Mirror Adjustment Mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I acquired new sport package power folding mirrors for my express. The turn signal on my driver side mirror isn’t working and upon trying to remove the mirror glass (for what I thought might give me easier access to the LED) I broke some of the plastic from mechanism that moves the mirror. Everything still functions but I question the integrity. Is there a way to replace the mechanism by taking one from a donor mirror? I want to retain the color matched mirror and still need to replace my LED.

The PN on the mirror is 5RR551XRAF

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I’ve done it. You can use the motor and the glass from your Express mirror, works perfectly fine. I did the exact same thing.
Also the turn signals may not work until your dealer flashes the truck or you have AlfaOBD.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Look below the motor, did you see the black clip
If you push it over a bit, you may be able to take your signal light out if you wiggle the light

vqxx.jpg

EcGbaa.jpg

They say that the mirrors don't come apart
Find a mirror from a vehicle similar to yours & put the needed parts into yours

IWS27j.jpg

No, i was not tweaking when i disassembled it

0rjppr.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CLeng3940

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was able to find the black clip but I couldn’t get the light to drop out so I went for the mirror to give me better access to the clip.

I flashed everything in with alfaobd and both sides were working for a couple months before I noticed the drivers side was out.

I will try using the express mirror motor as a donor. If it’s not compatible for some reason I’ll attempt to find a decent one on car-part.com that I can part out.

thanks!

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was able to find the black clip but I couldn’t get the light to drop out so I went for the mirror to give me better access to the clip.

I flashed everything in with alfaobd and both sides were working for a couple months before I noticed the drivers side was out.

I will try using the express mirror motor as a donor. If it’s not compatible for some reason I’ll attempt to find a decent one on car-part.com that I can part out.

thanks!
You need to remove the three torx screws that hold the front cover on the mirror. That cover locks the puddle light in by over lapping on the lip of it. Then you pop that tab and the puddle light will come right out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-223551-picsay.png
    Screenshot_20210913-223551-picsay.png
    336.5 KB · Views: 9

ASoundLogic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to remove the three torx screws that hold the front cover on the mirror. That cover locks the puddle light in by over lapping on the lip of it. Then you pop that tab and the puddle light will come right out.
What is the best way to remove the mirror glass? Do you use a screw driver to depress the four clips? I saw a video where a someone used a mover's suction cup to pull their mirror glass off. I tried this, but it seemed like it was taking too much force. I didn't want to break anything.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
On the 2009 & 2016 trucks that i had & have ..............

I rotated the mirror down, leaving a opening at the top that i could look into.
I put on gloves because of the possibility of breaking glass

I placed my thumbs on the face of the mirror glass & 4 finger tips on the back side
Then i gave a jerk on the top side of the mirror, then i gave a slightly harder jerk & the top 2 clips released.
I looked behind the mirror again & wiggled it UP & towards my neck for a bit & it released the 2 lower clips.
I then detached the wires

If you should ever break the mirror glass, don't forget to switch the metal fingers from the old mirror, onto the new mirror glass

I read that they changed the mirrors a bit in 2018.
I would rotate the mirror down so that you can look behind the mirror & figure things out.

Maybe tell us how you had to do it :)

Last edited:

ASoundLogic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I think I have different mirrors. I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic, and I just took a look. I am not seeing these types of clips. It almost seems from the look of that you cannot remove the mirror glass the way it is clipped in. It is hard to tell. I will keep investigating. I took some pics, but it hard to get a proper photo.

Attachments

• 20220313_202622 - Copy.jpg
    20220313_202622 - Copy.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220313_202526 - Copy.jpg
    20220313_202526 - Copy.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 6

ASoundLogic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I found a video on YouTube. Here is the link: Different Side Mirror Connection This connection looks to be the kind that I have. The pertinent section starts at 3:40. I just have to figure out how the heck to pull the clip up and off with the mirror tilted down. Looks like this will be a fun one.

ASoundLogic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on 2019 ram 1500 classic - I replaced the puddle lights on the driver's and passenger's side mirrors. I also noticed that my driver's side mirror actuator was not working in the left/right direction and lost the metallic prong that supports the driver's side mirror in the process. As it turns out, the driver's side mirror needed the screwdriver technique and the passenger's side mirror needed the suction cup technique! They used two different kinds of connection schemes on each respective mirror! I couldn't believe it, but that is how they were. I bought a big suction cup from Lowes and the passenger's side one came off after some manipulating rather easily. You have to kind of pull out and up. Then, it just swung down along the two bottom tabs and was easily removed. It is just like the one showed earlier by GTyankee. For the the driver's side, it had a different connection. The screwdriver technique is 1000% the way to go. You may see people online talking about just prying the puddle light tab while the housing is still assembled to the mirror, and in my opinion, the best way to do it is to take the mirror glass off first, remove 3 torx screws, take off the plastic mirror housing, and then install the puddle light.