MDS engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigjaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 2500 5.7 non MDS with what I believe to have the cam and lifter failure.
I also have a 2014 1500 5.7 MDS truck that has been totaled, but it has a good engine and transmission in it.
Couple questions for the hive...
Can I swap the engines?
I can take the harness and pcm from the 1500 as well as the 8 speed trans as well.
The 2500 has a column shifter where the 1500 has the dial shifter. Is that an issue? I do have the entire dash harness too.
If this is something that I can do, how much power am I going to lose if any? Any thoughts or opinions are more than welcome. Thanks

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The engines are the same, just with different tunes, so if you move over the ECM as well it should be fairly simple (as simple as an engine swap can be). Pretty sure I've seen dial shifter conversions. Not sure how to do it but I believe it's doable.

As far as power, the 1500 makes 395hp and the 2500 makes 383hp, so you will actually be making more.

I'm far from an engine swap expert, but none of the things you listed stand out right away as being a major sticking point.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The cam and lifter failure issue is pretty specific to MDS engines I thought, so if you have a non-MDS truck it's got different lifters than an MDS truck - I believe. I may have bad information here.

That said yes you should be able to swap the engines and they'll bolt in. I can't say if the harnesses will match up but you'll want to use the 2500 harness if it fits, though going to the 8 speed could potentially cause you issues as I don't believe the 8 speed got into HD trucks until 2019? I'm sure guys who have looked into this will chime in but it sounds like you're going down a bit harder road. It can be done, it's just more involved than swapping motors.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The cam and lifter failure issue is pretty specific to MDS engines I thought, so if you have a non-MDS truck it's got different lifters than an MDS truck - I believe. I may have bad information here.

That said yes you should be able to swap the engines and they'll bolt in. I can't say if the harnesses will match up but you'll want to use the 2500 harness if it fits, though going to the 8 speed could potentially cause you issues as I don't believe the 8 speed got into HD trucks until 2019? I'm sure guys who have looked into this will chime in but it sounds like you're going down a bit harder road. It can be done, it's just more involved than swapping motors.

Cam and Lifter failure is not specific to MDS engines. Was happening way before MDS.

OP
OP
C

craigjaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, how about keeping the 6 speed trans? Will swapping the ECM have any issues with the trans?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So, how about keeping the 6 speed trans? Will swapping the ECM have any issues with the trans?

I've never done it. But first I'd check if you have really have cam/lifter issue. If you have, check on cost of just fixing it.
If you do all that work, and find out the 1500 does have issue month or two down the road.

Otherwise, if it was me, I'd swap as much as I could from 1500 to 2500.
You would likely have to get Tune as well for some computer parts you don't move. That alone could be $1000+

OP
OP
C

craigjaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the 1500 engine and trans are solid, I bought the truck last August with 140xxx on it. Had 170xxx when my wife hit a pole and totaled it. Only problem it has is the ac compressor broke the threads out of the timing cover. I'm thinking I could swep everything over cheaper than I could repair the 2500 engine. Parts alone are looking like $2500. I do have the facilities to get this done either way.