MDS question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
While I think that statement may be true, I also firmly believe that the small numbers of folks who participate on this forum directly influence a x10 fold number of folks, if not more.
most people are Followers.
I don't know about 10% but you're correct....there are others who don't talk about their problems on a forum. Fact is.....most people don't have an issue...which is a good thing.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I am new to this forum and Am I continually Confused and appalled at the girl like behavior of some of these posts. I am

Others may have a better answer but all i can tell you is how i did it. Forums are like real life. I just hung out here for a while without talking a whole lot, do a lot of listening it will take some time. You will eventually learn who is sincere, trying to help, knows their stuff, and who well... are full of it and trying to stir trouble. I just learned by reading on here alot. Before i started talking. Now this is coming from someone who is pretty mechanical, i can't even begin to imagine how you must feel if your not so much. There are alot of very good people on here regulars. You will even see cases of people looking up to others on here with respect and follow there advice as i have, because believe me they are on here religiously, and have put in the work and the time to make this forum what it is. I've been on many forums for many different brands of vehicles and i have to say this is by far the friendliest/best.

I hope this helps, PS another little trick i use and it may not be the case all the time, this may be a little psychology but if you compare the ratio of likes to posts and their close to equal, they are much more willing to be a positive source than maybe someone with twice the posts to likes. Now this ISN"T ALWAYS THE CASE. Just something to keep in mind.

Sorry i kindof messed up that quote a little.

And most importantly welcome, give the forum some time.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am new to this forum and Am I continually Confused and appalled at the girl like behavior of some of these posts. I am a 55 year old woman with a 16 2500 4×4. This is my 1st Dodge and I'm just trying to read these posts to learn about my vehicle. Not sure who to Believe.
Please define....girl like behavior. If you mean people bickering back and forth and offering up non factual data and opinions.....no need to respond. Happy New Year!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I am new to this forum and Am I continually Confused and appalled at the girl like behavior of some of these posts. I am a 55 year old woman with a 16 2500 4×4. This is my 1st Dodge and I'm just trying to read these posts to learn about my vehicle. Not sure who to Believe.

Tip top right corner of every page
Your Name, Inbox, ALerts

Hold your mouse over YOUR NAME
pop up window, right column, towards bottom of column
People you ignore
Click that
In the box that pops up start typing the name
name usually pops up just bellow
click it and press enter on yrou keyboard.

Might want to do the same for peopel you want to follow, which is just above Ignore feature

Makes for a much better reading forum
far more interesting with a ton less drivel or filler

PS
Notice who uses YOU YOU YOU or Me Mine I, very often or excessively.
Personal experience, they tend to be someone to ignore.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just went for a drive up town, used tow/haul, I see it will still switch to econo mode -4 cyl.
at 50km/ about 30mph. RPM never changed switching tow on or off, Lately, I have just been using the paddle buttons to shift down to 7 th gear, that keeps it running on all 8 cylinders.
I have the 8 speed 3.9 gears.
So I don't really see the point of running around in tow mode. does change the shift point, but will still lug the same , or not???
My 2009 would not run in 4 cylinder near as much as the 14 sport does, I would think to do with the transmission, Programming could be different.
All my trucks are stock. Never really thought about this stuff, till reading here. never had any motor, bolt trouble with any off them. up till last few yrs most of the driving was highway speeds, 60miles+

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just went for a drive up town, used tow/haul, I see it will still switch to econo mode -4 cyl.
at 50km/ about 30mph. RPM never changed switching tow on or off, Lately, I have just been using the paddle buttons to shift down to 7 th gear, that keeps it running on all 8 cylinders.
I have the 8 speed 3.9 gears.
So I don't really see the point of running around in tow mode. does change the shift point, but will still lug the same , or not???
My 2009 would not run in 4 cylinder near as much as the 14 sport does, I would think to do with the transmission, Programming could be different.
All my trucks are stock. Never really thought about this stuff, till reading here. never had any motor, bolt trouble with any of them. up till last few yrs most of the driving was highway speeds, 60miles+

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I've had MDS turned off (manually by selecting gears) essentially since I bought my truck with 8 miles on the odometer. I had read somewhere that the MDS could cause damage to the truck, specifically the dreaded lifter failure.
That was almost 5 years ago and I've done quite a bit of reading (and driving, I'm at 158,500 miles now) since then and I'm not sure it's true. Is there any actual evidence that the MDS could be the cause of any long term damage to the engine? I mean the system has been out for, what, 14 years or so now? I'd think if it was some horrible thing there'd be huge uproar and widespread failures but I still see a lot of 3rd gens and pre-2013 1500s with the 5.7 rolling around here. Not to mention all the other vehicles with the MDS in them on the road.
I'm not trying to debate if the MDS really does anything for fuel economy. I've let mine run for a few tanks of gas here and there and for my driving style and commute is does actually make a worthwhile difference when I hand calculate my mileage. I'd like to just let the MDS run but I'm concerned about it doing harm to the truck. I want to milk as many miles out of this thing as possible before I buy another truck so to me longevity trumps fuel economy.

So, what's the verdict? Is MDS actually harmful to the hemi or is that an old wives tale made up because we just love to hear that V8 growl all the time?

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we turn off MDS because it causes lifter failure.... hmmmm, don’t think so. The lifter failure was found to be caused by a bad batch of roller bearings. Hit and miss with the thousands made. Excessive idle time also accounted for some failures early on, police cars were always in the shop for this issue back in 2011-12. The crank, timing chain and cam on an MDS engine are actually more heavy duty than on the non MDS engines. All the genious’s in the world can’t tell you why they do it, they just do. Leave it alone, run the hell out of it and believe about 10% of what you read on here..... yes, I am “that guy”!

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Ok, I’ve been reading countless comments about the MDS. Vibrations, noises it makes etc. etc. I had a 17 w/MDS VVT 5.7 and now a 19 w/the same. My son has my 17 now. I’ve experimented with both trucks by using the manual shift to disengage the MDS and just drove them normally. I honestly cannot feel, hear or tell in anyway when the MDS kicks in or out on either truck under any circumstance. What in the world am I missing?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possibly they've found a way to smooth it out but mine just vibrates a little, unless i'm going over 65 then its fine. You will have to wait until someone with newer than 16 can tell you how theres does.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got a still new on the lot 2018 Ram 1500 last week....

If not for the ECO light in the dash I'd never know when MDS is active and when it isn't.

No vibration at all.... but if I listen, I can tell it through the exhaust note.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently in a 19 Classic 1500. Had a Used 16 and new 17. I have never heard or felt MDS kick in or out until I removed muffler and run with resonators. Now I occasionally hear it in exhaust sound which depends not only on speed but road grade.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can hear mine if I am jugging up the hill near home, with the window down, at about 30mph, it sounds like a 4 cylinder of course, but I can't feel it , being a old fart, hearing is poor.

OP
OP
RVGuy

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 2015 I could never tell when the MDS activated until I swapped to a magnaflow muffler. Now whenever MDS engages at low speeds I can hear and feel it, it's super loud and I'm pretty sure it's just the resonance of that sound causing the vibration. Still can't tell at highway speeds.

Tony Stark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 2500 with 6.4 and 4.10s. If I am paying attention I can feel a little vibration when MDS comes in if I am doing about 30 mph. Doesn’t bother me and helps mileage some.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned MDS off in my tune cause i hate the 4 cyl notes with aftermarket exhaust. Ive done the same in other applications that use a similar technology. Zero issues. Ive done my own testing before with other platforms and have tried to optimize the system to make it run at even higher loads/low throttle with success varying 4 cyl timing, locking up the torque converter earlier and later just shooting for a little more mpg etc etc. Still not something i want to run in the city and because of my conmute with hills and what not MDS is not something i care to have, and have always turned off as one of the first things i do when i can put my hands on my vehicle PCM and know the vehicle is equipped with such system. I have made it work great for fw driving only (mpg wise assuming the commute is on flat terrain), but the 4 cyl fart cannon notes and overall driveability on 4 cyl has always killed the desire on me to keep that system running every single time i've had it.

I wish MDS was an opt out option we could choose. i'll mark it as "FU" on that one again and again. I'm buying an 8 cyl vehicle, If i wanted less i'll buy one with less.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got a still new on the lot 2018 Ram 1500 last week....
If not for the ECO light in the dash I'd never know when MDS is active and when it isn't.
No vibration at all.... but if I listen, I can tell it through the exhaust note.
Wait till you swap out the stock exhaust to a louder one.
You'll HATE the MDS sound then.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait till you swap out the stock exhaust to a louder one.
You'll HATE the MDS sound then.
I won't be changing it... I'm well past the age of wanting to hear an engine roar for 2 hours just to go fishing.

I like a nice quiet ride.... and pulling the boat down the interstate quietly at 70 mph getting good gas mileage is far more important to me than loud exhaust.

Last edited:

nuge67

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2013
Engine
5.7 hemi
Possibly they've found a way to smooth it out but mine just vibrates a little, unless i'm going over 65 then its fine. You will have to wait until someone with newer than 16 can tell you how theres does.

I don't know about newer models. I can only speak for my 13. I've had it for about 2 years. The truck came with a Flowmaster 40. For a solid year, I had no idea mds was a thing, nevermind something my truck had.

Sure I would sometimes notice an exhaust note change, and wondered why. Never felt anything. Since joining this site, I hear it all of the time. Still does not bother me.

88k and no issues.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I won't be changing it... I'm well past the age of wanting to hear an engine roar for 2 hours just to go fishing.

I like a nice quiet ride.... and pulling the boat down the interstate quietly at 70 mph getting good gas mileage is far more important to me than loud exhaust.

That's what I thought too.
Like my stuff to be as silent as a Graveyard....until I heard this wondrous Hemi with a Magnaflow exhaust. Was with my Wife, she even turns to me and asks, :Why doesn;t your truck sound that good?"

Nice low volume deep rumble.
More James Earl Jones than Some WWE Star threatening what he is going do at the next pay per view.

Muffler is nice and quiet, slight deep thraoted Rumble, when I stomp the pedal, is gets louder but one does not stay on the pedal long and the deep thraoted sound makes me happy, which is why I do most things.