Need a new remote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need another remote for my 2021. Don't want to spend dealer prices. Yall have a reputable inexpensive place to purchase one from? I know I need to get it programmed unless yall have a way to do it without going to a locksmith or stealership? Lol.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Look at Home Depot
Need another remote for my 2021. Don't want to spend dealer prices. Yall have a reputable inexpensive place to purchase one from? I know I need to get it programmed unless yall have a way to do it without going to a locksmith or stealership? Lol.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the cheapest way to get a new remote for your truck and do it all yourself:
- Fob:

- JScan OBD app (alfaobd can not program a fob for your truck)

- OBD interface:

- Security gateway bypass:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Find the cheapest deal you can on an OEM Fob. It will be a LOT cheaper just to have a locksmith program it, unless you have a bunch of other stuff you want to program too. Option, check your locksmith's price on a new FOB, they then stand behind the FOB both for programming success as well as warranty. About 80% of non-OEM key fobs fail to program, the locksmith will charge you for the program attempt as it is not his FOB, or kick within 6 months.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
This is the cheapest way to get a new remote for your truck and do it all yourself:
- Fob:

- JScan OBD app (alfaobd can not program a fob for your truck)

- OBD interface:

- Security gateway bypass:
Incorrect. Alpha OBD 100% can program a fob for his truck. I have the same truck and I programmed two new fobs after I lost one of my originals which I later found. So I currently have four fobs two from Amazon that were blanks unprogrammed.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, it's an app for your phone. The free version will work. The paid version is even better If you plan on doing a lot of tinkering.
Can't make changes to the BCM with the free version. But it will show you how to do what you want.

OP will need a security bypass cable too. Kaodtech is the place to go for that.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Incorrect. Alpha OBD 100% can program a fob for his truck. I have the same truck and I programmed two new fobs after I lost one of my originals which I later found. So I currently have four fobs two from Amazon that were blanks unprogrammed.
Not sure what truck you have. The OP has a 2021 5th gen DT 1500. As of 7 days ago, alfaobd can’t, and hasn’t been able to, pull the PIN and program fobs to a 2019+ 5th gen DT 1500 Ram.
It can program fobs for 4th gen 1500 Ram trucks.
If you truly did program fobs to a 2019+ 5th gen DT 1500 Ram, please post the exact steps for the benefit of ALL 5th gen DT Ram owners across all Ram forums that have not been able to do this with alfaobd for years.
Also, please post the link to the Amazon fobs you used.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info. I'd really like to reprogram both remotes. I bought it used and am worried( not that worried) that someone can break in if they have the other remote. It can happen. Thanks.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for all the info. I'd really like to reprogram both remotes. I bought it used and am worried( not that worried) that someone can break in if they have the other remote. It can happen. Thanks.
How in the world would the person with the other remote ever track down this pickup. There are unfortunately an awful lot of way easier ways to steal a pickup than searching for the one that matches an orphan remote.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Not sure what truck you have. The OP has a 2021 5th gen DT 1500. As of 7 days ago, alfaobd can’t, and hasn’t been able to, pull the PIN and program fobs to a 2019+ 5th gen DT 1500 Ram.
It can program fobs for 4th gen 1500 Ram trucks.
If you truly did program fobs to a 2019+ 5th gen DT 1500 Ram, please post the exact steps for the benefit of ALL 5th gen DT Ram owners across all Ram forums that have not been able to do this with alfaobd for years.
Also, please post the link to the Amazon fobs you used.
It's pretty much the exact same process. Nothing complicated about it. Not sure what you're talking about 7 days ago. The alpha hasn't been able to do it. Alpha's been able to do it since the 5th gins were released well shortly after. There even tutorials on here in this forum of guys have used alpha to program the fobs for 5th gen. Really unsure what you're talking about. Kid. I've done six company trucks here so far. Most of our vehicles are Fords but the supervisors are allowed to have whatever brand they want and so far we have six 5th gen Rams. Two are rebels. We ensure that every vehicle has four key fobs, one stays with the driver, a spare at the driver's house and one spare at each of our two offices. That way there's always a key close by if needed.

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find the cheapest deal you can on an OEM Fob. It will be a LOT cheaper just to have a locksmith program it, unless you have a bunch of other stuff you want to program too. Option, check your locksmith's price on a new FOB, they then stand behind the FOB both for programming success as well as warranty. About 80% of non-OEM key fobs fail to program, the locksmith will charge you for the program attempt as it is not his FOB, or kick within 6 months.
3 Ebay keyfobs for Ram trucks. All 3 programmed properly.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's pretty much the exact same process. Nothing complicated about it. Not sure what you're talking about 7 days ago. The alpha hasn't been able to do it. Alpha's been able to do it since the 5th gins were released well shortly after. There even tutorials on here in this forum of guys have used alpha to program the fobs for 5th gen. Really unsure what you're talking about. Kid. I've done six company trucks here so far. Most of our vehicles are Fords but the supervisors are allowed to have whatever brand they want and so far we have six 5th gen Rams. Two are rebels. We ensure that every vehicle has four key fobs, one stays with the driver, a spare at the driver's house and one spare at each of our two offices. That way there's always a key close by if needed.

Leave out the insults...

You can come do my 21 Rebel 5th Gen. Cause AlphaODB can not, as @Jimmy07 said, Alexey is aware . Jscan does work.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's pretty much the exact same process. Nothing complicated about it. Not sure what you're talking about 7 days ago. The alpha hasn't been able to do it. Alpha's been able to do it since the 5th gins were released well shortly after. There even tutorials on here in this forum of guys have used alpha to program the fobs for 5th gen. Really unsure what you're talking about. Kid.
Trust me, I know more about using alfaobd on these ram trucks than the developer even knows (I’ve instructed him on some settings to add based on a more updated version of CDA6 than he uses).
By “as of 7 days ago”, I meant that was the last time I checked on his progress for getting the fob programming working on the 5th gen rams, and he is getting close.

The first thing that needs to be done in order to program a fob is to read the PIN from the RF Hub. Here is a video I just took of me trying to read the PIN on a 2019 5th gen 1500. First screen shows the VIN for verification, and next screen shows that it is the current version of alfaobd.

As you can see it fails to even pull the PIN, and it always has failed since 5th gen 1500s came out.
If you continue to say that you program fobs to 5th gen 1500s, you are straight up lying. Otherwise, your next post in this thread will be you posting a video just like mine, showing the VIN, version, and a successful PIN pull. And before you say something like “Oh, I just get the PIN from the dealership parts department”, no, you didn’t. The PIN you get from the dealership parts department is a 4 digit, and the PIN required on standalone programmers for the 5th gen, like alfaobd and JScan, require a 5 digit PIN.

To anyone else that comes across this thread wanting to program fobs to a 5th gen 1500, and don’t already have alfaobd, do not spend the money on it because it CAN NOT do it right now. Get JScan instead.

This is a video I did of programming a fresh eBay fob with JScan just this morning (note the VIN, as it’s the same as the alfaobd attempt):

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Jimmy07 - very good to have you on here contributing your deep expertise. There are a great many that have and will benefit from your contributions. I know I have. Thanks.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How in the world would the person with the other remote ever track down this pickup. There are unfortunately an awful lot of way easier ways to steal a pickup than searching for the one that matches an orphan remote.
Just curious. It probably can happen. Not that it would. Just curious if it can be done? That's all.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just curious. It probably can happen. Not that it would. Just curious if it can be done? That's all.
There is a function for that situation called erase ignition keys. So, you would erase them all from the truck, then reprogram the one that you do have back to the truck (along with any additional new ones). This will render any other fobs that belonged to the truck that you don’t have useless.