Mobil 1? Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you guys doing oil change at 3k miles or does this oil last longer? I have a new 2021. Don’t mind changing it early and often but I don’t want to be wasteful either

Depends on how long you plan to keep it, honestly.

I will not exceed 5k and or/ 2 times a year.

The oil change monitor will give you about 10,000 miles between changes and will get you past the 60,000 mile warranty most likely.

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depends on how long you plan to keep it, honestly.

I will not exceed 5k and or/ 2 times a year.

The oil change monitor will give you about 10,000 miles between changes and will get you past the 60,000 mile warranty most likely.

I do want to keep the truck long term so I will do oil at or before 5k miles. Probably means 2 changes per year with no towing

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll experience down to 40 below in winter and 100 in the summer. Short trips at highway speeds, mostly stop and go around town, in a pretty dusty environment. Hence I swap mine out every spring and fall, regardless of how few miles I've got. As I've read here and elsewhere, oil is cheap, engines are not.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do want to keep the truck long term so I will do oil at or before 5k miles. Probably means 2 changes per year with no towing

I asked because some people only keep the truck for 3-5 years and it will lower the cost of ownership in that time period.
It can go for longer oil changes, however, there are the lifters roller bearings, piston rings, etc. that need to be kept clean and not get a chance to sludge up or anything.

Mine last year got changed once, only because I didn't drive it more than 800 miles and that was before the fall - it actually sat all winter. So, I changed it at the 1 year mark.
I generally used the truck for trips and the oil gets changed after every 3-5000 miles. (generally after every trip and some are towing)

I usually use Pennzoil platinum 5-20 and Redline 0-30 oil mix to keep cost down. 5 qts. Penn, 2 qts Redline.
I also use Royal Purple, NAPA Gold/Platinum, Mopar SRT or Fram ULTRA oil filters, they tend to keep any startup lifter tick away much better - my truck can sit for weeks without starting and still be quiet on startup. OEM stock oil filters tend to give me a few second startup lifter tick after a few hundred mile. I prefer the larger than stock RP filters, still have to try the larger NAPA filters.

My motor is exceptionally quiet.

Last edited:

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just because your instructors were wrong 40 years ago no reason to keep clinging to it lol..
https://jalopnik.com/you-can-totally-call-an-engine-a-motor-1818860405
Ha... Very good article indeed, thanks! It's pretty tough to get over it after all these years when a whole class full of "motor-heads" never let me forget the comment. Even then noting if the instructor should ask me if I was going to ride my "enginecycle" home after class...
With all of this discussion about "motor" oil....
"My motor is exceptionally quiet."

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I’ve been in the dodge dealership with my other diesel truck for air bag. The kid goes to the big barrel of oil labeled 0w40 to get oil. I didn’t see any signs like Pennzoil Platinum on it other than 0w40. So what oil brand they using??

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha... Very good article indeed, thanks! It's pretty tough to get over it after all these years when a whole class full of "motor-heads" never let me forget the comment. Even then noting if the instructor should ask me if I was going to ride my "enginecycle" home after class...

"What's the difference between a motor and an engine? ... The Oxford English Dictionary defines “motor” as a machine that supplies motive power for a vehicle or other device with moving parts. Similarly, it tells us that an engine is a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion."

Stay out of from under my bonnet :)

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I’ve been in the dodge dealership with my other diesel truck for air bag. The kid goes to the big barrel of oil labeled 0w40 to get oil. I didn’t see any signs like Pennzoil Platinum on it other than 0w40. So what oil brand they using??
perhaps mopar which is probably pennzoil....or who knows.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all this motor talk has me wanting to listen to some night ranger sister christian or the real deal motorhead lemmy.

I remember being corrected years ago too but Ford motor company, Mopar motor and parts, harley moco all those came long before we did tho and they were not running EV back then..

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve put Mobil 1 in mine since the first oil change. If Pennzoil would make the oil available to my local parts guy, I would use it. I didn’t like that I was being forced to use the dealer(not a fan of their service department) or buy over the internet. So, if the 6.4 can’t run on Mobil 1, I will change over to a truck that can.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Then tell me why the Chrysler shop says it's ok and won't void warranty????I've seen a few threads...but the shop themselves said it's ok

Will they put it in writting? If not, then you may not like the FCA answer.

Matt ott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am a retired A/P mechanic and yes they can be hard on a guy in school. I use Castrol 0w40 and a 15 oz. bottle of lubgard in my Powerwagon, i think my motor/engine runs quiet with the Castrol versus the Mobil 1, just my thoughts..

kong79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've run Mobil 1 (Mobile Uno in French:)) in both of our Rams and my Challenger. All three were purchased new from a dealer. All three had as part of the purchase agreement that we receive five free oil changes using Mobil 1 oil. None of the dealers balked, no one told us that it would void our warranty, and all three kept Mobil 1 in stock. The closest thing to a complaint was one dealer telling us " Mopar synthetic is just as good." Maybe, but I'm not willing to take a chance.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will they put it in writting? If not, then you may not like the FCA answer.
What also needs to be taken into account is that if you had an engine fail, the dealer (or FCA/Stellantis) would then have to sample your oil and somehow verify that it was indeed the incorrect oil (hard to do without having done a sample of the clean oil where first put in during the oil change if the specs are already very close to the recommended oil), and then attribute the failure to using the wrong type of oil. Personally I think the odds of that happening is VERY low, but we all make decisions everyday about how much risk we are willing to take.

Over my life, having worked in a quick lube, at a place with an oil lab, and having worked on vehicles and engines for most of my life, I have never seen an engine fail due to either "incorrect" oil or oil not being changed soon enough. It may have happened somewhere on the internet, I just haven't personally seen it, and I work with a fleet of 300 vehicles. Back in the day of every 3 months or 3k miles I changed a Civic with 60k on the odometer and it never had the oil changed and somehow that engine didn't explode, even though online forums would make you believe it should have. Based on my personal experience I run Mobil 1 or Walmart (whichever is on sale) and do an oil sample every change (~10k miles). I do the oil sample just to see if any parts are beginning to wear.

Rod H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Talked to dealer today..he said mobile 1 does not void warranty and has some customers who request it over pennzoil (the recommended) any input? Even seen a guy who claims the hemi tick is more with mobile 1 to story's of being able to void warranty??? Any ideas? Need and oil change..just drove to Kentucky for a new toy!View attachment 244657

Rod H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Talked to dealer today..he said mobile 1 does not void warranty and has some customers who request it over pennzoil (the recommended) any input? Even seen a guy who claims the hemi tick is more with mobile 1 to story's of being able to void warranty??? Any ideas? Need and oil change..just drove to Kentucky for a new toy!View attachment 244657

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check a new bottle of mobil1 and you'll see it meets the MS6395 so go ahead and use it. Whether it's approved or not any sample taken would have to show the oil didn't meet spec to deny coverage. It does. Just make sure the bottle has it listed as not every variance of their synthetic lists it. Seems like it was just a bit of a **** block from shell (parent to penzoil) and now that peugot is is the mix with a tie to Mobil 1 (stellantis now vs FCA) they got the cert recently. Shell also makes the fluid for the ZF transmissions so maybe some other fluids could get approval for that down the road as well. Not holding my breath though. The US site has it recommended for the MS6395 even in the base silver cap. The Canadian site doesn't show it yet, but I'm sure they'll update it soon.

Last edited:

Smudge

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Is it possible the guy at the dealership is confusing a 6.4 with the 5.7? Because Mobil1 5w20 does meet FCA’s requirements for the 5.7. ‍♂️