More trouble with the coolant system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I got a combustion leak test kit with O'Reilly's tool loaning thing. I followed the instructions, drained some coolant so it was a few inches below the filler, warmed the engine up and put the tester in with some fluid. When the water pump started the coolant rose up to the tester and coolant came into the tester. It erupted again when I shut it off. How can I prevent this and get reliable results with the tester?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How long did it take for this to occur ? Next trip get a pressure tester for the radiator, see if the cooling system holds , might be a bad head gasket.

You could try removing the t stat and cutting the guts out so that it’s just the outer ring instead. This will slow the flow of coolant so the radiator can still cool the fluid.

OP
OP
David Vandercook

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, this time I drained a bit more coolant out and restricted the flow a bit with a clamp. For about a minute It was going fine, I was pumping the tester, the fluid stayed blue. Then the coolant started rising and it started pumping coolant into the tester again.