Locking fuel door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I have read AMI Styling makes locking fuel doors for RAM but don't know what years/models it covers.

The only thing I know that's locking and available is a diesel fuel filler cap from Geno's Garage:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Thanks. They don't seem to list anything for a 2023. Maybe I should just call them now and talk to the human instead of a computer!
If you're wanting a locking cap for a '23 HD the link @brian42 provided covers that truck. Maybe they updated the description since you've looked at the website...
1719343966883.png

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Just curious, is people stealing fuel a big issue out West?
People don't usually siphon it out when it's much easier to just poke a hole in the plastic tank and catch it in a container from below. It's probably to keep anyone from putting anything into the tank. The capless designs freak some people out.

I know I didn't like the idea when I bought my first vehicle with no gas cap (2015 1500 Ecodiesel). But I was more worried about dirt and moisture getting into the fuel tank. So I just bought a slip-on cap from Amazon back then. Now I'm less concerned about that as capless designs have more or less proven themselves.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Down here in the corner of the country fuel prices fluctuate from a "low" of about $5/gal to upwards of $6+/gal so the motivation is definitely there when you're talking $75-$100 to fill your sedan or $150-$200 to fill your HD diesel.

As mikeru said, most tanks are some kind of plastic/poly-whatever now so it only takes a few minutes to stab a tank and get away with $100 in fuel.

Siphoning takes more effort as there's a second flap down in the filler neck that helps prevent that (hence the weird narrow funnel with your jack tools so you can add fuel from a gas can).

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. Out here on the right side of the country, I rarely hear about it, though I'm sure it happens.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
People don't usually siphon it out when it's much easier to just poke a hole in the plastic tank and catch it in a container from below. It's probably to keep anyone from putting anything into the tank. The capless designs freak some people out.

I know I didn't like the idea when I bought my first vehicle with no gas cap (2015 1500 Ecodiesel). But I was more worried about dirt and moisture getting into the fuel tank. So I just bought a slip-on cap from Amazon back then. Now I'm less concerned about that as capless designs have more or less proven themselves.
I'm not a fan of the capless design. Just an open pipe with nothing to stop debris from entering. I don't do a lot of off-road dusty driving. but I imagine that could eventually cause a problem. I did open the fuel door once last year and before I could stick the nozzle in a leaf drifted down and landed across the pipe opening. Luckily, I was able to grab it before it entered, but had it done so I think I may have had a problem. The thought has been bugging me ever since. I'd like to get at least a regular twist on cap if I could find one, just so I can leave it on until I'm ready to fill.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Gas up here is $6-$7/gallon, I'm not going to help a potential thief.
I've used a locking gas cap since the 80s, old habits die hard.

I ever so rarely park in risky locations but there are a few off-the-beaten-path places I park for diving or other activities.

Plus, in today's world, anything could happen in a city location. Kids have been known to toss in foreign materials and substances into a tank.

Not that I park for long anywhere near a big city, too often.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I'm not a fan of the capless design. Just an open pipe with nothing to stop debris from entering. I don't do a lot of off-road dusty driving. but I imagine that could eventually cause a problem. I did open the fuel door once last year and before I could stick the nozzle in a leaf drifted down and landed across the pipe opening. Luckily, I was able to grab it before it entered, but had it done so I think I may have had a problem. The thought has been bugging me ever since. I'd like to get at least a regular twist on cap if I could find one, just so I can leave it on until I'm ready to fill.

I'd definitely rather have a gas cap. My one year old Audi still uses a gas cap. Adding fuel is such a simple thing. Why they insist on complicating even the simplest things is beyond my pay grade I guess.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd definitely rather have a gas cap. My one year old Audi still uses a gas cap. Adding fuel is such a simple thing. Why they insist on complicating even the simplest things is beyond my pay grade I guess.
Got any idea where to get one that will fit? The only thing MOPAR offers is a locking one.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try these guys, I have one for my 2019 5th gen, don't think it fits the 2500 6.4, give them a holler.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Geno's carries good products !!

I live in an apartment building, with several other 4 plexes nearby.
10 or 20 children live in them.
Most of them are in grade school, they are not mischievous, they are just playing in sand & there is a door & a funnel on the side of these vehicles.
Bicycle handle bar marks everywhere on my paint job, again they are just playing.

I for one, don't want to have harmful stuff in & around my vehicles
AMI Styling
1719442237942.png

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I do like a cap. My VW has one (not locking) and I like knowing that it is sealed from potential debris.

There weren't any gas caps back in 2019 so I used a rubber 4" end cap like this:

I discarded the hose clamp and the cap fit perfectly over the opening to prevent debris when I off-roaded. I did have to shave a slight bit off the top edge (beveling it without cutting all the way through) so that the fuel door would fully close.

By the time Geno's Garage came out with their cap I always had something higher on the list to buy so never got one.