they all looked fine. No tears or leaks.

The sound is the same at low speed and higher speed turns

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Jack up the truck and spin the wheel. If you can hear it from the cab wheel bearing seems the most likely however if you have exceptional hearing it could just be your brakes, which do make a bit of a grinding noise normally.

OP
OP
GT_Ram

GT_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ok thanks all -- I don't believe it is the wheel bearing because in my past experience when the wheel bearings are going you hear the noise all the time (not when turning). I obviously could be wrong, but I'm just going off what happened with my last truck. It sounded like a B-24 bomber.

Not sure it is the brakes because I hear the noise when I am not on the brakes when turning too.

Maybe I am going nucking futz and starting to hear noises that aren't there :confused:

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hang in there. I have the same issue. Had new ball joints, etc installed. No noise. Have brake installed, then a dull noise started when turning but not on the straight away. Does not sound like a bearing. No grinding sound.

I read that if the brake pads are seated correctly, a growling sound will start. Never heard of that issue. The solution was to reseat the pads and drive the vehicle and make several hard stops. Sound goofy but the writer said it stopped the growling sound.

I do not really know but when I get back from my trip, I will try to reseat the brake pads and see if the growling sound goes away....far away.

TRich1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@El Guapo Phil , did you figure out what was the problem. I just started hear the same noise yesterday. It’s only when I turn the wheel slightly to the right. Like going around a curve in the road or lane change.