Looking for a "plug-in" trickle charger for RAM 3500 Diesel Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Config

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Turbo Diesel
Greetings!

I'm looking for is some pointers to find some kind of product that I can install in my 2021 3500 Limited (Cummings Turbo Diesel) to keep my batteries topped off when I'm not using the truck. I'd like something that I can use an extension cord to plug into via my home's 120v outlet to keep a trickle charge going. This is a recreational vehicle that I use for occasional big house projects (moving lumber/dirt/gravel/etc), occasionally towing RVs or trailers loaded with yard waste, traveling with our e-bikes, picking up large furniture, and so on. So it's not a work truck nor anywhere close to a daily driver (I have a hybrid car for the daily stuff).

Since it's a Limited loaded with all the bells and whistles, all those electronics EAT up the batteries like there's no tomorrow! I have had the dealership check my batteries several times and they say they are "good"... However, I find that even when I take it on local errands at least a couple times a month, it still eventually will not start because there isn't enough juice to heat the plugs + start the engine, especially in colder weather. I'm getting really frustrated because when I need it, it won't start and I have to pull out the big boy charger and wait 8+ hours before I can even begin to try and fire it up again. If I drive it a few times a week, this isn't an issue, but I don't "need" to drive it that much and this beast is EXPENSIVE to feed for just running errands and grabbing some groceries!

I have read through the forums and seen folks that put cut off switches and such, but since my truck has so many sensitive electronics, that's a no-go for me. Plus I want to keep the alarm armed whenever it's not in use since it's too big to fit into my garage.

Any suggestions from all you long time owners out there that have conquered this same issue?

Thanks in advance!
-cfg

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My apology to the OP.

The noco charger I have listed below is good for single-battery vehicles but too small for maintaining two batteries. And, as I have recently learned, the standard for charging dual-battery Ram trucks is using only one charger.

My experience with charging AGM dual battery underwater vehicles is very different from trucks. :cool:

You will require one for each battery in a dual-battery setup.

Many of us use one of these because it's temperature controlled to not over or undercharge due to temperature fluctuations.

It's designed to be mounted in the engine bay and be externally powered with household 120 VAC.

Some users install a bulkhead power receptacle into the bumper or grill. I keep an extension available from the tow hook opening and just plug into another extension cord.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Config

Config

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Turbo Diesel
Thank you all for the info! I'm curious though, if the batteries are wired in parallel (as I have read in other posts), why would it be necessary to have 2 trickle chargers? That makes me slightly nervous to have 2 chargers pushing juice to two batteries on the same circuit.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
if the batteries are wired in parallel (as I have read in other posts), why would it be necessary to have 2 trickle chargers?
yes the batteries are wired in parallel, no need for two separate chargers, it may even cause them to not work properly.
Check out the 5A and 10A version of the NOCO chargers, you don't need to mount the charger on the truck, they have ends you can hardwire to the battery then just plugs into the charger.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thank you all for the info! I'm curious though, if the batteries are wired in parallel (as I have read in other posts), why would it be necessary to have 2 trickle chargers? That makes me slightly nervous to have 2 chargers pushing juice to two batteries on the same circuit.
You do not need one for each battery, bad advice.
As Crash said, get a Noco. I use their G7200 and sometimes their G10. I do not have them mounted in the truck as they are easy to connect and remove