low air flow on a/c

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
have a/c but very little air flow, is this the evaporator? i don't really want to tear my entire dash out...... i have no cabin air filter in this truck.
Is there increased air flow in any mode setting? Can you detect different blower speeds?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 114332 miles.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there increased air flow in any mode setting? Can you detect different blower speeds?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 114332 miles.
Started from 1 and working my way up to 7 will increase the flow on each number. Will also decrease as you go down, so I believe my doors are working. My next step is vacuuming out the entire system and adding 6 4oz cans into the system. I ordered 6 4oz cans of 1234yf from ebay which is supposed to be around 1.5lb of refrigerant. This is on my list for this weekend as it's only thing I can think to solve my issue. Also I noticed it does seem to be cooler and decent air flow if I point my vents down towards my legs instead of my face that way actually cools me down.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
next step is vacuuming out the entire system and adding 6 4oz cans into the system. I ordered 6 4oz cans of 1234yf from ebay which is supposed to be around 1.5lb of refrigerant.
Unless the evap coil is freezing up, the amount of refrigerant in the system has no bearing on the amount of airflow going through the system. The air coming out the vents the same with the AC on as it is when it's off.
If you turn the fan to speed 7 the system may automatically go into recirculation mode.
Is it an airflow issue? or a temperature issue?

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless the evap coil is freezing up, the amount of refrigerant in the system has no bearing on the amount of airflow going through the system. The air coming out the vents the same with the AC on as it is when it's off.
If you turn the fan to speed 7 the system may automatically go into recirculation mode.
Is it an airflow issue? or a temperature issue?
I thought it was air flow issue but maybe this is how low flow it is? It keeps me cool when it's pointed at my legs, but when it's at my face or chest I can't feel it and get warm.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not a AC guy , but what ever the charge is will have no bearing on air flow, it will on the temp. I don't thinking pumping in more is a great idea, unless you know its low on charge.
Make sure that the air flow is changing properly from floor, mid level and defrost.
From watching some Rainman Ray's repair Video's , on full blast AC , he is happy at 45-50F out of the center vent, by the radio.
You could stick a thermometer in there or hold it in front. of the vent and see what temp you are getting
BTW, I have a 14 as well with no filter, and it's working fine. I never turn it all the way up, and don't like to cold ant more.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It keeps me cool when it's pointed at my legs, but when it's at my face or chest I can't feel it and get warm.
If your saying you can feel the air blowing out the floor vents but not so much out of the dash vents, that sounds more like the damper than controls where the air is coming out is the problem.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your saying you can feel the air blowing out the floor vents but not so much out of the dash vents, that sounds more like the damper than controls where the air is coming out is the problem.
No, the vents that blow to your chest is the vents I'm talking about blowing towards my thigh which is how it keeps me cold or cool, if it's blowing at my chest or head it doesn't cool me down cause I can't feel it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
No, the vents that blow to your chest is the vents I'm talking about blowing towards my thigh which is how it keeps me cold or cool, if it's blowing at my chest or head it doesn't cool me down cause I can't feel it
This sounds more like you need air blowing on you physically to feel cool. You probably notice the lack of cooling the most when the sun is directly shining on you, some people are more sensitive to sunlight "heat" (infrared heating).
If the AC is capable of delivering at least 50°F (depending on outside conditions) air, the system is working fine.
Possibly try having an aftermarket dash fan blow on you.
Ram runs lower velocities in the HVAC system to reduce air and fan noises, it also help with more consistent temps throughout the cab.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This sounds more like you need air blowing on you physically to feel cool. You probably notice the lack of cooling the most when the sun is directly shining on you, some people are more sensitive to sunlight "heat" (infrared heating).
If the AC is capable of delivering at least 50°F (depending on outside conditions) air, the system is working fine.
Possibly try having an aftermarket dash fan blow on you.
Ram runs lower velocities in the HVAC system to reduce air and fan noises, it also help with more consistent temps throughout the cab.
Have 5% tint around the truck, but I'll put my temp gun on it idk why I didn't think of this.....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have 5% tint around the truck
Not all window tints block infrared or ultraviolet, that 5% is for the visible part of the light spectrum.

Rambo71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try closing the passenger side vents. See if that increases your air flow on the drivers side. There could be an obstruction in the vents going to the drivers side or a blend door issue. The cabin air filter mod will reduce the overall air flow slightly. I used to use my fan on 2 most of the time and had to go to 4 after I put the filter kit in.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I wonder if you can clean the evaporator with the foam Condenser spray that is used on a home AC and a way to collect the foam and water ? ? ]
Are you sure your Freon is 1234 ? and Not 134a ? In a google search I see R134a :O
As mentioned I would take it to a AC shop to get checked out! 1 Hr labor is cheaper then a new AC system because of using wrong freon !
Early 2014 had R134a and later 2014 had 1234 !

Last edited: