Locked in low range(didn't select) and other issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Night Edition.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 1500 5.7 4wd Laramie. 28,000 miles. No prior issues.

Started truck and "serv 4wd", "anti skid", "check engine" and "Brake" lights came on, but everything seemed to be ok. Drove a couple miles and shut it down, waited a couple minutes and restarted. No change in warnings but Parking brake was on and had hard time getting it to release and truck was in 4wd low range. Drove to Dealership and dropped it off.

Any ideas whats going on ?

OP
OP
Racer57

Racer57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer said the transfer case had a electric motor internally that shorted out. Will be 3 weeks before can get part. Covered under warranty.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Electric shift motor is outside the t-case, remove it and manualy shift it to 2wd hi, and drive truck.

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Svc 4WD light is a scary light to get in my experience. I recently bought a 2009 Laramie crew cab. It acted up a few times from the get-go then ABS and ESP lights came on. Garage I bought it from replaced a front wheel bearing and 3 wheel sensors. Lights went off. Then the dreaded SVC 4WD came on but it was driving fine in 2WD. I checked codes using a blue driver. Loss of signal with front axle actuator. Ok, not a big deal I think. Take the truck in to the dealer a few days later to have the gas tank supports fixed under recall (no, previous owner did not get it done, tank half fell out and I held it up with ratchet straps). Since it was there on the hoist I asked them to check why the SVC 4WD was on. they showed me what looked like a very small crack in the transfer case (NV246) and what looked like a piece of gear tooth lying on the cross bar. They found the same trouble code and said it was either a wiring short or a short in the 4WD control module. They advised not driving it, quoted me on a used T-case replacement, and they did not have the gas tank parts. I had it towed back to where I bought it. They pulled the T-case. It had a hole blown out the top the size of a grapefruit! So, they put in a used T-case, a new front axle actuator, a different used Control module and problem fixed. Back to the dealer, gas tank fixed, had them change fluids in both differentials, not taking chances now. So far so good but this guy did the right thing having his truck examined asap after that SvC4WD came on. You do not want to ignore that one!

OP
OP
Racer57

Racer57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took truck in on March 4th and got it back today March 24th. O ring in shift motor was damaged during installation (factory) and allowed moisture to get inside and short it out. Under warranty.