Little help with starting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brypoint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK so I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with 70k miles on it. A few months ago I had what I thought was a dead battery (which is weird because I put in a auto zone gold battery a year before). Turns out it was the battery cable wasn't tight enough, so I tightened it and it fired up no problem.

I don't drive the truck that often and I had a dead battery problem again since then, so I threw a charger on it and it was fine again. Now the other night after watching a movie I come out and bam dead battery again. Luckily there was a tow truck guy just sitting there at the movie theater and he had a jump box. We got it started but driving it home it was acting like it was dying, like if i step on it too hard it would sputter and then look like it was about to die and it would ding and go again. It was really weird but I got it home.

I went and charged it up again today but it just makes a click sound like at the starter and then the dash dies out like a dead battery would do but my charger has a green/red light to let you know the status which was full. Also after it fails to start I can hear one of the relays in the fuse panel clicking a bunch of times then the dash lights up like it found power again like after a minute or so.

My question is where do you guys think this is the starter solenoid maybe a bad ground? But why would it try to die once it's running. A bad alternator? Which would be a likely culprit if it's not charging the battery but why would that stop it starting on a full charge?

Sorry for the long post it's just I'm trying not to buy and replace parts till I find the problem. Lemme know what you guys think I should do next.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also check all connections and make sure they are clean and tight.” Anything battery/Starter/Alternator.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Sounds like a possible bad battery. I would have it checked. Also you may have a draw on the system from something. As said above... I would have the alternator checked too.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Yes, it is likely either the battery or alternator. I suggested to take the battery and have it checked as it's the easiest first step. Most auto parts stores can also check the charging system on the car as well, you just need to be able to drive the vehicle there.

A defective battery can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems. It is basically power and ground for the electrical system so a problem there can be seen pretty much anywhere.

When the tow truck gave you a jump, was there any hesitation on the starter? A dragging starter can kill a battery, but that doesn't explain the issues you had driving home afterward. You may actually have a compound issue where one problem has manifested others.

Start with the battery, then check the charging system and then I would pay attention to how the starter sounds. If it sounds like it is cranking slowly on a charged battery, your starter is probably next to go.

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery and alternator would be first to check. Also cables tight at battery and solenoid needs to be checked and tightened. In extreme cases, maybe a bad cable also....... But w/o being there, just throwing info at you......

OP
OP
B

Brypoint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK thanks alot guys I'll try to get it to autozone and have them test the battery and alternator. Great advise appreciate you guys.

OP
OP
B

Brypoint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update I put a multi meter on the battery. With the key off it reads 12.4v When I turn the key on it makes that click sound and the dash goes blank. Now the meter reads 5.4v and the fuse block gives off a buzzing sounds like its going to blow up (or something I dunno) after like a minute of this it seems to fix itself and the dash comes back on and the battery reads 12.4v again. But if I go to start it it starts this all over again. Any Ideas?

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Update I put a multi meter on the battery. With the key off it reads 12.4v When I turn the key on it makes that click sound and the dash goes blank. Now the meter reads 5.4v and the fuse block gives off a buzzing sounds like its going to blow up (or something I dunno) after like a minute of this it seems to fix itself and the dash comes back on and the battery reads 12.4v again. But if I go to start it it starts this all over again. Any Ideas?
Sounds like a bad battery to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When the truck has set all night go out and put you hand on the alternator. If it’s warm it has a bad diode causing a draw which means replace the alt.

OP
OP
B

Brypoint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yah I think your rightwhy is that relay doing all that noise though.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

Everything is freaking out when you are trying to start because that battery has a dead cell.

You are basically killing the battery when you try to start, all of the electronics stop getting the 12v they need to function and essentially freak out.

Get it over to Auto zone or any of your favorite auto parts stores and have them do a cold crank amp test on the battery. It should be putting out close to what the sticker on the battery says, likely 800 cca or so. Once you get a new battery and you've got your truck running check for voltage. You should have 13.8-14.6 volts. If you don't you've got an alternator problem too.

OP
OP
B

Brypoint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything is freaking out when you are trying to start because that battery has a dead cell.

You are basically killing the battery when you try to start, all of the electronics stop getting the 12v they need to function and essentially freak out.

Get it over to Auto zone or any of your favorite auto parts stores and have them do a cold crank amp test on the battery. It should be putting out close to what the sticker on the battery says, likely 800 cca or so. Once you get a new battery and you've got your truck running check for voltage. You should have 13.8-14.6 volts. If you don't you've got an alternator problem too.

OK cool i will try and get over there tomorrow them sumobitchs owe me a new battery since I bought the best one they had not 2 years ago.