My new Key Fob disaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Spent 2 hours at a local locksmith - they couldn't program a new key fob.
Told me I need to go to the local Dodge Ram Dealer for the key pin # they can look up using the VIN - travel to the dealer, the dealer printed out the pin # and I returned to the locksmith, to their surprise the dealer didn't charge me for that.
2nd time they still couldn't program it even with the pin #. they tried another tablet computer and said they do similar key fobs all the time and they never had trouble before, since my truck is a 2021 Classic they tried programming it with a 2018 model.
They finally gave up and told me I must go to the dealer and have them program the key fob.
I returned to the dealer for a 2nd time as I was pulling in the dealers parking lot the locksmith called me and told me to bring it back, I brought it back to the locksmith and he had it programmed in 3 minutes
What he did wrong was use the wrong cable with his tablet-computer in programming it.
Charged me $125
Even when I spent a lot of time running back and forth to the dealer twice the locksmith was still less money than what the dealer would have charged me.IMG_1636.JPG

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spent 2 hours at a local locksmith - they couldn't program a new key fob.
Told me I need to go to the local Dodge Ram Dealer for the key pin # they can look up using the VIN - travel to the dealer, the dealer printed out the pin # and I returned to the locksmith, to their surprise the dealer didn't charge me for that.
2nd time they still couldn't program it even with the pin #. they tried another tablet computer and said they do similar key fobs all the time and they never had trouble before, since my truck is a 2021 Classic they tried programming it with a 2018 model.
They finally gave up and told me I must go to the dealer and have them program the key fob.
I returned to the dealer for a 2nd time as I was pulling in the dealers parking lot the locksmith called me and told me to bring it back, I brought it back to the locksmith and he had it programmed in 3 minutes
What he did wrong was use the wrong cable with his tablet-computer in programming it.
Charged me $125
Even when I spent a lot of time running back and forth to the dealer twice the locksmith was still less money than what the dealer would have charged me.View attachment 546269
Is the ignition the type where U insert key to be read by RF hub/win module? Cause them suckers are picky, LOL.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
KeyFOB wrong frequency?