Need info on towing a car long distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2007 Chrysler 300 2.7l that Im going to need to tow from St Louis to upper Michigan and interested in knowing if it would be feasible to do so with my Big Horn.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Enclosed trailer or open trailer? Either way you will need trailer brakes and a WDH (weight distribution hitch). If an enclosed trailer you will struggle a little more cause of the brick behind you cutting through the air. Open trailer will be lighter and less wind resistance. Shouldn't have any trouble

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Enclosed trailer or open trailer? Either way you will need trailer brakes and a WDH (weight distribution hitch). If an enclosed trailer you will struggle a little more cause of the brick behind you cutting through the air. Open trailer will be lighter and less wind resistance. Shouldn't have any trouble
Eh...if he's using a flat bed and loads it properly, keeps his speed down and takes it easy, he may not need a WDH. Some flatbeds are difficult at best to put them on anyway. I've loaded ours up to actually probably over its GVW (oops) and it still pulled fine, the tires were just a little closer to the fenders than I was comfortable with.

But the brakes, for sure. Most flatbeds that are considered car haulers or equipment trailers will have them on at least one axle (mine happens to have them on both). He'll need a controller if he doesn't already have one, I recommend the integrated one, period, because you never know if you're going to need it again. There are some aftermarket ones out there that are decent but IMHO none are as good as the ITBC because it actually syncs the brakes on the trailer to the brakes on the truck, not a signal from the brakes and then guessing what the actual braking force is.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Eh...if he's using a flat bed and loads it properly, keeps his speed down and takes it easy, he may not need a WDH. Some flatbeds are difficult at best to put them on anyway. I've loaded ours up to actually probably over its GVW (oops) and it still pulled fine, the tires were just a little closer to the fenders than I was comfortable with.

But the brakes, for sure. Most flatbeds that are considered car haulers or equipment trailers will have them on at least one axle (mine happens to have them on both). He'll need a controller if he doesn't already have one, I recommend the integrated one, period, because you never know if you're going to need it again. There are some aftermarket ones out there that are decent but IMHO none are as good as the ITBC because it actually syncs the brakes on the trailer to the brakes on the truck, not a signal from the brakes and then guessing what the actual braking force is.
I've towed vehicles on flatbed trailers several times and never even gave a thought to a WDH. In fact, of all the trailers I have towed in my life (a lot) - both open and enclosed - I have never used a WDH and I have never once had an issue.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've towed vehicles on flatbed trailers several times and never even gave a thought to a WDH. In fact, of all the trailers I have towed in my life (a lot) - both open and enclosed - I have never used a WDH and I have never once had an issue.
Yeah, with basically any kind of cargo trailer you can usually play with the weight at least a little and get it good enough that you don't need a WDH. RVs are really the only time it becomes a necessity, and that's just because you can't really do much to affect the weight - even if you piled all your gear in the back, you probably won't reduce the tongue weight by much.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to tow an Owens Classic 18' beavertail and used a WDH with it. Towed it with my 1979 Chevy K1500. Later I bought my own 18' beavertail and towed up to about a 5500# Chevy Blazer. I did not have a WDH for that but since the OP seems to be newer to towing I think a WDH would be a good idea

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Use a U-Haul tow dollie where the car rear wheels stay on the ground. I have towed a few cars this way thousands of miles and for me is just a comfortable ride. Trailer has electric brakes, low tongue weight, and easy on/off.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think we have another drive-by question. OP hasn't been back here since they posted this.

Pretty much. Probably saw the first reply's 'Sure!' and stopped reading there, and has trusted his buddy to get everything set up right. Happens all the time.

For their sake and everyone around them, I hope his buddy is good at getting the weights right and everything strapped down.

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Still debating, but most likely a drive on trailer and not a dolly.

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
how does one delete these messages??

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Use a U-Haul tow dollie where the car rear wheels stay on the ground. I have towed a few cars this way thousands of miles and for me is just a comfortable ride. Trailer has electric brakes, low tongue weight, and easy on/off.
Thats the plan, but Im also debating whether or not towing the junker is worth it or not. Dolly is way cheaper though, but not really sure of other benefits from using it.

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think we have another drive-by question. OP hasn't been back here since they posted this.
Sorry, Ive been a bit busy lately. DOT drug screens, running all over town and such...forgot about the post, but Im here.

Man, this quote system really sucks....

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I used to tow an Owens Classic 18' beavertail and used a WDH with it. Towed it with my 1979 Chevy K1500. Later I bought my own 18' beavertail and towed up to about a 5500# Chevy Blazer. I did not have a WDH for that but since the OP seems to be newer to towing I think a WDH would be a good idea
Ive towed the car once before with my truck but that was just across town. Honestly, Im more worried if I should because, though I forgot to mention, that even though its a 2022 Ive less than 14k miles on the odometer. Its still technically not even broken in yet.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive towed the car once before with my truck but that was just across town. Honestly, Im more worried if I should because, though I forgot to mention, that even though its a 2022 Ive less than 14k miles on the odometer. Its still technically not even broken in yet.
14,000 miles is plenty

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thats the plan, but Im also debating whether or not towing the junker is worth it or not. Dolly is way cheaper though, but not really sure of other benefits from using it.
The biggest benefit I see is that the tongue weight is reduced, but also if some benefit is the lower center of gravity by not having the towed vehicle up in the air. And of course the cheaper cost you hit on. Whether the vehicle is worth it, that is your call, but my two cents is that a front wheel drive with 4 snows is much better driving in snow. I lived about 40 years where winters were routinely in the hundreds of inches so I have a lot of experience. I kept my truck parked in winter and saved the body from rust.

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The biggest benefit I see is that the tongue weight is reduced, but also if some benefit is the lower center of gravity by not having the towed vehicle up in the air. And of course the cheaper cost you hit on. Whether the vehicle is worth it, that is your call, but my two cents is that a front wheel drive with 4 snows is much better driving in snow. I lived about 40 years where winters were routinely in the hundreds of inches so I have a lot of experience. I kept my truck parked in winter and saved the body from rust.
yeah thats pretty much the only reason why I have the car still...its the rusty pile and really not worth saving, but I bought it in Michigan and moving back there and dont want the truck to be in the same boat. I really dont want to put miles on the truck towing the car either.....I dunno, I might just scrap the car and buy another beater up there when I get back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KW_RAM